🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:00:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 115
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 216556 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »

I tend to be with RedPrometheus on this one. Due to his often erratic behavior it often seemed unclear what Gabriel actually stands for. He changed his mind so often. I also can't actually see him as a "great" Chancellor. But credit where credit is due... he managed to become the third-longest serving post-WWII SPD chairman, following Willy Brandt and Erich Ollenhauer in the 50s. If he were return to the top post he'd stand a chance at eventually becoming the SPD leader with the second-longest combined tenure.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »

A new shock poll from Emnid for the BamS:

CDU/CSU: 30%
SPD: 19%
Greens: 15%
FDP: 8%
Left: 10%
AfD: 13%
Others: 5%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/emnid.htm
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2019, 04:41:29 AM »

What's shocking about it - the SPD recovery?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2019, 05:07:39 AM »

Good the SPD bounces back, but 19% is still a ridiculously low number for such the party. The potential is much higher, but we have to play the right cards with the right personell.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »

What's shocking about it - the SPD recovery?

I would say so Cheesy
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2019, 06:17:52 AM »

New European Parliament election out from Forschungsgruppe Wahlen:

CDU/CSU 33%
Greens 19%
SPD 18%
AfD 10%
Left 8%
FDP 6%

The numbers are not much different from the last Infratest EP poll from last week, except that the Left is a bit stronger, and the FDP a bit weaker.

FGW has also released a Bundestag election poll today:

CDU/CSU 31%
Greens 20%
SPD 15%
AfD 13%
Left 9%
FDP 7%

I noticed that the AfD tends to be abit weaker in European election polls than in Bundestag polls, maybe due to Brexit anxiety? When the AfD discussed its EP election platform it made the news that they might support a withdrawal of Germany from the EU.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

I really have a hard time believing anyone who would vote for the AfD at the federal level would switch to another party in the EP elections because of their European platform. All of this also goes against everything we know with regards to European elections (second order elections and such). I really have no way of understanding how this weaker result in the Euro polls comes about.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »

I really have a hard time believing anyone who would vote for the AfD at the federal level would switch to another party in the EP elections because of their European platform. All of this also goes against everything we know with regards to European elections (second order elections and such). I really have no way of understanding how this weaker result in the Euro polls comes about.

Different turnout/interest patterns.

History in Austria shows that FPÖ-voters are much more likely to turn out for national elections than for EU elections, because far-right voters don't really care about the EU or think everything is rotten in the EU, which is why many stay at home.

Supporters of other parties are more likely to turn out, so this creates the 2-3% differences in EU elections compared with national elections.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »

Yeah, the German voters who turned out for the Euro elections have always been somewhat more pro-European than average. Surprised at the rather large difference for the SPD though.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2019, 07:24:22 AM »

Yeah, the German voters who turned out for the Euro elections have always been somewhat more pro-European than average. Surprised at the rather large difference for the SPD though.

I could imagine that Barley is more popular than Nahles.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »

I could imagine that Barley is more popular than Nahles.

Making center-left voters vote SPD instead of the Greens? Probably. Doesn't really show up in the numbers, though.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »

Different turnout/interest patterns.

History in Austria shows that FPÖ-voters are much more likely to turn out for national elections than for EU elections, because far-right voters don't really care about the EU or think everything is rotten in the EU, which is why many stay at home.

Supporters of other parties are more likely to turn out, so this creates the 2-3% differences in EU elections compared with national elections.

I think this might be different this time in various countries of the EU and poses a threat to the stability of the European parliament. The AfD will be in double digits despite their recent scandals over donations and other stuff. The right feels emboldened and wants to undermine the EU by voting for AfD/FPÖ or Front National.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »

CDU leader sparks row with joke about gender-neutral bathrooms

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer criticised for ‘disrespectful’ comment at carnival event

She was sold as a “mini Merkel”, a centrist in the same liberal mould as her predecessor as leader of Germany’s Christian Democratic Union. But Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has worked hard to court the conservative wing of her party since taking the top job, leading to controversy over comments she made about gender-neutral bathrooms.

Entertaining an audience at a carnival event in Baden-Württemberg last Thursday, Kramp-Karrenbauer – who was voted “Miss Homophobia 2018” by an LGBT group last year – said such bathrooms were “for the men who don’t know if they are still allowed to stand or already have to sit down when they pee”.

The CDU leader, who is favourite to succeed Merkel as Germany’s chancellor, made the comments at the High Favourable Court of Fools, a traditional carnival event in Stockach where a prominent guest is put on trial in front of a jury in jester hats.

Remarking on the fact she was facing an all-male jury, Kramp-Karrenbauer said women had been forced to become more emancipated because modern men were too feeble, especially the “latte macchiato delegation” in the liberal German capital.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/04/cdu-leader-annegret-kramp-karrenbauer-gender-neutral-bathrooms-row
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer criticised for ‘disrespectful’ comment at carnival event

She was sold as a “mini Merkel”, a centrist in the same liberal mould as her predecessor as leader of Germany’s Christian Democratic Union. But Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has worked hard to court the conservative wing of her party since taking the top job, leading to controversy over comments she made about gender-neutral bathrooms.

AKK correctly calculated that the move would be net vote gainer. Merkel silently approves. (That smirk, of course, is a product of your imagination.)
RedPrometheus

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »

AKK correctly calculated that the move would be net vote gainer. Merkel silently approves. (That smirk, of course, is a product of your imagination.)

Apparently conservatives in the CDU are now hoping for a conservative revolution (heard it on a DF podcast)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2019, 05:49:53 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2019, 06:08:15 AM by Ye Olde Europe »

It's not exactly news that AKK, who was generally seen as the most moderate/liberal candidate  in last year's CDU leadership election, was also the most conservative of the three with regards to LGBTI rights... while Jens Spahn, who was often seen as the most right-wing candidate in that election, was probably also the most progressive of the three on LGBTI rights (albeit mostly due to personal reasons).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2019, 05:41:22 AM »

Wolfgang Kubicki, deputy chairman of the FDP and one of the Bundestag's five vice presidents, has demanded the expulsion of U.S. ambassador Richard Grenell from Germany:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/nach-kritik-am-wehretat-kubicki-fordert-ausweisung-von-us-botschafter-grenell/24119308.html
RedPrometheus

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2019, 01:17:08 AM »

Today I have to travel to Berlin as a delegate for the SPD conference that decides the platform for the European elections. Apparently Martin Schulz was not invited by „accident“

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/martin-schulz-kommt-nicht-zum-spd-europakonvent-a-1259214.html
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2019, 03:48:48 AM »

I was reading on the European Politico website that the German government will most likely collapse this year and new elections will be held. Is there any truth to that?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2019, 09:15:15 AM »

I was reading on the European Politico website that the German government will most likely collapse this year and new elections will be held. Is there any truth to that?

People were predicting earlier that if AKK didn't win there would be new elections to cement the legitimacy of a new CDU, but AKK won...
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »

People were predicting earlier that if AKK didn't win there would be new elections to cement the legitimacy of a new CDU, but AKK won...

No, I read this yesterday, and it had nothing to do with AKK, it was about the SPD pulling out of the coalition due to their tanking poll numbers
RedPrometheus

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »

No, I read this yesterday, and it had nothing to do with AKK, it was about the SPD pulling out of the coalition due to their tanking poll numbers

It depends a lot on the state election in Bremen. If we lose it it will be very hard for the leadership of the SPD to keep us in the coalition.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »

It depends a lot on the state election in Bremen. If we lose it it will be very hard for the leadership of the SPD to keep us in the coalition.

And how likely is it that the SPD loses Bremen?
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2019, 03:12:32 AM »

RTL/ntv Trendbarometer comparison of approval rating between Merkel's 2018 average numbers and AKK now. AKK generally lower, most significantly with young voters, CDU voters and Green voters. However, her deficit with CSU voters and 45+ are slightly less than the average deficit, she is almost as popular as Merkel among FDP voters, and clearly more popular among AfD voters.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2019, 05:31:41 AM »

Well, there's a so-called evaluation clause in the CDU/CSU-SPD coalition agreement which cames into effect after half the current Bundestag's term is up (in October/November this year). Both the SPD and the CDU under AKK have repeatedly stressed that they're going the re-evaluate the government very thoroughly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 115  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies