Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:24:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 203400 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »

How are the races in KY and IN going to be reported this year? I know in presidential years that they both close their polls at 7, to accommodate the central time zone areas. Will they wait until 7 for the western part of their states, or will the eastern results come in at 6, while the central ones come in at 7?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »

Good news for the Dems in FL is that Panhandle turnout is quite low so far, especially in the most hurricane-damaged counties.

Democrats should start a new campaign and encourage panhandle to secede from Florida and join Alabama.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »

How are the races in KY and IN going to be reported this year? I know in presidential years that they both close their polls at 7, to accommodate the central time zone areas. Will they wait until 7 for the western part of their states, or will the eastern results come in at 6, while the central ones come in at 7?

Probably going to report the numbers as they come in, but hold off on any projections untill all the polls have closed in those states.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »

Looks like 538 will have a neat real-time forecast. Dems +36 in House and Rs +1 in Senate for now.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »

Steve Schale said Florida is looking where he thought it would be (R+2).

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »

Good night! I hope you awake to good exit polls!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »

Important to note that this is Eday voters, not overall results or the end margin (FL has a lot of registered dixiecrats and RINOs). But it is basically what we new from before, unless a unusual number of partisans break ranks, Florida as usual will come down to the Independent vote.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »

It’s weird how that bolds well for Nelson and Gillum
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

A cool tracker of turnout in Philadelphia by ward: https://jtannen.github.io/election_tracker.html

Based on self-reporting though, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »

I'm a pollworker at my local precinct and the line has been steady for the entire 3 hours we've been open.

Where do you live in Michigan?

Flint exurbs
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »

Anecdotal, but a very non-political friend of mine who moved out of Texas 10+ years ago but is still registered there said that a Beto volunteer phone banked her yesterday.

The O'Rourke ground game could be severely underestimated if this is the norm.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »

A cool tracker of turnout in Philadelphia by ward: https://jtannen.github.io/election_tracker.html

Based on self-reporting though, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt.

It looks like the one ward that is colored yellow with disproportionately high turnout is the ward with the University of Pennsylvania. So that looks like probably very good student/youth turnout there FWIW.

Of course they must all be voting R because Trump is a Wharton alum.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2018, 01:47:25 PM »

Anecdotal, but a very non-political friend of mine who moved out of Texas 10+ years ago but is still registered there said that a Beto volunteer phone banked her yesterday.

You can look at how many calls they have made (20 million) and how many doors they have knocked on for GOTV in each individual precinct here:

https://win.betofortexas.com/?source=plantowin

1.6 million GOTV doors knocked, although that goes back to even a bit before the beginning of the early vote period.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »

You can look at how many calls they have made (20 million) and how many doors they have knocked on for GOTV in each individual precinct here:

1.6 million GOTV doors knocked, although that goes back to even a bit before the beginning of the early vote period.

I do have to say that O'Rourke's campaign does seem to have a strong and impressive organization. Maybe that's enough to deliver higher than expected numbers for him.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »

Just voted, the polling place wasn’t packed, but this was definitely the most people I’ve seen there.  I’ve never had even a five minute line before and there was one today.  Terrific weather in Franklin County btw.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »

I just went to the polls with my grandmother and we were at 42% of 2016 turnout. This is an Obama/Trump district.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2018, 01:55:43 PM »

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/06/indiana-election-2018-indystar-live-coverage-braun-donnelly/1749126002/

Johnson County, Indiana has had server issues today with voting. Voting seems to be back online now there, however, the election board is seeking a court order to extend the voting times till after 6 pm.

IN-9 is in this county.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »

I do have to say that O'Rourke's campaign does seem to have a strong and impressive organization. Maybe that's enough to deliver higher than expected numbers for him.

Even if he loses, his network will be an important legacy for future campaigns. That's what happened in GA-06 where McBath might beat Handel based on the network Ossoff left behind.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2018, 02:02:38 PM by RI »

An analysis of Cuyahoga County precinct-level turnout data so far:

Trump-majority precincts:
45.3% total turnout
21.2% ED turnout
24.1% Absentee turnout

Clinton-majority precincts:
33.2% total turnout
17.4% ED turnout
15.9% Absentee turnout

White Clinton-majority precincts:
38.5% total turnout
20.1% ED turnout
18.4% Absentee turnout

Majority-black precincts:
28.2% total turnout
14.7% ED turnout
13.5% Absentee turnout

>30% Hispanic precincts:
15.0% total turnout
9.3% ED turnout
5.8% Absentee turnout

Clinton-swing precincts:
43.3% total turnout
21.8% ED turnout
21.6% Absentee turnout

Trump-swing precincts:
31.6% total turnout
16.3% ED turnout
15.4% Absentee turnout

White Trump-swing precincts:
35.9% total turnout
18.3% ED turnout
17.7% Absentee turnout

So the highest turnout is in Trump-voting but Clinton-swinging white suburban precincts, unsurprisingly. Black and Hispanic precincts are showing comparatively low turnout. White-working class areas will likely be more represented in the ED vote than in the absentee, whereas the high turnout suburban area appear to be relatively more concentrated in absentee voting.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »

So the highest turnout is in Trump-voting but Clinton-swinging white suburban precincts, unsurprisingly. Black and Hispanic precincts are showing comparatively low turnout. White-working class areas will likely be more represented in the ED vote than in the absentee, whereas the high turnout suburban area appear to be relatively more concentrated in absentee voting.

Strengthens my fear/prediction that Rs are going to win OH Gov.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2018, 02:21:37 PM by hofoid »

Yeah, hard to spin that in the Dems' favour unless non-whites tend to vote later in the day.  
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »

https://nyti.ms/2Da3IT9

NYT page is up, though I can't get the correct link on my phone - the link takes you to the NY State page.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »

Not sure why suburban areas that swung towards Clinton and are made up of the folks most likely to be revolted by Trump/Republicans having high turnout is a bad thing. Also I'd like to see a comparison to 2014 before I would say that black or Latino turnout is bad.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »

Not sure why suburban areas that swung towards Clinton and are made up of the folks most likely to be revolted by Trump/Republicans having high turnout is a bad thing. Also I'd like to see a comparison to 2014 before I would say that black or Latino turnout is bad.
Because Hofoid is a troll
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2018, 02:18:35 PM »

hofoid is hofoid, but there has been a tendency for people to over-indulge partisan turnout numbers despite the fact that we know large numbers of Republican-leaning suburbanites have drifted since Trump descended from his perch years ago. I really don't see how you can get these margins among white college graduate women without winning over registered Republicans (or at least those who used to be registered Republicans).

Also, the independent vote is crucial. Bare GOP pluralities do not matter if they themselves depended on comfortably winning the indie vote, only to lose it this time around, which is typical in waves.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies