Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:18:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 203359 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: November 07, 2018, 12:09:49 AM »

This kinda reminds me of the 1970 midterm elections. The democrats gained seats in the house and the republicans won seats in the senate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1801 on: November 07, 2018, 12:09:54 AM »

The new chairs of the House committees must under no circumstances be go-along-to-get-along elderly minority hacks.

And Chuck Schumer should be fired by what's left of the D senate conference.

And pigs should learn to fly.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1802 on: November 07, 2018, 12:10:17 AM »

NYT just lowered it to D 229.   (Where have I heard that before.)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1803 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:26 AM »

AP calls NJ-02 for Van Drew (D).
Jersey Jimmy
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.13

« Reply #1804 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »

THE MADMAN MIGHT ACTUALLY DO IT

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1805 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:34 AM »

Cunningham in the lead in SC-01
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1806 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »

I'm signing off. I haven't said much in this thread overall, but I'm just exhausted. Even though this hasn't been the worst election ever, it is clear that this country is polarized beyond the point of repair and rationality. I can't really find it in me to enjoy the several surprise victories that the Democrats have had. I will say that perhaps the one most most worth celebrating, that made the happiest was seeing Laura Kelly win in Kansas. We'll never have to deal with Kobach again...hopefully.

But I just wanted an overall clear win. Sure, I expected some losses here and there, I always thought DeWine would win-so we aren't getting President or Vice President Sherrod Brown (has DeWine finally held every elected office in Ohio?). But my malaise is mostly due to the Senate results, some Gubernatorial results, and f***ing Florida in general of course. I tried to have reasonable expectations and simultaneously those expectations were too bullish with my Senate and Gubernatorial predictions and too bearish with my House predictions, at the same time. I thought the Democrats would lose Senate seats in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota but I can't believe that we're going to see an even bigger drubbing. I wouldn't be surprised if Heller and McSally win at this point. Yet I also can't believe that the Democrats won an Oklahoma House race. I'm feeling very conflicted and confused overall. I think I need to take a break from politics, in spite of how ubiquitous it is, for the sake of my mental health. I'm having minor 2016 flashbacks. This election is like learning that a beloved family member has cancer, but when that family member succumbs to it, you will inherit property in their will. That's a bit dark...but so is this country's political landscape. American voters didn't learn after 2010, 2014, and 2016, and most likely they aren't going to learn now either.

I am actually even more worried for the future as we're seeing that Trumpism is here to stay as those are the Republicans that have survived much like in 2016. Even if it won't be noticeable in every corner of this "great" country the GOP is destined to remain an ethno-nationalist, white grievance, fear-based party. Even with this new Democratic House there is a negative caveat. They will most likely become an effective scapegoat for the President and his all-powerful cabal. I am actually more secure in predicting that he gets re-elected than I was prior if this election is any indication, even with its silver linings.

I don't know...somehow things make even less sense than they did on November 8, 2016. I said back then that I would never trust a poll ever again, and clearly that self-imposed advice didn't stick. 

I am bracing myself for the inevitable Trump-GOP gloating over our inflated expectations, once more, even though they didn't have a particularly great night either.  It's going to be intolerable. They're allowed to have mixed results and spin them as a win, but we can't. Watching CNN tonight was like listening to a demotivational audiotape. They declared the blue wave dead because Amy McGrath lost. That was one hell of a way to confirm my suspicions about how the media is going to help set the narrative about tonight's results. So I guess what we're seeing at best has been a blue splash. Yay?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1807 on: November 07, 2018, 12:13:40 AM »

Kim Davis lost the Rowan County Clerk race. Cheesy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1808 on: November 07, 2018, 12:14:05 AM »

Kevin de Leon easily won Lassen County. That is hilarious!

Republicans are clearly voting for de Leon. He's winning the entire Central Valley. I don't think it will be enough, especially given the large undervote, but he is doing much better than I expected.

If de Leon beats Feinstein on the back of Republican votes, I think the top two system is going to be repealed.

It should be anyway.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1809 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:13 AM »

It's officially not a wave, and just a weird election.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1810 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »

Haha Kate Brown has won.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1811 on: November 07, 2018, 12:16:31 AM »

I'm signing off. I haven't said much in this thread overall, but I'm just exhausted. Even though this hasn't been the worst election ever, it is clear that this country is polarized beyond the point of repair and rationality. I can't really find it in me to enjoy the several surprise victories that the Democrats have had. I will say that perhaps the one most most worth celebrating, that made the happiest was seeing Laura Kelly win in Kansas. We'll never have to deal with Kobach again...hopefully.

But I just wanted an overall clear win. Sure, I expected some losses here and there, I always thought DeWine would win-so we aren't getting President or Vice President Sherrod Brown (has DeWine finally held every elected office in Ohio?). But my malaise is mostly due to the Senate results, some Gubernatorial results, and f***ing Florida in general of course. I tried to have reasonable expectations and simultaneously those expectations were too bullish with my Senate and Gubernatorial predictions and too bearish with my House predictions, at the same time. I thought the Democrats would lose Senate seats in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota but I can't believe that we're going to see an even bigger drubbing. I wouldn't be surprised if Heller and McSally win at this point. Yet I also can't believe that the Democrats won an Oklahoma House race. I'm feeling very conflicted and confused overall. I think I need to take a break from politics, in spite of how ubiquitous it is, for the sake of my mental health. I'm having minor 2016 flashbacks. This election is like learning that a beloved family member has cancer, but when that family member succumbs to it, you will inherit property in their will. That's a bit dark...but so is this country's political landscape. American voters didn't learn after 2010, 2014, and 2016, and most likely they aren't going to learn now either.

I am actually even more worried for the future as we're seeing that Trumpism is here to stay as those are the Republicans that have survived much like in 2016. Even if it won't be noticeable in every corner of this "great" country the GOP is destined to remain an ethno-nationalist, white grievance, fear-based party. Even with this new Democratic House there is a negative caveat. They will most likely become an effective scapegoat for the President and his all-powerful cabal. I am actually more secure in predicting that he gets re-elected than I was prior if this election is any indication, even with its silver linings.

I don't know...somehow things make even less sense than they did on November 8, 2016. I said back then that I would never trust a poll ever again, and clearly that self-imposed advice didn't stick. 

I am bracing myself for the inevitable Trump-GOP gloating over our inflated expectations, once more, even though they didn't have a particularly great night either.  It's going to be intolerable. They're allowed to have mixed results and spin them as a win, but we can't. Watching CNN tonight was like listening to a demotivational audiotape. They declared the blue wave dead because Amy McGrath lost. That was one hell of a way to confirm my suspicions about how the media is going to help set the narrative about tonight's results. So I guess what we're seeing at best has been a blue splash. Yay?
Yeah, basically. There's no spinning tonight as anything but a huge letdown.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1812 on: November 07, 2018, 12:16:46 AM »

one thing that should be looked at is African American turnout. 
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1813 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:24 AM »

one thing that should be looked at is African American turnout. 

This statement is sort of hanging out there without any context and seems odd.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1814 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:29 AM »

Feehan just pulled ahead in MN-1. Republicans may have to settle with just MN-8 and PA-14.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1815 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:42 AM »

Montana is getting close, but tester is still leading
Surprised it hasn't been called for him. You can't win statewide in MT as a Republican by barely carrying Yellowstone county by a mere 63 votes. Very sad, I was a big fan of him, but c'est la vie.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1816 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2018, 12:29:01 AM by Storr »

We have a 50.0-50.0 tie in GA-06 with Handel up 170 votes with 99% reporting according to CNN. Talk about close!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1817 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:01 AM »

It’s going to be super close either way. Not surprised by this result at all
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1818 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »

538 and NYT have the Dems winning SC-01
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1819 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »

McSally's lead is now down to 0.3%.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #1820 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:54 AM »

Looks like Gina Ortiz Jones actually kept TX-23 really close, but it won't quite be enough.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1821 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:20 AM »

CNN seems to have forgotten about this race.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #1822 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:36 AM »

this has been a weird election
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1823 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:48 AM »

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1824 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:51 AM »

CNN seems to have forgotten about this race.

R's already won the senate, so they don't care anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies