Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:01:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 203383 times)
SuperCow
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:25 AM »

I think this was the first speech I ever heard from Nancy Pelosi that didn’t make me want to take a power drill to the side of my head.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2026 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:43 AM »

Montana is going to be really close, but I think Rosendale might pull it out.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2027 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:46 AM »

It is clear that the Atlas community definitely overhyped Democratic chances in many of these races. Democrats themselves overhyped their chances. Yes, there are many warning signs for Republicans (such as in Texas), but the "blue wave" seems to be manifesting as a "blue ripple". 

I just figured the polls would be about right. Looks like they were in terms of overall House performance. But the Dems were over-favored by the polls in the red state senate races.

The polls were right, and the polls were wrong. The best way to think about polls in general is that they are a cloud that roughly measures results, but has systemic and unpredictable biases. That is basically what happened here - there was a lot right in the polls (they were clearly much better than random chance), and some things wrong too.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2028 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:12 AM »

Heitkamp losing by less than Donnelly is.... something. Donnelly got blanched.

I think the more accurate term is he got Bayhed.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2029 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:13 AM »

Joe Cunningham beat that lady that got into a wreck?! Woah, upset!!!!!!
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2030 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:11 AM »

Arizona is making me nervous, but Sinema has more favorable turf out.

Yep, all that is left is 45% out in Apache, 67% out in Pinal (56% for Trump in 2016), and 87% out in Maricopa (which is a lot of votes, by far the largest county in the state).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2031 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:19 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Democrats were never favored to win the senate, even you said this yourself. They won the house fairly easily even with the gerrymandering and look to be on pace to win 30-40 seats.

Honestly, Dems are never going to win with some of you no matter what they do.

They weren't favored for the Senate overall, but there's no reason Arizona should be this close, no reason Florida should've been lost, and no reason the margins in Indiana or Missouri should've been what they were, or the seat retentions in the upper Midwest. And we're looking at the increasing possibility of Tester losing as well.

And remember without the Senate the GOP owns the courts--unlikely as it was I would've taken it over the House which doesn't stop Trump's long term damage.

Arizona has always been close and FL is FL. Them losing in MO and IN by that margin when Trump won those states by double digits is no surprise.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how well Dems did today. You already had your narrative set. I mean you were saying how the Dems blew it in the house earlier in the thread.

That was mostly to get the meltdown out of the way, they did do better in the House than I expected (but worse than pretty much everyone else here expected, but that's on Atlas more than anything)

My point was that the people saying they're underperforming in the Senate, relative to the polls, are correct, and that it's a bigger deal because the Senate is more important because of the judiciary--laws in Congress can be overturned later, judicial appointments can't.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2032 on: November 07, 2018, 02:11:28 AM »

Stay classy bagel
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2033 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:05 AM »

I am satisfied that Joe M*nchin won, now Bagel has nothing to be so sure about.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2034 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:15 AM »

Thank the Gods that it looks like Walker is going to lose. So basically, other than OH and FL, Dems won all the Governorships that we wanted to win for redistricting. Not having Iowa is not nice for the people of Iowa, but is irrelevant to redistricting.

And in the case of OH and FL, there is at least (hopefully) some sort of redistricting reform to somewhat limit the damage that the GOP can do.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2035 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:48 AM »

I don't understand how CNN is calculating the percent in in the various Montana counties. There's no way Missoula County is 100% in with just 22,000 votes, e.g. It had 61,000 votes in 2016.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2036 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:23 AM »

Thank the Gods that it looks like Walker is going to lose. So basically, other than OH and FL, Dems won all the Governorships that we wanted to win for redistricting. Not having Iowa is not nice for the people of Iowa, but is irrelevant to redistricting.

And in the case of OH and FL, there is at least (hopefully) some sort of redistricting reform to somewhat limit the damage that the GOP can do.

It'll be tough in Florida since I believe they have that 60% threshold for any Constitutional Amendment, and I suspect anything of this magnitude will be deemed by the courts as requiring a constitutional amendment.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2037 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:42 AM »

CNN is horribly behind it looks like--nothing in eastern Nevada is showing up yet and somebody posted an update after Clark County came in from elsewhere.
Panda Express

« Reply #2038 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:42 AM »

Scott Walker losing is the scalp of the night for sure
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2039 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:43 AM »

Dems also appear to have swept the statewide offices in Nevada. The R incumbent Secretary of State and Controller both lost. Sisolak wins the gubernatorial election.

Overall gubernatorial numbers nationwide are D+7, with some chance the Ds could win Alaska as well, though early results have Dunleavy ahead.

One lesson, I think, that should be derived from these results is that the state by state fundamentals are very important. Fundamentals pointed to Republican victories in Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas, and Tennessee, and to a Democratic victory in Nevada. Another lesson is that polarization has now invaded the lower-ballot races, and will be the overriding constant across the board from this point forward, unless a realignment or massive demographic shift occurs.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2040 on: November 07, 2018, 02:13:57 AM »

Honestly going back to D-NV after seeing the NV results
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #2041 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:33 AM »

I'm biased since its my parents hometown. But why isn't anyone calling SC-01 that is a huge upset? But no CNN wants to find places where Democrats are losing.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2042 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:55 AM »

Stay classy bagel

She deserved to lose, glad she lived, but happy she lost, Sanford would have won lmao, the GOP primary people are so dumb sometimes, like Jenkins would have won LMAO.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2043 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:57 AM »

538 Gives Heller an over 95% chance of winning

Are they going solely based on the votes counted?

Pretty sure. Nate Cohn’s site only has him at 56%

I'd trust Cohn more, but he does seem a bit over cautious as Scott is only at 57%.

538 now has Rosen at 54% while the NY Times went to >95%.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2044 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Democrats were never favored to win the senate, even you said this yourself. They won the house fairly easily even with the gerrymandering and look to be on pace to win 30-40 seats.

Honestly, Dems are never going to win with some of you no matter what they do.

They weren't favored for the Senate overall, but there's no reason Arizona should be this close, no reason Florida should've been lost, and no reason the margins in Indiana or Missouri should've been what they were, or the seat retentions in the upper Midwest. And we're looking at the increasing possibility of Tester losing as well.

And remember without the Senate the GOP owns the courts--unlikely as it was I would've taken it over the House which doesn't stop Trump's long term damage.

Arizona is very slow at counting, you can't really say how close it is yet. McSally was a good candiate - Sinema was not fortunate to be running against Arpaio or Ward. It would have been nice for Sinema to be clearly winning, but for AZ, a state which has voted R for basically everything for basically forever, and where a significant part of the Dem base includes low turnout demographics such as Youngs and Hispanics, this is a great result especially in a midterm year, and suggests Dems can do well in AZ in the future (including competing there in 2020).
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2045 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:39 AM »

IA Gov could be very relevant to the Senate since Grassley is 85.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2046 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:19 AM »

Dems also appear to have swept the statewide offices in Nevada. The R incumbent Secretary of State and Controller both lost. Sisolak wins the gubernatorial election.

Overall gubernatorial numbers nationwide are D+7, with some chance the Ds could win Alaska as well, though early results have Dunleavy ahead.

One lesson, I think, that should be derived from these results is that the state by state fundamentals are very important. Fundamentals pointed to Republican victories in Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, Texas, and Tennessee, and to a Democratic victory in Nevada. Another lesson is that polarization has now invaded the lower-ballot races, and will be the overriding constant across the board from this point forward, unless a realignment or massive demographic shift occurs.

Spot on, but TX is also trending Democratic and O'Rourke nearly pulled it off.
gf20202
« Reply #2047 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:32 AM »

MSNBC just had Vaughn Hilliard on from AZ. He says a million votes will be counted over the next 24 hours and then another 300k will be counted Thursday. It's nuts we won't know until Thursday.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2048 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:38 AM »

Can McBath ask for a recount?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2049 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:51 AM »

Tester down by 1,600 votes with 72% in according to CNN. It's tightening late just like with Bullock in 2016...
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies