Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:10:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1 (search mode)
Thread note

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 202924 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« on: November 06, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »

Today's gonna be good, fam.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »

Manchin losing by 3 according to CNN exit poll

Uh oh..... whose the person from Texas that  swore up and down Manchin was done

Take early exit polls with a massive truck ton of salt.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:50:42 PM »

McAdams up by 1,020 after the latest Utah County dump. Another Salt Lake dump is coming at 5pm ET. Not sure how many votes are left.

The fair districts amendment has fallen behind Sad

Hopefully Salt Lake pushes that back up and over.

Stephen Wolf thinks it will narrowly fail when all is said and done.

I don't think it really matters in the end. It was only an initiated statute and the legislature could have repealed it, and given that Congressional repercussions of not doing so, it's easy to see them gutting it or repealing entirely. But maybe it's worth trying again in 2020.

Wouldn't it just be easier to give the Democrats a Salt Lake City anchored district and be done with it? Salt Lake City isn't even in the 4th district and it looks like McAdams is going to win anyway. The gerrymander failed, and they'll have to add a 5th seat in the next round of redistricting.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »

McAdams up by 1,020 after the latest Utah County dump. Another Salt Lake dump is coming at 5pm ET. Not sure how many votes are left.

The fair districts amendment has fallen behind Sad

Hopefully Salt Lake pushes that back up and over.

Stephen Wolf thinks it will narrowly fail when all is said and done.

I don't think it really matters in the end. It was only an initiated statute and the legislature could have repealed it, and given that Congressional repercussions of not doing so, it's easy to see them gutting it or repealing entirely. But maybe it's worth trying again in 2020.

Wouldn't it just be easier to give the Democrats a Salt Lake City anchored district and be done with it? Salt Lake City isn't even in the 4th district and it looks like McAdams is going to win anyway. The gerrymander failed, and they'll have to add a 5th seat in the next round of redistricting.

No,  Colorado and probably Arizona are adding seats, not Utah.

I really doubt the Utah GOP would give up the seat willingly.  

I was confused then, I thought Utah was on track to gain another seat.

I guess they won't do so willingly and it shouldn't be expected, but willingly is they key word here. They might not have a choice by the time redistricting comes around again for the 2030s. The Democrat is winning a seat that doesn't even include Salt Lake City proper.

I believe Salt Lake County is trending Democratic at a faster rate than what recent elections indicate. Between Romney running in 2012, the third vote split with McMullin in 2016, and Romney running for the Senate seat this year, a deep blue tint has been difficult to detect. The results in the 4th point to a much greater potential underlying trend that could lead to the the county eventually becoming a Democratic vote sink.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies