Oman to recognize Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:21:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Oman to recognize Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oman to recognize Israel  (Read 1686 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2018, 07:07:08 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-27/it-s-time-to-treat-israel-like-other-states-oman-says

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »

Watch as Oman gets shunned by pretty much everyone else in the Middle East/North Africa.

I think Jordan and Egypt (especially Jordan) are soon going to terminate their peace treaties with Israel in full, so it's odd to Oman attempting to negotiate one.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »

I think Jordan and Egypt (especially Jordan) are soon going to terminate their peace treaties with Israel in full, so it's odd to Oman attempting to negotiate one.
Not happening.

And great news. Saudi will hopefully follow soon.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »

Most Middle Eastern governments don't have a problem with Israel, only their citizens do. It seems the opposite with Iran. And yes I realize Iran isn't technically in the ME.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 07:31:36 PM »

Watch as Oman gets shunned by pretty much everyone else in the Middle East/North Africa.

That just isn’t true, the time after the Iran Deal Israel and its Sunni neighbors have had their first diplomatic missions. Even MBS in Saudi Arabia told the Palestinians to accept any peace plan as they were soon gonna terminate support. All of this is in the backdrop of an aggressive response by Iran. I honestly think that if Donald Trump wasn’t elected, this would have happened all the sooner.

Either way this feeds into the moniker or the Switzerland of the region.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »

Most Middle Eastern governments don't have a problem with Israel, only their citizens do. It seems the opposite with Iran. And yes I realize Iran isn't technically in the ME.

Iran is included in any definition of the Middle East.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »

My mistake. I was thinking Arab vs Persian, which I've been corrected on several times.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »

My mistake. I was thinking Arab vs Persian, which I've been corrected on several times.
Iran has had more relevant cross-cultural interactions, either confrontational or cultural, from it’s western periphery. From more utilization of Levantine technology to Abrahamic missionaries, it is more in tune with the Levant or Arabia.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »

I think Jordan and Egypt (especially Jordan) are soon going to terminate their peace treaties with Israel in full
why do you think this?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 09:04:30 PM »

I think Jordan and Egypt (especially Jordan) are soon going to terminate their peace treaties with Israel in full
why do you think this?

Jordan already has partially terminated their treaty, so it wouldn't be hard to go the full distance.

Plus it's not the treaties are especially popular among the masses in Jordan or Egypt, so if King Hussein or Sisi want to stay in power, they would terminate the treaties.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »

why do you think this?

Jordan already has partially terminated their treaty, so it wouldn't be hard to go the full distance.

Plus it's not the treaties are especially popular among the masses in Jordan or Egypt, so if King Hussein or Sisi want to stay in power, they would terminate the treaties.
Recently an Israeli ambassador went to Jordan for better ties and Sisi has gotten internal talk about selling oil to Israel, not to mention closing the Gaza crossing. Your statement is completely false to recent events since the Iran Deal.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »

I know that I've been browsing the midterm election boards a little too much recently because I read Oman as Orman.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »

I know that I've been browsing the midterm election boards a little too much recently because I read Oman as Orman.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 11:40:47 PM »

why do you think this?

Technically, all Jordan did was decline to extend a pair of 25-year leases of Jordanian territory occupied by Israel since the 1949 armistice. They're clearly on the Jordanian side of the 1922 border between Transjordan and Palestine. If the Jordanians don't reclaim them now they probably never would be able to do that.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 12:24:59 AM »

why do you think this?

There are many things wrong with this statement.

For starters, King Hussein died like 20 years ago.

Also, General Sisi has arguably collaborated more closely with Israel than any Arab leader ever has.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 01:24:52 AM »

Frankly, if any Arab state has any room to agree to work with Israel it's Oman, since Israel has less to do with Oman than any other Arab country, plus Oman is very much on its own in practicing its own homegrown brand of Islam (yes, Ibadis have roots as deep as either Sunnis or Shia do, but Ibadi Islam has basically no support outside of Oman) and as a result can afford to avoid taking too close sides in the Saudi vs Iran dick-measuring contest.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 03:40:18 AM »

Oman and Israeli already had 'open relationship' with Rabin and Netanyahu visiting in the 90's.
I don't think we'll see an embassy just yet in Tel Aviv though

but the strategic importance is the Iran is nearby in Syria, and Israel is developing strong relationships with Iranian neighbors in bot Azerbaijan and Oman....do the math why
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »

Oman and Israeli already had 'open relationship' with Rabin and Netanyahu visiting in the 90's.

but the strategic importance is the Iran is nearby in Syria, and Israel is developing strong relationships with Iranian neighbors in bot Azerbaijan and Oman....do the math why

If you think either Baku or Muscat will take sides in a fight between Bushehr and Dimona, you're dreaming.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

If you think either Baku or Muscat will take sides in a fight between Bushehr and Dimona, you're dreaming.
did not imply to that. But who needs them to take a side anyhow.

There are talks for a while about Israeli forces operating from Azerbaijan or SF using it as a penetration point to Iran
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »

did not imply to that. But who needs them to take a side anyhow.

There are talks for a while about Israeli forces operating from Azerbaijan or SF using it as a penetration point to Iran

In what universe does allowing someone's military use your own territory as a base of operations against a third country not constitute taking sides?
Brasil acima de tudo

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »

The leftist fraud called "Palestine" won't exist in 10 years.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 11:19:49 AM »

The leftist fraud called "Palestine" won't exist in 10 years.

Roll Eyes

Goods news anyways.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »

I recall that a decade or so ago, Israel had low-level trade ties with a couple of Gulf states, Oman and Qatar.  Qatar probably won't happen now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies