FT 9-05: Fremont Assault Weapons Ban Act (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:06:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 9-05: Fremont Assault Weapons Ban Act (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: FT 9-05: Fremont Assault Weapons Ban Act (Final Vote)  (Read 4173 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »

Have you got any better ideas?
If not go and heckle someone else.

The better idea is not to pass stupid laws banning things you clearly know nothing about.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »

Have you got any better ideas?
If not go and heckle someone else.

The better idea is not to pass stupid laws banning things you clearly know nothing about.

I'll take that as a no.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2018, 09:52:30 AM by Devout Centrist »

Sustained rate of fire is too nebulous a measure, as its just a ballpark estimate of what a typical trained soldier can fire. When I googled it, some AR15 manuals boast 45 RPM but Wiki said 12-15 RPM is more accurate. Are you going to rely on manuals? Because they will deliberately underreport. Are you going to randomly pick a National Guardsman and let him set the sustained RPM pace? How "scientific".

With a semiautomatic rifle the RPM should be relatively uniform. If you can sustain a rate of fire of 30 trigger pulls/reaiming with an AR15, you can def sustain that rate of fire with a.22 that has almost no recoil. Or .22s are guns for babies. This would ban practically any semiautomatic firearm including .22 hunting rifles as well as any semiautomatic handgun.
Yes, sustained rate of fire is relatively nebulous, but it's the more lenient of the two measures. Cyclic is perhaps too onerous. Of course, this is the initial draft and I will propose more precise language in the revision. I wouldn't be opposed to using terms within the manual.

The second point about banning practically any semiautomatic firearm, however, would not hold because of the other test included in part 1. Gas operated firearms will be perfectly fine; only direct impingement and open bolt firearms would be targeted.

So to clarify it is your position that my semiautomatic AK47 clone and my custom AR15 build, both of which contain gas pistons, will still be legal the next time I spend a week target shooting in Fremont?
I will reiterate that the goal of this legislation is to create regulations for manufacturers and not for hobbyists.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »

Sustained rate of fire is too nebulous a measure, as its just a ballpark estimate of what a typical trained soldier can fire. When I googled it, some AR15 manuals boast 45 RPM but Wiki said 12-15 RPM is more accurate. Are you going to rely on manuals? Because they will deliberately underreport. Are you going to randomly pick a National Guardsman and let him set the sustained RPM pace? How "scientific".

With a semiautomatic rifle the RPM should be relatively uniform. If you can sustain a rate of fire of 30 trigger pulls/reaiming with an AR15, you can def sustain that rate of fire with a.22 that has almost no recoil. Or .22s are guns for babies. This would ban practically any semiautomatic firearm including .22 hunting rifles as well as any semiautomatic handgun.
Yes, sustained rate of fire is relatively nebulous, but it's the more lenient of the two measures. Cyclic is perhaps too onerous. Of course, this is the initial draft and I will propose more precise language in the revision. I wouldn't be opposed to using terms within the manual.

The second point about banning practically any semiautomatic firearm, however, would not hold because of the other test included in part 1. Gas operated firearms will be perfectly fine; only direct impingement and open bolt firearms would be targeted.

So to clarify it is your position that my semiautomatic AK47 clone and my custom AR15 build, both of which contain gas pistons, will still be legal the next time I spend a week target shooting in Fremont?
I will reiterate that the goal of this legislation is to create regulations for manufacturers and not for hobbyists.

You should offer another amendment then to remove possession and use from what is being banned then.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2018, 06:27:49 PM by Devout Centrist »

You should offer another amendment then to remove possession and use from what is being banned then.
Yes, that's a fair point, I'll offer up an amendment shortly.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »

I motion for section 3-1's wording be amended to 'manufacture and sale'.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »

I motion for section 3-1's wording be amended to 'manufacture and sale'.
Hold on.
Tomorrow that goes as I introduce the gun buyback and penalties.
I'm just waiting for the current amendment to be adopted without objections.
JoeyOCanada
Canada

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 11:14:31 PM »

Thanks. As an FYI that absolves most of my concerns  and while I still dont support the measure I am significantly less hostile now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »

Thanks. As an FYI that absolves most of my concerns  and while I still dont support the measure I am significantly less hostile now.
Very well. Thank you for your contribution, and I hope my colleagues will similarly put forward their own suggestions.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »

My amendment to add Buyback and Penalties will hopefully be coming today.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »

Maybe not, though it is coming.
Also, can I just reaffirm that we cannot hold a final vote yes, as the bill still needs to be amended. And I will amend this bill soon, when I get some time off from all the assessments.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »

Maybe not, though it is coming.
Also, can I just reaffirm that we cannot hold a final vote yes, as the bill still needs to be amended. And I will amend this bill soon, when I get some time off from all the assessments.
This is coming, soon. Eventually.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2018, 04:36:53 AM »

Change of plans due to a rescheduling of an exam.
The amendment on buybacks and penalties is probably coming on Saturday (Friday your time). Sorry all about the continued delay, but school unfortunately comes first. If I'm lucky I might get it in earlier, but that's unlikely.
Also, to the Speaker, I must insist that a vote not be held until this amendment is adopted.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2018, 08:21:35 AM »

Honestly ASV, just let this bad bill get killed so the legislature can move onto things that are actually important and actually help people. Next in the queue is legislation that helps those affected by CA wildfires, but that can't be brought to the floor because you're caught up in selfish pet projects like this.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2018, 09:55:49 AM »

Honestly ASV, just let this bad bill get killed so the legislature can move onto things that are actually important and actually help people. Next in the queue is legislation that helps those affected by CA wildfires, but that can't be brought to the floor because you're caught up in selfish pet projects like this.

Selfish AND constitutionally suspect ...
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »

Change of plans due to a rescheduling of an exam.
The amendment on buybacks and penalties is probably coming on Saturday (Friday your time). Sorry all about the continued delay, but school unfortunately comes first. If I'm lucky I might get it in earlier, but that's unlikely.
Also, to the Speaker, I must insist that a vote not be held until this amendment is adopted.
You can delegate that responsibility if you like. I would be able to write the proposed amendment.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2018, 07:23:30 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2018, 09:28:31 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Section 3: Definitions

1. The following test shall be applied to determine whether or not a weapon is defined as an Assault Weapon

Section 4: Buyback

1. The government of Fremont shalt henceforth establish a Fremont Assault Weapon Buyback scheme.
2. This scheme shall be .
3. The government of Fremont shalt henceforth enumerate an amount of $1 Billion dollars to the aforementioned buyback program.

Section 5: Penalties

1. The manufacture and sale of Assault Weapons within the Commonwealth of Fremont is hereby illegal.
2. The penalty applied to manufacturers and sellers for infringing this law shall be fixed at 150% of profits made from manufacture and or sale.
3. The possession and use of Assault Weapons within the Commonwealth of Fremont is hereby a crime, if the weapon is used in illegal or illicit activities.
4. A person may only be punished for possession of an Assault Weapon if said person has committed a crime involving firearms.
5. In such cases, the government is compelled to seize all firearms possessed by the person in question, regardless of whether they qualify as assault weapons.

Section 7: Implementation

1. This act shall be implemented immediately.
[/quote]
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »

Any problems with this amendment?
Have I missed anything?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »

This is federally preempted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »

Okay then, I'll strike that.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2018, 02:01:43 AM »

Is there any other problems with my amendment?
Is there anything else we want to do?
If not, then we'll have a final vote soon.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »

24 hours without objections, the amendment is adopted.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

One last amendment.

Section 3: Definitions

1. The following test shall be applied to determine whether or not a weapon is defined as an Assault Weapon

Section 4: Buyback

1. The government of Fremont shalt henceforth establish a Fremont Assault Weapon Buyback scheme.
2. This scheme shall be .
3. The government of Fremont shalt henceforth enumerate an amount of $1 Billion dollars to the aforementioned buyback program.

Section 5: Penalties

1. The manufacture and sale of Assault Weapons within the Commonwealth of Fremont is hereby illegal.
2. The penalty applied to manufacturers and sellers for infringing this law shall be fixed at 150% of profits made from manufacture and or sale.
3. The possession and use of Assault Weapons within the Commonwealth of Fremont is hereby a crime, if the weapon is used in illegal or illicit activities.
4. A person may only be punished for possession of an Assault Weapon if said person has committed a crime involving firearms.
5. In such cases, the government is compelled to seize all firearms possessed by the person in question, regardless of whether they qualify as assault weapons.

Section 7: Implementation

1. This act shall be implemented immediately.
[/quote][/quote]
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »

What does section 4.2 mean? I assume it's a typo of some sort?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies