Sanders: voters uncomfortable with voting for AAs aren’t necessarily racist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:26:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Sanders: voters uncomfortable with voting for AAs aren’t necessarily racist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sanders: voters uncomfortable with voting for AAs aren’t necessarily racist  (Read 1298 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:04:45 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-551024902/daily-beast-interview [At the 1:10 mark]
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:06:43 AM »

I'm assuming this is Bernie and not S*rah
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »

I'm assuming this is Bernie and not S*rah

Oops, yeah. It’s Bernie lol
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:37:42 AM »

Its not racist at all, credentials should be of value and not race.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:03:51 AM »

Reason #535 why he will get clobbered in the Southern primaries again.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »

Initially thought this was a Sarah Sanders quote. Oh boy.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »

He's not wrong.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »

Point is, you got to vote for the candidate who's best fit to be in office, who has the best qualities, and with who you align more on the issues, and race / gender shouldn't matter. It shouldn't be a reason why you don't vote for them, but it shouldn't be a reason why you vote for them either. I'm not going to vote for a black dude, because he's black. I'm not going to consider not voting for a black, because he's black. I want a normal society, in which people are picked over their qualities and not ignored or picked (both anti-discrimination as affirmative action are absolutely horrible) thanks to their race or gender.

In 2008 Obama was clearly the strongest candidate IMO in retroperspective.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »

I voted for Bernie in 2016, but I think it's best if he stayed out. He did a lot of good advancing progressive ideas into the mainstream, but I think 2020 is a whole different ballgame.
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 10:44:06 AM »

Sanders would be a horrible choice for prez; he should stick to the senate.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure that is the literal definition of racism.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »

So if I told you I will vote for Trump over Bernie in 2020 because I’m too uncomfortable voting for the Jew I wouldn’t be an antisemite?

Why is it any different?
JG

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »

Thank God, we have Bernie, the white senator from the whitest state in the US, telling us what racism is and what it is not.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »

Horseshoe theory is real.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »

Thank God, we have Bernie, the white senator from the whitest state in the US, telling us what racism is and what it is not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 06:42:52 PM »

That quote was obviously poorly worded. In this quote he clearly says that racism is a problem.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 07:01:14 PM »

Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 07:34:25 PM »

Bernie, like a lot of the left, confuses violent racism with racist prejudice.

A better way to phrase what I think he meant -- "you know, there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily Klan members who still felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American."

The American left has a particularly nasty problem with downplaying the importance of personal conviction in the conversation about racism. To many of these people, "being a racist" is essentially a point system -- one point for every time you've used the n-word, five points for every time you've voted against a black candidate because you're uncomfortable with their race, fifty points for every lynching you've participated in, and if you come in under a certain threshold, you're good.

That is absolutely not the way racism works. Racism is a set of values inspired by a worldview based on the assumption that individuals are different from one another in part due to inherent, non-biological (that is, stuff like earlobe length and eyelash curvature, things that don't really matter) qualities inborn via race. Refusing to vote for someone on the grounds that they're black is racism, plain and simple.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »

Please don't run...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »

A better way to phrase what I think he meant -- "you know, there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily Klan members who still felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American."

The American left has a particularly nasty problem with downplaying the importance of personal conviction in the conversation about racism. To many of these people, "being a racist" is essentially a point system -- one point for every time you've used the n-word, five points for every time you've voted against a black candidate because you're uncomfortable with their race, fifty points for every lynching you've participated in, and if you come in under a certain threshold, you're good.

That is absolutely not the way racism works. Racism is a set of values inspired by a worldview based on the assumption that individuals are different from one another in part due to inherent, non-biological (that is, stuff like earlobe length and eyelash curvature, things that don't really matter) qualities inborn via race. Refusing to vote for someone on the grounds that they're black is racism, plain and simple.

He said that racism played a part in these elections. Are you going to claim that he didn't think the segregation he fought against in Chicago was racism?
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 08:44:26 PM »

He said that racism played a part in these elections. Are you going to claim that he didn't think the segregation he fought against in Chicago was racism?

Are you saying segregation is not "violent racism?"
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »

No, that's racist.  My assumption is that you aren't voting for an African-American because you assume their race makes them unqualified for the job.  That's racist right there.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 08:59:43 PM »

Sanders does have an unfortunate history of tone-deafness on racial issues, and often an inability to talk about racism in any other context than an economic one.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »

Are you saying segregation is not "violent racism?"

Well, it depends on whether you count this as violence.

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 11:46:17 PM »

Reason #535 why he will get clobbered in the Southern primaries again.

Maybe he'll lose MS by 80 this time.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies