WV-3: Ojeda Suceeded
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-3: Ojeda Suceeded
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WV-3: Ojeda Suceeded  (Read 2189 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »

Even Ojeda is throwing mad shade at his own constituents now. Of course he has no business saying this given his 2016 Presidential vote.

Ojeda = Massive FF!

He's sounding like me. Smiley
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »

Manchin and Ojeda becoming fiercely anti-Trump #resistance members after the election is one of my favorite parts of the aftermath.

Hopefully Manchin votes like Bernie Sanders for the next 6 years because he knows it's his last term. Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »

Even Ojeda is throwing mad shade at his own constituents now. Of course he has no business saying this given his 2016 Presidential vote.

So how did Mr. Ojeda get convinced to fight for the interests of the filthy rich when he supported Trump in 2016?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »

So how did Mr. Ojeda get convinced to fight for the interests of the filthy rich when he supported Trump in 2016?

Atlas acts like most rural Trump voters were like Ojeda, who voted for him because he was #populist Purple heart and "anti-elitist" and pretended to be "for the working class." When the reality is that the vast majority of them, unlike Ojeda, were just generic Racist Hicks. Which is why they still vehemently support him despite the fact that he was a rubber stamp for Paul Ryan's Randian fantasies.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »

Has President Trump’s policies not been in favor of the filthy rich? Ojeda as an experienced politician had to have understood that Trump would have to kowtow to the Republican Congress on legislative matters (and he largely has).

The other explanation is that Ojeda voted for Trump to further his own political aspirations in ruby red West Virginia. That backfired badly. Even ole’ Joe Manchin who tepidly supported Hillary still won his race by comparison.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »

Hell even Hillary Clinton staffer Talley Sergent outperformed Ojeda.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »

Manchin and Ojeda becoming fiercely anti-Trump #resistance members after the election is one of my favorite parts of the aftermath.

Hopefully Manchin votes like Bernie Sanders for the next 6 years because he knows it's his last term. Smiley

I thought you hated populism lol, but your wrong.

Manchin wont become a Populist , he will stay as a Blue Dog
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »

Ojeda = Massive FF!

He's sounding like me. Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »

I just don't understand how Ojeda can claim to be the champion of the working class over the "filthy rich" when he supported Trump.

(I mean, I guess I can understand how he can -claim- this, it just strike me as totally inauthentic.)
Aurelio21
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2018, 06:05:57 PM by Aurelio21 »

I do think that Mr Ojeda succeeded - in showing that the Democratic Party cannot win back at least 2/3rds of the #MAGA cult followers.

Mr Ojeda fulfiiled everything what should convince a resounding majority back for the Democratic coalition:
- He showed the neccessary empathy without the possibility of being labeled weak(anger about being left behind, He voted for Trump as at least 75 % of his constituents).
- He fought with success for the best interest of his consituents : teacher pay rise, strike when
coal mine closed while his opponent did nothing but a tweet and Mr Trump ignored this
- 2 weeks before election, it was revealed that the measures taken by the Trump administration and Mr Perry were only a fassade at best. The secretary of energy had made a memo at the beginning of the year basically saying that subsidizing coal won't be done as it is ineffective,
 and thus breaking another campaign promise of Mr Trump.
-Mrs Jenkins, (his oppenent) did not even bother having a debate with him or even campaigning, except for the MAGA-rallies, Tweets of the cult leader Mr Trump and smearing Mr Ojeda with his PTSD caused by the service for his counrty. Swift boating always works for the GOP. The last part should have caused sypmpathy votes, think of the "godless adds" of Mrs Dole against Mrs Hagan.

Honestly, the Dems are perceived as poisonous to them (anti-white hate group might be an hyperbole yet is somehow a fitting desription) that they vote against their interest. Mr Ojeda has proven an independece. Mrs Pelosi is very good at integrating different opnions and political stances. He would have been assigned to a powerful committee and running around Mr Trump with his broken promises. No, they vote appr. 3 to 2 for a do-Nothing-candidate who disqualified herself.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »

I just don't understand how Ojeda can claim to be the champion of the working class over the "filthy rich" when he supported Trump.

(I mean, I guess I can understand how he can -claim- this, it just strike me as totally inauthentic.)

Ojeda said that he was turned off more by Hillary than by Trump back in 2016, but now he thinks Trump has not lived up to his expectations.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »

Now he’s running for President.

He has succeeded again! Smiley
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 11:02:51 PM »

I was confused by the misspelling in the thread title, I though maybe Ojeda had seceded from the 3rd district.   
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2018, 12:09:49 AM »

Atlas acts like most rural Trump voters were like Ojeda, who voted for him because he was #populist Purple heart and "anti-elitist" and pretended to be "for the working class." When the reality is that the vast majority of them, unlike Ojeda, were just generic Racist Hicks. Which is why they still vehemently support him despite the fact that he was a rubber stamp for Paul Ryan's Randian fantasies.

Although the big shift in NEPA, Michigan, and Wisconsin definitely suggesst there isn't exactly an insignificant chunk that did think just like that.

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:59 AM »

Although the big shift in NEPA, Michigan, and Wisconsin definitely suggesst there isn't exactly an insignificant chunk that did think just like that.

They voted for Democratic candidates who were strongly tailored to their districts in a strong midterm year for Democrats.

We’ll have to wait and see if that translates to any significant shift to a national Democratic candidate who will have to appeal to a national electorate and deal with intense media and right wing scrutiny.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 03:11:30 AM »

wut?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 03:14:25 AM »

He’s already filed to run and has released an ad for President today. And he’s gonna announce officially tomorrow.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »

They voted for Democratic candidates who were strongly tailored to their districts in a strong midterm year for Democrats.

We’ll have to wait and see if that translates to any significant shift to a national Democratic candidate who will have to appeal to a national electorate and deal with intense media and right wing scrutiny.

Funny, I don't recall Baldwin, Evers, Casey, Wolf, or Whitmer being relegated to any districts at all.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 04:07:39 AM »

Funny, I don't recall Baldwin, Evers, Casey, Wolf, or Whitmer being relegated to any districts at all.

The rural areas of these states trended much more republican in all of these states (except bits of Pennsylvania). The biggest gains for Democrats in these states came from thinning suburban margins and/or juicing college student/minority turnout. Icespear is talking about rural trump voters. They trended republican.

It’s time to abandon the rural boner atlas has and to move on from the people in the states that hate democrats or are in the process of giving up on democrats over time. Focus on the people within these same states that will actually vote for democrats (hint: these people do exist they’re just not in rural areas 90% of the time). Stop getting stuck in the past.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies