WV-3: Ojeda Suceeded
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:43:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-3: Ojeda Suceeded
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WV-3: Ojeda Suceeded  (Read 2176 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2018, 06:45:56 AM »

Largest swing out of any district from the 2016 election and it's not like he was a moderate or anything the only conservative position of him was coal. Now imagine the success the Democrats could have if they could have Ojeda like candidates winning in WWC districts and ORourke candidates winning the suburbs. The Democrats have a chance at attaining FDR majorities if they can combine these groups, and I feel like it is possible when the republican Thatcherite plan eventually comes to bite them in the ar*se.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »

Yeah except Democrats are not gonna be winning WV type areas anymore.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »

Democrats need more candidates like him, but in more winnable districts that vote Trump +5 instead of Trump +50.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

Give up on rural hicks. Even Ojeda did its over for you dems.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »

Weren't quite a few Atlas Dems obsessed with him and thought he actually stood a chance? He lost by 13%; he didn't succeed, he under-performed expectations. I called this back in September.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »

Weren't quite a few Atlas Dems obsessed with him and thought he actually stood a chance? He lost by 13%, he didn't succeed, he under-performed expectations.

I love sergent Hillary's campaign director did better.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »

Ojeda did fine, but as a non-incumbent in a very Trumpy area that's only becoming more friendly to Republicans, I don't think he has a chance.
DataGuy
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »

Has anyone noticed that some Democrat named Talley Sergent in WV-2 actually did better than Ojeda?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »

Has anyone noticed that some Democrat named Talley Sergent in WV-2 actually did better than Ojeda?
Alex Mooney is a carpetbagger, and a terrible candidate. He always underperforms. I bet when WV drops down to 2 seats next decade, he'll be the "odd man out" and lose renomination. Geographically, his district will obviously be the one split.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »

Alex Mooney is a carpetbagger, and a terrible candidate. He always underperforms. I bet when WV drops down to 2 seats next decade, he'll be the "odd man out" and lose renomination. Geographically, his district will obviously be the one split.

Didn't he only win by 2 points in 2014 of all years even when Rahall got BTFO.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »

Yes he did.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »

Yes he did.

I think Ojeda might have actually won in the 2nd district if he came from it. Its much more urban and Mooney is a horrible candidate. Like the fact you can't even destroy hillary clinton's campaign manager in WV is sad.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

What would be the Republican equivalent to this type of thread? Arguing that because David Valadao won by a solid margin last night in a Hillary+15 district that the GOP should start targeting young Hispanic registered Democrats across America now?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 03:02:51 PM »

Wasn't even the closest congressional election in WV
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »

Weren't quite a few Atlas Dems obsessed with him and thought he actually stood a chance? He lost by 13%; he didn't succeed, he under-performed expectations. I called this back in September.

In fairness, this was also back when Manchin was supposed to hold by quite a margin. Ojeda was always behind Manchin significantly, and they were linked. And given that Manchin barely held on.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »

Just thinking outside the box with no basis whatsoever, but is it possible to stay could be split East West rather than north south? Though even I don't believe that.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »

Just thinking outside the box with no basis whatsoever, but is it possible to stay could be split East West rather than north south? Though even I don't believe that.

Pubs will split the state east-west, it prevents Populists like Odeja from mounting a comeback by cracking the southern WV03.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »

Pubs will split the state east-west, it prevents Populists like Odeja from mounting a comeback by cracking the southern WV03.
In the 2020's WV will so far gone Ojeda himself could make the map and still lose.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »

Democrats need more candidates like him, but in more winnable districts that vote Trump +5 instead of Trump +50.

This. Dems need a big tent, 50-state strategy.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 04:57:59 PM »

No  dems win by using a burb stomping strategy in the South and slowly exiting the republican rust belt states while holding WI MI and PA through more burb stomping. Ohio is the New Missouri
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »

No  dems win by using a burb stomping strategy in the South and slowly exiting the republican rust belt states while holding WI MI and PA through more burb stomping. Ohio is the New Missouri

TIL trying to win in fewer places is a better strategy for a party that currently has essentially unlimited money than trying to win in more places
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »

Yeah except Democrats are not gonna be winning WV type areas anymore.

Not WV, but let's say it was a Trump 5+ or 10+ district with a Ojeda like candidate and it could be a dem pickup.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »

Ojeda basically went to Obama 08 levels in WV-3. Ojeda basically got those vote of those in WV-03 that were willing to vote for the foreign black guy before the coal industry collapsed and coal politics became king.

WV-3 in 2008

56% McCain
42% Obama

WV in 2018

56% McCain
44% Ojeda

You can take this as an accomplishment (and if this was replicated in races across the country, Democrats would have a huge majority)

Or you can take it to note is that country boy Ojeda actually did as bad as  Muslim Kenyan Obama in the rural coal heartlands.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »

Ojeda succeeded in that he won a larger share of votes for his party than two years ago, and he outperformed this district's partisan lean, both by double digits.

I also believe that he would probably be a good candidate to run in future elections in WV (for example, the 2020 or 2024 Senate elections). For a state like this one, I will view him as a success as long as he outperforms the partisan lean of his district/state by a substantial margin, even if he does not win outright.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »

Even Ojeda is throwing mad shade at his own constituents now. Of course he has no business saying this given his 2016 Presidential vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies