This former Supreme Court Law Clerk has two separate Doctorate Degrees in Law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  This former Supreme Court Law Clerk has two separate Doctorate Degrees in Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This former Supreme Court Law Clerk has two separate Doctorate Degrees in Law  (Read 702 times)
TheBeardedOne
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »

He is currently an Assistant Secretary of the Treasury

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Tarbert

”In 1998 he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in accounting and international business in 1998 from Mount St. Mary's University. He then attended University of Pennsylvania Law School, receiving a Juris Doctor in 2001 and a Doctor of Juridical Science in 2002. Tarbert later obtained a Master of Studies and a Doctor of Philosophy in comparative law from Oxford University in 2005, where he was a Thouron Scholar.”
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »

Uh, good for him.

Was he really preceded in his position by someone named Marisa Lago? That's hilarious if true.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »

To be honest, the SJD/JSD (the real legal doctoral degree) is purely a sign of someone who wasn't good enough at writing/publishing to get into legal academia without one, so it's actually more embarrassing than impressive. Most legal academics don't have one (in contrast to a PhD in other fields) because it is largely a waste of time.

JDs are not really doctoral degrees to begin with, as any lawyer with any degree of humility will admit. (I have one.)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

A JD/PhD is becoming fairly common for legal academics. And, as another poster said, there's nothing particularly impressive about an SJD.
TheBeardedOne
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2018, 08:44:28 PM by TheBeardedOne »

To be honest, the SJD/JSD (the real legal doctoral degree) is purely a sign of someone who wasn't good enough at writing/publishing to get into legal academia without one, so it's actually more embarrassing than impressive. Most legal academics don't have one (in contrast to a PhD in other fields) because it is largely a waste of time.

JDs are not really doctoral degrees to begin with, as any lawyer with any degree of humility will admit. (I have one.)

A JD/PhD is becoming fairly common for legal academics. And, as another poster said, there's nothing particularly impressive about an SJD.

What are the most common PhD’s for Lawyers if they don’t pursue an SJD? Political Science? Philosophy? I know Oxford has a DPhil in Law. Yale has a PhD in Law as well as a SJD. Wouldn’t those two be the same?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »

What are the most common PhD’s for Lawyers if they don’t pursue an SJD? Political Science? Philosophy? I know Oxford has a DPhil in Law. Yale has a PhD in Law as well as a SJD. Wouldn’t those two be the same?

I'm not sure what the most common JD/PhDs are, but I had a couple professors who had a JD/PhD in political science, so I do think those are fairly common.

The distinction between an SJD and PhD differs from school to school. My understanding is that a lot of times the SJD is specifically geared for those who want to teach law school, and other times the SJD is targeted at those who originally received a law degree from a non-US school.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies