The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:29:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Author Topic: The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!  (Read 34822 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:10 PM »

Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson ousted in the Democratic primary by former City Councilman Jerome Prince 48-38. Otherwise most mayoral primaries went to form. In Fort Wayne, businessman Tim Smith defeated City Councilman John Crawford 56-42 to take on incumbent Tom Henry.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »

Jim Brainard, the incumbent mayor of Carmel, won his primary yesterday by the narrowest margin of his career (55–45%); his opponent campaigned against the city's $1.3 million in debt and the mayor's advancing age (Brainard will be 69 in 2023 at the end of his seventh consecutive term in office). Brainard was co-chair of Kasich's 2016 campaign in Indiana, has been active in promoting measures to address climate change, taking part in the Task Force on Climate Preparedness during the Obama years, and successfully lobbied the city council to adopt an anti-discrimination ordinance in the aftermath of RFRA. In recent years, he has not faced an opponent outside the primary, though with Hamilton County Democrats building strength in recent years that may not be true this cycle.

The Democrats will field candidates for City Council in the general election for the first time in decades; while no Democrats filed to run against Brainard in November, it's possible the party will nominate a sacrificial lamb for the general election. Recently, the Hamilton County Democratic Party has petitioned county officials to investigate claims that Brainard or his opponent offered or solicited bribes in exchange for keeping the latter from running in the primary, which may indicate an intent to challenge the former this fall.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 07:30:15 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2019, 08:53:48 PM by Virginiá »

Howey's post-primary day short writeup:

https://howeypolitics.com/

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:49 AM

By BRIAN A. HOWEY, in Indianapolis

1. Here are your hump day power lunch talking points: Last November, Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson was elected president the National League of Cities, telling her colleagues, "I look forward to leading this organization and telling the story of Gary on the national stage.” Her "Gary story" now includes her upset primary defeat to Lake County Assessor Jerome Prince, 6,967 to 5,418, with about 1,500 votes scattered among the other seven candidates. Freeman-Wilson drew criticism for the NLC post while Gary wallowed in violence and fiscal woes. Prince entered the race just hours before deadline. "Let's reimagine Gary," Prince told the crowd (NWI Times). "Thank you for believing in me." 

[...]
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »

Howey's May 24 editorial floats former Indiana health commissioner Wayne Myers and State Rep. Karlee Macer as potential Democratic nominees for governor in 2020:

https://www.wthr.com/article/howey-gov-holcomb-and-new-wave-democrats

Gov. Orr selected Myers as health commissioner in 1985 and he made national headlines defending young Ryan White, an AIDS victim from Kokomo. As commissioner, he would work graveyard shifts in the Wishard Hospital E.R. to stay patched in to the street. New York City Mayor David Dinkins named him health commissioner in 1990 at the height of the AIDS pandemic. Myers has also served as executive vice president and chief medical officer at Anthem, and the director of health care management at Ford Motor Company.

With Indiana grappling with a public health crisis involving AIDS, methamphetamine, opioids and heroin, Myers' resume matches up to the challenge. “Everything is connected to health,” Myers said. “It’s the one thing we have in common.”

Rep. Macer is a rare Hoosier Democrat who actually has won a GOP district, which was about 54 percent Republican when she won the open seat in 2012. She won re-election by 560 votes in 2014, by 5,020 in 2016 when she out-performed Hillary Clinton significantly, and was unopposed last year. She’s a former PTO president at Ben Davis High School, and has been active in veteran affairs and with foster families. “I’ve enjoyed the pleasure of serving in many capacities and to have this opportunity is really important,” Macer said. “I’m being very serious about it.”

She’s also willing to bluntly critique Holcomb, particularly after $775,000 of Department Veterans Affairs funds were misspent. “It looks like the fox is watching the hen house,” Macer said.

Neither Myers nor Macer believe a contested primary would be good for the party. “We’re sorting it out now,” Macer said. “I definitely think for Democrats, it’s important for all of us to come together.”

Myers recalls the bitter 2008 primary race between Jill Long Thompson and Jim Schellinger and said of a nomination battle, “I hope there is not, but if there is, I’ll have to deal with it. Most party leaders would prefer a consensus.”
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 01:29:56 AM »

Howey's May 24 editorial floats former Indiana health commissioner Wayne Myers and State Rep. Karlee Macer as potential Democratic nominees for governor in 2020:

Gov. Orr selected Myers as health commissioner in 1985 and he made national headlines defending young Ryan White, an AIDS victim from Kokomo. As commissioner, he would work graveyard shifts in the Wishard Hospital E.R. to stay patched in to the street. New York City Mayor David Dinkins named him health commissioner in 1990 at the height of the AIDS pandemic. Myers has also served as executive vice president and chief medical officer at Anthem, and the director of health care management at Ford Motor Company.

With Indiana grappling with a public health crisis involving AIDS, methamphetamine, opioids and heroin, Myers' resume matches up to the challenge. “Everything is connected to health,” Myers said. “It’s the one thing we have in common.”

Rep. Macer is a rare Hoosier Democrat who actually has won a GOP district, which was about 54 percent Republican when she won the open seat in 2012. She won re-election by 560 votes in 2014, by 5,020 in 2016 when she out-performed Hillary Clinton significantly, and was unopposed last year. She’s a former PTO president at Ben Davis High School, and has been active in veteran affairs and with foster families. “I’ve enjoyed the pleasure of serving in many capacities and to have this opportunity is really important,” Macer said. “I’m being very serious about it.”

She’s also willing to bluntly critique Holcomb, particularly after $775,000 of Department Veterans Affairs funds were misspent. “It looks like the fox is watching the hen house,” Macer said.

Neither Myers nor Macer believe a contested primary would be good for the party. “We’re sorting it out now,” Macer said. “I definitely think for Democrats, it’s important for all of us to come together.”

Myers recalls the bitter 2008 primary race between Jill Long Thompson and Jim Schellinger and said of a nomination battle, “I hope there is not, but if there is, I’ll have to deal with it. Most party leaders would prefer a consensus.”
lol, the IN Dems may as well run a circus clown for governor and call it a day.  They should focus their resources on flipping some state legislative seats, defending their 2018 gains, and flipping the AG's office (now that the state school superintendent will be an appointed position).
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »

lol, the IN Dems may as well run a circus clown for governor and call it a day.  They should focus their resources on flipping some state legislative seats, defending their 2018 gains, and flipping the AG's office (now that the state school superintendent will be an appointed position).

Who will run for AG?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »

A 3rd individual, State Senator Eddie Melton from the Region, put his name in as "just exploring" for the Governor's race.

Should point out the last time the Democrats had a contested statewide primary for Governor or Senator was 2008.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »

Hill has a primary opponent for Attorney General. From Indy Politics:

http://indypolitics.org/a-few-political-items-of-interest/

Zionsville attorney John Westercamp is formally announcing this week his seeing the nomination for Attorney General.   He’s making the announcement on Thursday at stops in Indianapolis, Elkhart, Ft. Wayne and Evansville.  If you subscribe to the Cheat Sheet you knew months ago this was happening.  Also, Westercamp has been making the Lincoln Day rounds.  I ran into him at the Morgan County and Franklin Township Lincoln Day dinners. Westercamp is also one of the lawyers who helped draft RFRA and is seen in one of the photos of the signing with then-Governor Mike Pence.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »

A 3rd individual, State Senator Eddie Melton from the Region, put his name in as "just exploring" for the Governor's race.

Should point out the last time the Democrats had a contested statewide primary for Governor or Senator was 2008.
Eddie Melton?  LMFAO.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:58 PM »

Is John Gregg running again??

Wouldn't be shocked if he did, and he could keep it within 5 or 6
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2019, 03:11:57 AM »

No, no, it wouldn't be close this time, Gregg would be crushed, Holcomb has a 60/20 approval rate, I would be really surprised if the democratic candidate loses by less than 20 points
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »

No, no, it wouldn't be close this time, Gregg would be crushed, Holcomb has a 60/20 approval rate, I would be really surprised if the democratic candidate loses by less than 20 points
Not to mention voters get sick of perennial candidates eventually.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »

Gregg's chance was 2016 running against Pence. Unfortunately for him Pence withdrew to run for another job and ot became a Republican landslide.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »

Personally, I'd like to see Glenda Ritz run for Governor.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2019, 11:54:26 AM by StateBoiler »

Personally, I'd like to see Glenda Ritz run for Governor.

Co-shares last Democrat to win statewide with Joe Donnelly.

From Howey:

2. Time in the cornfield

Third CD Democrats had their “Cornfield Conference” over the weekend, begging the question, why wasn’t this a statewide event? Two potential gubernatorial hopefuls -Rep. Karlee Macer and Sen. Eddie Melton - were there. But Dr. Woody Myers, who appears to be on the brink of a candidacy and is a potential self-funder, wasn’t on the bill. Macer’s reason for not jumping in is because of two weddings for her kids this summer, telling the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, “I'm on the biggest mom high in my life.”  Melton is also taking his time, all this coming as Gov. Eric Holcomb and Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch have amassed a $5 million war chest.

Some background. "Cornfield Conference" has a political history of sorts. In 1938 when Republicans were at a nadir due to Roosevelt/Depression/New Deal/strong Democratic governor and potential-at-the-time Roosevelt heir Paul McNutt, farmer Homer Capehart organized a Cornfield Conference at his farm where a ton of Republicans gathered for a period of time and strategized their comeback, winning the governorship in 1944. Capehart also became a U.S. Senator in 1944 and served 3 terms in the Senate.

The 3rd District is Northeast Indiana. Only 3 of the ten or so counties in the district attended, and the state Democratic Party did not publicize the event. Neither did the largest county in the district, Allen (home to Fort Wayne).

Again, although there are 3 people "exploring" runs, I suspect there will only be 1 candidate that files. The Indiana Democratic Party have not had a contested statewide primary for Governor or Senator since 2008.

As far as Hale, looks like she might be going for the seat in Congress Brooks will vacate.

3. Hale yes?

A "Draft Hale for Congress" Facebook page has appeared. Former legislator Christina Hale is mulling a bid for the open 5th CD seat. "As she has proven throughout her career, Christina Hale has the experience and ability to lead. That's why we need her in Congress," the page says. Thus far, 2018 nominee Dee Thornton is the only Democrat who has signaled a candidacy, which she will kick off on July 15 in Westfield.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »

I take it that Hale is something of a known quantity, but would she be better than Ford?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »

Howey today:

Big INGov week

Here are your Monday power lunch talking points: This should be a milestone week in the Indiana governor's race. Gov. Eric Holcomb kicks off his reelect at the historic "Hoosiers" gym in Knightstown at 1 p.m. Saturday. And he still doesn't have an opponent. Dr. Woody Myers told HPI last month he would be launching in early July, so there's a week until it comes mid-July. Rep. Karlee Macer is working on emptying her nest (i.e. two of her kids are getting married), and Sen. Eddie Melton is doing a listening tour with Republican Supt. Jennifer McCormick, creating the most interesting story line, but no challenger.

Since Howey Politics Indiana has been covering gubernatorial politics (we're approaching our 25th anniversary), we have never seen a major party without a gubernatorial candidate (or frontrunner) this late in the process. Perhaps the Democratic sorting will occur at the IDEA Convention at French Lick Aug. 22-24.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »

Howey:

Myers to enter INGov

Here are your Tuesday power lunch talking points: Dr. Woody Myers is set to become the first Democratic gubernatorial contender. He kicks off his campaign at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the old Wishard Hospital ER, where he used to treat and teach. He will be introduced by Baron Hill. Myers becomes the first entry of a trio of candidates pondering a run, with State Rep. Karlee Macer and State Sen. Eddie Melton weighing bids.

Don't be surprised if Myers is the only Democrat in the race  by the time of the IDEA confab at French Lick in late August. Why? First, Myers can self fund to an extent (his Conrad Hotel condo is worth a reported $4.5 million). Second, Democrats have a historic aversion to contested INGov primaries  (Matt Welsh, Larry Conrad, John Hillenbrand III, Wayne Townsend, Evan Bayh, Frank O'Bannon and John Gregg were nomination shoo-ins). The notable exception was the 2008 slugfest between Jill Long Thompson and Jim Schellinger. JLT won the primary by less than 1%, then lost in a landslide to Gov. Mitch Daniels without much funding. Third, both Macer and Melton would have to give up their General Assembly seats to run. Melton is a lock on his Gary seat and the Dems would retain it if he runs for governor. Macer has defended her Speedway seat, but if it opens, Republicans would have a shot. Super minority Dems can't afford to lose any more seats. For Melton and Macer, floating a gov bid this cycle is good politics. It puts their names out in the gubernatorial context, setting up potential runs in 2024 when the seat will likely be open.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »

🚨🚨🚨HALE IN🚨🚨🚨

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/11/christina-hale-enters-indiana-5th-district-congressional-race/1691643001/

Former Democratic state Rep. Christina Hale is officially running to fill Susan Brooks' 5th Congressional District seat.

Hale, who was John Gregg's running mate during his 2016 gubernatorial campaign, is a favorite among party insiders who think she has a shot at switching a historically red district to blue.

While the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee hasn't endorsed her, the campaign arm reached out to Hale about running, even as early as 2018.

"This is an opportunity that I've been interested in because it's an opportunity to serve," Hale, 47, told IndyStar on Wednesday. "And I think people are ready for someone who really cares about these practical issues, someone who really cares about Hoosier families, and will be focused on things that make the difference to everyday people, like healthcare, like education opportunity."

Well, this race got more interesting.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »

Race is Lean R for sure.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2019, 11:17:23 AM »

Rokita is considering making a return to the Statehouse still (former Secretary of State) and running for Attorney General. He was beside Holcomb when Holcomb made his reelect campaign official. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »

Rokita is considering making a return to the Statehouse still (former Secretary of State) and running for Attorney General. He was beside Holcomb when Holcomb made his reelect campaign official. 
I think the Kavanaugh Effect might doom Rokita's prospects.  In another political climate, he'd have a chance, but Hill might end up having the bigger base.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »

The ethics investigation prior to AG Hill's disciplinary hearing is getting LIT:

https://www.abc57.com/news/court-grants-curtis-hill-access-to-state-inspector-generals-records

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill's lawyers have won their fight for records of the state inspector general's investigation into allegations that Hill drunkenly groped four women.

Hill's attorneys sought the records as they defend him in attorney disciplinary proceedings he faces that could lead to his disbarment as a lawyer.

Former state Supreme Court Justice Myra Selby is the hearing officer for Hill's case. She ruled that Hill's lawyers had shown they couldn't obtain from another source the information contained in the inspector general's report.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »

Yup, if Curtis Hill remains on the ballot it is very likely that he will not carry Hamilton County, Indiana.

Not because it will trend into a Democratic county but because it is 1) part of a necessary coalition for a close statewide race in Indiana and 2) they are far more politically aware and educated than the dullards in the rest of the state.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »

Yup, if Curtis Hill remains on the ballot it is very likely that he will not carry Hamilton County, Indiana.

Not because it will trend into a Democratic county but because it is 1) part of a necessary coalition for a close statewide race in Indiana

WHAT??!?!!!!???!? Shocked

If a Democrat is having a close race or winning Indiana it is likely they are carrying Hamilton County in the future or at least losing it by a razor thin margin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies