Which rep Senate seats Dems should focus on in 2018 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which rep Senate seats Dems should focus on in 2018 ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which rep Senate seats Dems should focus on in 2018 ? (max 4)
Iowa

Maine

North Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

West Virginia

Kentucky

Tennessee

Mississippi (assuming reps win the run-off)

Arkansas

Louisiana

Texas

Oklahoma

Kansas

Nebraska

South Dakota

Montana

Idaho

Wyoming

Colorado

Arizona

Alaska

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which rep Senate seats Dems should focus on in 2018 ?  (Read 1572 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »

Tier one: Competitive

#1: Colorado
#2: Maine, this is definitely an underrated pickup opportunity for D's even if Collins runs and wins a primary again.
#3: Arizona, should be competitive no matter what.
#4: North Carolin

Tier two: Worth trying

#5: Georgia
#6: Iowa

Tier three: Longshots

#7: Texas
#8: Montana
#9: Alaska

Everything else is safe.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »

Colorado is the obvious one and should offset Alabama.

Maine is a decent opportunity for Ds though Collins would be favored, and it won’t be free regardless in a presidential year.

To gain the senate Dems would need at least two others. The possibilities for gains would be North Carolina, Arizona, and Iowa principally. Cornyn won’t be challenged in Texas and Daines would beat Bullock in a senate race anyway. Georgia isn’t going to elect a Dem over Perdue.

So basically Dems need 2/3 of North Carolina, Arizona, and Iowa in my estimation to win the senate. They have a good shot at North Carolina and Arizona, though Iowa is probably a hill too far. Maine is also a sketchy pickup given Collins.

I think Rs hold senate even if Trump is losing in a Romney style manner, basically. And I think that is unlikely in the first place - in a D+7.5 environment Michigan elected Stabenow by 6.5, and Evers by less than 1.5. Trump is the incumbent president and so will be very tough to beat in those states - I think he will be tough to beat in Pennsylvania as well. If Georgia, Texas, or Arizona had a few more years of demographic change I could buy D chances there, but as things stand I honestly think Ds need to win the Rust Belt to have a chance.

Trump likely increased his advantage in MI and WI, but look at PA and AZ, and NH/ME at least didn't get any worse.  From there, they only need one of NC/GA/FL, and 2 of the 3 clearly moved their way (the GOP statewide PV win in NC is due to an uncontested CD).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 06:44:32 PM »

1. Colorado
2. Arizona
3. Georgia
4. Montana/North Carolina
6. Maine
7. Texas /Iowa
9. Alaska
10. Louisiana

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »

Maine is a fool's errand unless Collins retires or is primaried. In order of most to least likely to flip:

1. Colorado
[2.] Maine*
2. Arizona
3. Iowa
4. North Carolina
5. Montana
6. Texas
7. Georgia
8. Alaska
9. Maine**
10. South Carolina
11. [Everything else - all Safe R barring something very surprising]

*If Collins retires or loses her primary.
**If Collins runs for reelection, as she probably will.

If I had to basically guess-forecast from this far out, Democrats gain Colorado, Iowa, Arizona and North Carolina and lose Alabama for a net of D+3 and a tied Senate.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »

1. Colorado
2. Maine if Collins retires
3. North Carolina
4. Montana with Bullock
TheBeardedOne
United States
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/12/18086302/arizona-senate-race-martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema

Here is the link that says Kyl can leave before 2020 and give the seat to McSally. Kyl retires in Jan 2019 and Ducey appoints McSally

Ducey is going to appoint himself.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/12/18086302/arizona-senate-race-martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema

Here is the link that says Kyl can leave before 2020 and give the seat to McSally. Kyl retires in Jan 2019 and Ducey appoints McSally

Not if Hobbs wins the Secretary of State race.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 06:51:29 PM »

Which is basically why im keeping AZ senate as Lean D 2020 coz Kelli Ward has the most name rec and will win the primary.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »

Which is basically why im keeping AZ senate as Lean D 2020 coz Kelli Ward has the most name rec and will win the primary.

I don't think Ward will win. McSally nuked her pretty easily, and her popularity has only gone down since then with her botched handling of McCain's death.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »

I don't think Ward will win. McSally nuked her pretty easily, and her popularity has only gone down since then with her botched handling of McCain's death.

Its not like a solid Lean D but closer to a gun to the head choice anyway but I still think some crazy gets in by saying LOOK WHAT HAPPENED to the last moderate person. We need a True Conservative TM(aka ruben gallego or Grant Woods)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »

Republicans really do have no one else(provided Hobbs win the SOS race, keeping Ducey at bay). Kimberly Yee is someone with a future but she was just elected. Mark Brnovich had an embarrassingly close reelection scare. McSally I guess, but she's on track to get less than  48% against a Dem+Green. None of the other R House members are probably electable statewide

Could Higgs go for it? I never heard anything from him. Ik Sweikert has ethics issues and Lesko should be removed after that special election and gosar is batsh**t crazy but higgs seems like a backbencher.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies