TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:52:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting  (Read 53866 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

Weak.

Oh well time to pour our energy into MJ Hegar.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »

Great bio and very charismatic with no voting record to attack for being too liberal or whatever.

I'm glad Castro's out. He'd be associated with his brother, who's running way to the left with zero charisma in the POTUS primary. Joaquin would have a difficult time denouncing everything his brother says. I think Hegar'll be a way better candidate.

Im starting to wonder if y'all were awake during the 2018 midterms when a guy running on a Medicare for All, Tight Gun Control, Pro-Choice Platform almost beat Ted Cruz.
He backed off Medicare for All (he'd never signed onto the house bill), and started preaching bipartisanship as the election came close. And no, I'm not saying the candidate has to be pro-gun and anti-abortion. I just think Julian's vanity run for POTUS would have really hurt Joaquin if he had tried to run for senate.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2019, 07:12:31 PM »

They key to knocking off Conryn is painting him as a Washington Insider and a creature of the swamp, Hegar can do that a lot better than Castro.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #328 on: May 01, 2019, 07:57:45 PM »

I get that it's an uphill battle, but Castro is really selfish. This is a horrible cycle for the Democrats in terms of recruitment.

Castro is upset with his brother's chances in the Democratic primary, Joaquin is gonna stay in the House where he is a safer bet.

We have a recruitment in MJ Hegar.

Hegar has never won an election before.

Were you the poster calling her a “perennial candidate” last week when she’s only run in one election?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #329 on: May 01, 2019, 08:11:40 PM »

Castro is so overated glad he is out.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2019, 10:05:25 AM »

YMMV, but after following the 2018 elections closely, O'Rourke seems like the only candidate in that batch with a strong personal appeal. There were others who ran out of a unique political niche (Sinema) or who ran particularly strong campaigns (Abrams), but Texas was the only contest where it seemed like no other candidate could have done so well.

Eh. I don't think any Republican other than Rick Scott was going to knock off Bill Nelson that year. It took Scott's own goodwill from his hurricane management in 2017 to really put him over the edge.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »

YMMV, but after following the 2018 elections closely, O'Rourke seems like the only candidate in that batch with a strong personal appeal. There were others who ran out of a unique political niche (Sinema) or who ran particularly strong campaigns (Abrams), but Texas was the only contest where it seemed like no other candidate could have done so well.

Eh. I don't think any Republican other than Rick Scott was going to knock off Bill Nelson that year. It took Scott's own goodwill from his hurricane management in 2017 to really put him over the edge.

IMO it's hard to compare the statewide maps in Florida and come away thinking that the candidates had that much to do with the outcomes in 2018.

Of course in a razor's-edge contest it's inarguable that they mattered.

I still wonder whether that Senate loss had more to do with Scott's Guns-of-Navarone-level campaign spending, or with Bill Nelson being vulnerable to a "doddering old man" caricature that would have been effective regardless of his opponent.

This question deserves some national attention given the age of the leading Democratic presidential contenders.

Well Trump isn't that much younger than Bernie or Biden. But I think it'll be hard to paint either as a "tired old man" like Nelson. Nelson didn't even really start fundraising/campaigning until September 2018 because he assumed that Scott would be another pushover like Harris or Mack. Both Bernie and Biden have a lot more energy, and won't take anything for granted. They should be fine on that front as long as they don't collapse in public a la Hillary at the 9/11 memorial.

And I do think Scott was the only one who could have beaten Nelson. As a popular incumbent governor who also happens to be a multimillionaire, Scott was just about the strongest candidate Republicans could have fielded for that race, and considering how close it was even with him, I find it hard to believe that anyone else could have won.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »

Stevens is gone in 2020, Spanberger probably loses, Luria is a poor Tossup, Sherrill strikes me as overrated, I live in Morris County, she probably won't win it again, her support in Montclair, the Oranges, Little Falls, and the Essex and Passaic part of the district will get her reelected, I doubt she wins by more than 6-7 and could lose on a good night for Republicans

Lmao you really are an increasingly ridiculous parody of yourself
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »

Stevens is gone in 2020, Spanberger probably loses, Luria is a poor Tossup, Sherrill strikes me as overrated, I live in Morris County, she probably won't win it again, her support in Montclair, the Oranges, Little Falls, and the Essex and Passaic part of the district will get her reelected, I doubt she wins by more than 6-7 and could lose on a good night for Republicans

I agree and #StrongCandidate Barbara Comstock would make VA-10 Tossup/Tilt D in a rematch.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #334 on: May 11, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »

The reason Beto lost was because he failed to increase Hispanic turnout to the same level as he did among other voters. That is why Castro was the best candidate.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #335 on: May 11, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »

The reason Beto lost was because he failed to increase Hispanic turnout to the same level as he did among other voters. That is why Castro was the best candidate.

Assuming Castro would've been able to replicate Beto's performance in every other demographic.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »

Assuming Castro would've been able to replicate Beto's performance in every other demographic.

Yep, that’s a big if which is part of the reason I think Hegar is likely better than Castro.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »

Yep, that’s a big if which is part of the reason I think Hegar is likely better than Castro.
WHy would Hegar replicate it?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »

I think Hegar has a compelling message and will be able to effectively portray Cornyn as a tired DC insider, she lost because she was triaged and even so did very well for a previously safe Relublican district.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »

The only way Heger wins, if its a 2012, wave, and Joe Biden can replicate it, but it will be tough
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »

I mean the main reason is that she already did well in TX-31 last year. It’s not guaranteed, but it won’t hurt to actually try.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2019, 10:06:50 PM »

but would that erase cruz’s 200k margin
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #342 on: May 12, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »

Cornyn wins by double digits.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #343 on: May 12, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »

I think his ceiling his probably 55%. That's what he got in 2008, when Texas was much more Republican and the Democrats nominated a sacrificial lamb.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »

Nah. By 5-7.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #346 on: May 13, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »

The best would have been to have Beto run for Senate and Castro run for Governor.
MapModerate
Rookie
« Reply #348 on: May 13, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »

Because Castro has ALL of Beto's strength as a campaigner, plus he is a brown! Makes sense to me! Logic!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #349 on: May 13, 2019, 03:17:43 PM »

The last time he ran for a election, Bush was President and the Governor's election was split.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies