TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:08:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting  (Read 54066 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: November 23, 2018, 05:07:18 PM »

The Castros aren't good candidates, especially Julian. Julian doesn't even speak good spanish and he is hispanic!
Inb4 IceSpear

I actually agree the Castros would probably be meh candidates, but not because #SpeakingSpanishMatters, lol. Just ask Rep-elect Donna Shalala.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »

The Castros aren't good candidates, especially Julian. Julian doesn't even speak good spanish and he is hispanic!
Inb4 IceSpear

I actually agree the Castros would probably be meh candidates, but not because #SpeakingSpanishMatters, lol. Just ask Rep-elect Donna Shalala.
I mean it did affect her but she would literally have to be roy moore to lose a clinton 20 district in a D 9 year that is also open.

I think Shalala only did a few points worse than Nelson/Gillum, and if anything that was due to the constant horrible press she got from the media that desperately wanted her to lose and the fact that Salazar was a much better fit for the district than DeSantis/Scott, not because she didn't speak Spanish.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »

Inb4 IceSpear

I mean it did affect her but she would literally have to be roy moore to lose a clinton 20 district in a D 9 year that is also open.

I think Shalala only did a few points worse than Nelson/Gillum, and if anything that was due to the constant horrible press she got from the media that desperately wanted her to lose and the fact that Salazar was a much better fit for the district than DeSantis/Scott, not because she didn't speak Spanish.

Yeah I still loled at wasserman changing it to Tossups because mclaughlin.

I also remember Atlas freaking out because of Muhlaughlin, lol.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »

Do you guys think Cornyn would be more beatable in 2020 than Cruz was in 2018?

No, Cornyn will outrun Trump almost everywhere in the state and win by 8-9 points.

Ah yeah, the voters who will vote/have voted for a Democrat for president in 2016, a Democrat for state legislature in 2018, a Democrat for House in 2018, a Democrat for Senate in 2018, and a Democrat for president in 2020 are certainly going to support John Cornyn for Senate because he’s more "likeable" and less "extremist" than Cruz, right?

Cornyn will win Hays County. I hear thousands of Lupe Valdez voters are itching to vote for him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:27:38 PM »

Beto would obviously be the best, but I don't think Hegar would be that big of a downgrade honestly. She seems like a pretty great candidate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »

This article highlights the challenges Cornyn faces in what will almost certainly be his toughest election yet and not necessarily an easier race for Republicans than TX-SEN 2018.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/could-john-cornyn-lose-senate-seat-2020/

Definitely worth a read.

Cornyn could definitely be vulnerable, but in order to capitalize on that Dems are going to need to get out of their 2004-esque mindset and start funding Hegar (or whoever else) generously rather than lighting money on fire in places like Kentucky, Alabama, Colorado, IA-04, MN-07, Massachusetts for muh Kennedy, etc. Without a well funded Democratic challenger, Cornyn will just skate through by default. Sadly, anything that requires the Democratic Party apparatus to recognize it's no longer the 90s does not inspire much optimism from me.

Amy McGrath raising more in one day than MJ Hegar has raised in the entire campaign is a highlight of the incompetence of the Democratic establishment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies