Democratic Leadership Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:15:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Author Topic: Democratic Leadership Elections  (Read 26560 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 29, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »

Republicans can now target and make her busy for the next 2 years.I don't think she will lose but a strong recruit with good funding can make her sweat
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2018, 04:35:55 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2018, 04:47:50 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbedk »

And Bustos and Maloney were the only ones who ran for DCCC chair? God I hate my party. Now we'll get more lame boring mushy middle centrists for house. I don't know much about CCM(new DSCC chair). She seems okay I guess.

And I agree with lfromj, now the NRCC will paint her as "caring more about the Pelosi democrats then the people of this district" yada yada. You know, the kind of rhetoric these idiot "swing voters" like. And barring a D landslide, Trump will definitely carry this in 2020. Rurals are trending R and Rock Island doesn't seem to be moving back to it's previous Double  Digit Dem victories. So she's now made herself more vulnerable
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »

Too lazy to find the thread asking about primary challengers for the Pelosi dissenters looking to advance their own interests by challenging her:

What should Nancy Pelosi do about Democratic Representative Henry Cuellar who attended a fundraiser for Republican Representative John Carter even though he was in a tight race with Democratic challenger Mary Jennings Hegar?

Or, should Pelosi and her supporters only be concerned about those who target Pelosi personally?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2018, 05:53:12 PM by Virginiá »

Or, should Pelosi and her supporters only be concerned about those who target Pelosi personally?

Cuellar would be a good target, sure. I would think that the bare minimum for party loyalty is that you don't go raising money for the other side.

I'm not really invested in Pelosi one way or the other. I'm just more suspicious of Moulton's actual motives.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #454 on: November 29, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »

This is so f**king dumb.

The purpose of the DCCC should be to elect Democrats, not to be a mutual protection cartel.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #455 on: November 29, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »

"Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) beat Rep. Terri Sewell (D-Ala.) for the caucus representative post, a job reserved for a member who has served five terms or less. Sewell's loss, combined with Lee's defeat Wednesday, leaves Democrats without an African-American woman in their leadership ranks."

Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/29/busto-house-democrats-campaign-arm-1027901

That's kinda crazy considering how important Black women are to Democratic electoral success.

Here's a full list of leadership for the next two years:

Speaker: Nancy Pelosi
Majority Leader: Steny Hoyer
Majority Whip: Jim Clyburn
Caucus Chair: Hakeem Jeffries
Assistant Majority Leader: Ben Ray Lujan
Caucus Vice Chair: Katherine Clark
DPCC Chair (a new, separate position from the DPCC Co-Chairs, apparently): David Cicilline
DPCC Co-Chairs: Ted Lieu, Debbie Dingell, and Matt Cartwright
Caucus Representative: Jamie Raskin
new_patomic

« Reply #456 on: November 29, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2018, 06:12:43 PM by new_patomic »

I've really gotta learn to let it go, but since it's Illinois politics...

Bustos has without issue voted for Nancy Pelosi in every speaker election since she was first elected in 2012 and has even had Pelosi send out fundraising emails for her. In both the 2016 and 2018 cycles she was involved in numerous roles for the DCCC including co-chairing the "Red to Blue" program and as Chair of Heartland Engagement. So her being in charge of the DCCC ain't gonna suddenly make her a "Pelosi Democrat" when she's already been one since her first election.

While the district went from Obama +17 to Trump +1 there really isn't any indication that it's slipped further away, and both her own election and elections at the state-level support this. This is a district Kerry carried just 51-48 and it isn't some rural wasteland, and it isn't nearly as difficult as other Obama-Trump districts like IL-12.

Now she isn't as safe as Jan Schakowsky by any means but if the GOP wants to dumb millions trying to unseat her in 2020, then by all means, waste that money. This is a woman who knows how to walk and talk at the same time, the DCCC is in good hands.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #457 on: November 29, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2018, 06:11:32 PM by Pope Michael Bolton »

This is so f**king dumb.

The purpose of the DCCC should be to elect Democrats, not to be a mutual protection cartel.

Let's wait and see if this is just an empty statement before getting all riled up; I doubt Lipinski, Moulton, etc will be getting off so easily come 2020.

Cuellar would be a good target, sure. I would think that the bare minimum for party loyalty is that you don't go raising money for the other side.

I'm not really invested in Pelosi one way or the other. I'm just more suspicious of Moulton's actual motives.

It's already been tried twice with Cueller, the problem is that he has an insanely large personal vote in Laredo County.  Folks there turn out in droves for him for some reason.  The only way to get rid of him is probably if Laredo County is somehow cut out of the district.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #458 on: November 29, 2018, 06:07:57 PM »

And I agree with lfromj, now the NRCC will paint her as "caring more about the Pelosi democrats then the people of this district" yada yada. You know, the kind of rhetoric these idiot "swing voters" like. And barring a D landslide, Trump will definitely carry this in 2020. Rurals are trending R and Rock Island doesn't seem to be moving back to it's previous Double  Digit Dem victories. So she's now made herself more vulnerable

Bustos will be fine. Despite the belief that her district should be getting harder for her to win, she has expanded her margins every single time (6-point win in 2012, 10-point win in 2014, 20-point win in 2016 and 24-point win in 2018). She is the consummate retail politician and that's why her numbers continue to strengthen despite any perceived disadvantages of her district. I'm confident she knows just how much water she can take on before being endangered.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #459 on: November 29, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »

"Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) beat Rep. Terri Sewell (D-Ala.) for the caucus representative post, a job reserved for a member who has served five terms or less. Sewell's loss, combined with Lee's defeat Wednesday, leaves Democrats without an African-American woman in their leadership ranks."

Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/29/busto-house-democrats-campaign-arm-1027901

That's kinda crazy considering how important Black women are to Democratic electoral success.

DPCC Chair (a new, separate position from the DPCC Co-Chairs, apparently): David Cicilline

Wow.

With the defeat of Sewall to Raskin, the CPC controls every leadership position besides the big three(though Pelosi was a former member). Thats insane.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #460 on: November 29, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »

Wow.

With the defeat of Sewall to Raskin, the CPC controls every leadership position besides the big three(though Pelosi was a former member). Thats insane.
Thrilled Raskin defeated sewell, I couldn't stand her and he's definitely a great progressive.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #461 on: November 29, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »

Wow.

Thrilled Raskin defeated sewell, I couldn't stand her and he's definitely a great progressive.

Um, what's wrong with Sewell?

Also, I do think that the Democratic Party has to have Black women apart of it's leadership. Sucks that it didn't happen this year. It better happen in 2020.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #462 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:48 PM »

I've really gotta learn to let it go, but since it's Illinois politics...

Bustos has without issue voted for Nancy Pelosi in every speaker election since she was first elected in 2012 and has even had Pelosi send out fundraising emails for her. In both the 2016 and 2018 cycles she was involved in numerous roles for the DCCC including co-chairing the "Red to Blue" program and as Chair of Heartland Engagement. So her being in charge of the DCCC ain't gonna suddenly make her a "Pelosi Democrat" when she's already been one since her first election.

While the district went from Obama +17 to Trump +1 there really isn't any indication that it's slipped further away, and both her own election and elections at the state-level support this. This is a district Kerry carried just 51-48 and it isn't some rural wasteland, and it isn't nearly as difficult as other Obama-Trump districts like IL-12.

Now she isn't as safe as Jan Schakowsky by any means but if the GOP wants to dumb millions trying to unseat her in 2020, then by all means, waste that money. This is a woman who knows how to walk and talk at the same time, the DCCC is in good hands.

This is a good take. I'm glad Bustos is heading the DCCC.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #463 on: November 29, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »

Wow.

Um, what's wrong with Sewell?

Also, I do think that the Democratic Party has to have Black women apart of it's leadership. Sucks that it didn't happen this year. It better happen in 2020.

Sewell was the moderate choice in the election, and Raskin was the Progressive Choice. Progressives outnumber moderates. Raskin wins.

I am not really that in favor of having people in power just because of their demographics, but Barbara Lee was a candidate, and if the Dems wanted an African American woman, well, they had the choice(though Jeffries is alright).
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #464 on: November 29, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »

That was disappointing. Sewell was largely responsible for organizing the operation that got Doug Jones elected to the Senate, so I had really hoped they'd reward her with a leadership spot. Ah well.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #465 on: November 29, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »

That was disappointing. Sewell was largely responsible for organizing the operation that got Doug Jones elected to the Senate, so I had really hoped they'd reward her with a leadership spot. Ah well.

yeah the Alabama D party was basically non existent so it was basically all Sewell who got Jones set up.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »

So I did some research on this Jeffries character, and the guy really is an a**hole.  He opposed Medicare for All, in addition to all the other horrible, "moderate" positions he holds.  And he's pretty much fully funded by big money.  
The position he won is stupid, so I don't really care that he won, but please stop calling this clown a progressive.  He's anything but.

It's politicians like this guy that make people lose interest in politics.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: November 29, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »

The problem is that bustos actually has to campaign in her own district too. She can't just sleep at home when Trump probably wins her districts in 2020. You need someone who can give undivided attention to the DCCC.

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:54 PM »

So I did some research on this Jeffries character, and the guy really is an a**hole.  He opposed Medicare for All, in addition to all the other horrible, "moderate" positions he holds.  And he's pretty much fully funded by big money.  
The position he won is stupid, so I don't really care that he won, but please stop calling this clown a progressive.  He's anything but.

But zaybay told me he was  a "progressive"
Thatkat04
« Reply #469 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »

Jeffries was a co-sponsor of bill H.R.676. Or more commonly known as the "Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act".

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/676/cosponsors

Just because Jeffries is vocal about improving the ACA doesnt mean he's opposed to Medicare for all. I saw Cenk Uygur making the same claim on twitter, its a bold faced lie.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: November 29, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »

So I did some research on this Jeffries character, and the guy really is an a**hole.  He opposed Medicare for All, in addition to all the other horrible, "moderate" positions he holds.  And he's pretty much fully funded by big money. 
The position he won is stupid, so I don't really care that he won, but please stop calling this clown a progressive.  He's anything but.

I mean, a good amount of that isnt true. Jeffries is a supporter of Medicare for All, as his voting record shows. He has very few moderate positions, his famous one being on charter schools, and his voting records puts him right in the middle of the CPC. I cant defend him taking from law firms and real estate companies though.

Hes a moderate Progressive, still Progressive, but not on the full Left.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #471 on: November 30, 2018, 01:02:13 AM »

Jeffries was a co-sponsor of bill H.R.676. Or more commonly known as the "Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act".

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/676/cosponsors

Just because Jeffries is vocal about improving the ACA doesnt mean he's opposed to Medicare for all. I saw Cenk Uygur making the same claim on twitter, its a bold faced lie.

Are there still people who listen to this holocaust denier?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #472 on: November 30, 2018, 01:31:01 AM »

Cicilline is the worst one on that list. Ugh. He's awful and frankly its a surprise he's not gone to prison yet.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #473 on: November 30, 2018, 01:33:10 AM »

So I did some research on this Jeffries character, and the guy really is an a**hole.  He opposed Medicare for All, in addition to all the other horrible, "moderate" positions he holds.  And he's pretty much fully funded by big money. 
The position he won is stupid, so I don't really care that he won, but please stop calling this clown a progressive.  He's anything but.

I mean, a good amount of that isnt true. Jeffries is a supporter of Medicare for All, as his voting record shows. He has very few moderate positions, his famous one being on charter schools, and his voting records puts him right in the middle of the CPC. I cant defend him taking from law firms and real estate companies though.

Hes a moderate Progressive, still Progressive, but not on the full Left.

Who said, that Democratic party is far left and nothing more? Or - that it must be far left and nothing more. Until demographic changes will transform country in majority-minority (about 2045, IIRC) - i don't see that as a winning strategy. And - not sure it will be a winning strategy even then.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #474 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »

Cicilline is the worst one on that list. Ugh. He's awful and frankly its a surprise he's not gone to prison yet.

I’d say Clyburn’s worse, but Cicilline is pretty corrupt.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies