Northerners: Would you be a 'lost causer' for a defeated abolitionist secession?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Northerners: Would you be a 'lost causer' for a defeated abolitionist secession?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: title
Yes, it's my heritage

No, it's treason

Dirtbag center option

Only if the flag looks cool

The metaphor doesn't hold

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Northerners: Would you be a 'lost causer' for a defeated abolitionist secession?  (Read 681 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »

I see a lot of people playing the 'it's treason' card on the Confederate flag issue, which in my view is entirely irrelevant to the moral issue at hand. Consider this hypothetical scenario:

Sometime in the 1850s, fearing the growth of slave power, a convention of Midatlantic free states declare their secession from the Union and offer unconditional asylum to escaped slaves. After it becomes clear that the Federal Government intends to put down the rebellion by force, several other states in the Midwest also secede. The resulting war is about as long and about as bloody as the real Civil War, and ends with the North defeated and put under a long Reconstruction. Slavery is abolished sometime in the early 20th century after it becomes entirely unprofitable.

In this case, would you not support Northern secession in hindsight, even if it were 'treason'? I certainly would, and I don't think it is a particularly difficult decision.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »

Option 2.5
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:58:23 PM »

I'm originally from a border state.

That said, probably.  I don't think the Constitution prevents secession, I only oppose the CSA because of their reasoning behind secession.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 04:40:16 AM »

The Union could not allow CSA secession to stand because they would have fought over the areas not already admitted into the United States.  There had already been a civil war in the Kansas Territory over whether it should join the union as a free state or as a slave state.

When Lincoln referred to 'The Great Experiment,' I personally think there is no question part of that was a reference to Manifest Destiny, that the U.S would eventually include the entire continental area north of Mexico and South of Canada and Canadian territories.  Since both the CSA and the USA wanted the unincorporated territories, they would have had to gone to war anyway.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »

I think I’ve tried to point out before that Northern secession would have been counterproductive to abolitionist goals. That said, no, I’ve never tried to actually answer this question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies