Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:03:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 41
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.  (Read 76173 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
« edited: November 15, 2018, 01:35:16 PM by Virginiá »

Porter's lead surges!

-

Old thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=306007.0
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »

Wow, and it was even OC that did that, not LA. Still a lot of votes waiting to be reported for CA-39 from LA. So this should be a very easy Cisneros win from here.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:09:17 PM »

Wasserman called CA-45  for Porter.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »

Wow, and it was even OC that did that, not LA. Still a lot of votes waiting to be reported for CA-39 from LA. So this should be a very easy Cisneros win from here.

Remember when Young Kim was a Strong Candidate that would surely win by double digits?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »

He might as well call CA-39 for Cisneros as well, even though he isn't leading atm.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »

He might as well call CA-39 for Cisneros as well, even though he isn't leading atm.

that'll piss of the trumpists who think he knows about the democratic hacking.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »

that'll piss of the trumpists who think he knows about the democratic hacking.

That is true. Play it safe.

Although, Trumpists did throw their sh*t about "hacking" when the networks called CA for Newsom even though Cox was up 88% with three precincts in. Roll Eyes
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »

I love that Mimi Walters lost after being so confident about winning that she refused to have any debates with Katie Porter.  Just desserts.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »

Sad.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »

Remember when Young Kim was a Strong Candidate that would surely win by double digits?
I member
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »

Those were obvious bullsh**t having Trump at even approval. Hmm its almost like illegal border crossers are just as underpolled as racist white hicks in Missouri and Indiana.
She still was a decent candidate keeping an open seat this close. Parties really should give up on open seats won by the losing president in a midterm. There is just little way they can hold these seats unless the candidate is God tier level and the district/state is VERY different downballot such as Manchin WV 2010.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »

I’m sure it’s because her policy positions and definitely not because of her skin color and gender

Yes, her skin color factors into it. We need more black Republicans, as I've said before. If you have a problem with that, you can take a hike.
No, we most certainly do not need any more Republicans
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »

Sad.

Lmao.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »

Anyone have any insight into TX-23? How many absentees are left? Ortiz-Jones attended new member orientation.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »

Anyone have any insight into TX-23? How many absentees are left? Ortiz-Jones attended new member orientation.

Provisional ballots are being counted, but a judge denied more time to count them and a deadline is coming up.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »

Provisional ballots are being counted, but a judge denied more time to count them and a deadline is coming up.

I saw McAdams was there too, I know people in close races can attend orientation but it must suck to get that experience knowing you won't be back again as a Rep.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »

Glad Porter won. Not because of anything to do with her but because Mimi Walters had one of the most insufferable attitudes about her district voting for Clinton being a fluke of any of the Clinton seat Republicans

Yeah. I have a particular strong dislike of her, and that’s no small part of why.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 09:10:28 PM »

Sad.

Well, who could expect the RNC to know anything about elections?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »

Looks like CA-48 won't end up being all that close.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »

Remember the concern trolling before the election that the Democrats were going to lose all these seats in Orange County because so many more Registered Republicans had returned their ballots than Registered Democrats?
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:38 PM »

This guy from the Salt lake Tribune still thinks McAdams is on course to (maybe) win UT-04 (albeit very narrowly, and it is pretty much tied):

Dave Wasserman thinks that is implausible, because turnout is then substantially higher in Salt Lake County than in Utah County:

The point that 100% of 2016 is different from 80% is true... And if we were comparing to an election that was a longer time ago, the population growth point would be a good point... but I don't think the population growth point is actually SUCH a great point here, because it has only been 2 years since 2016. The growth is not going to be THAT disproportionate in just a span of 2 years. And Salt Lake County is also growing (10.3% since 2010).

So could it just be that turnout in Utah County is in fact substantially lower than in Salt Lake County? That could (maybe) be the case if there are a lot of Mormons who normally vote R who are ... less... fired up than other base Republicans about voting in the era of Trump. Mormons are much more pro-immigration, so they may have been disgusted by Trump's caravan antics. While that may have driven up turnout among other GOP base voters, it may not have worked so well in turning out Mormons.

If so, then what are you left with in UT-04? A Dem base that is super-charged to vote, and an R base that is not so much. If that is the case, you would maybe expect substantially higher turnout in Salt Lake County.

I would think the guy from the Salt Lake Trib would have checked the #s he is posting with local election officials, so perhaps the turnout really is just that different.

The good news here would be that if that is so, then McAdams can still win (maybe).

The bad news is that means he will be more likely to lose in 2020, when the turnout may not be so uneven. On the other hand though, in 2020 Trump will be on the ballot and Romney will not, so that may help McAdams.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »

I'm not even sure Walters could have beaten Ron Varasteh in a rematch lol.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »

Looks like CA-48 won't end up being all that close.

OOF. Anyway yeah the russia scandal didn't help. I think of any of the orange county seats that flips back at all it will probably be the 48th. If the commision wants to help republicans they might just make the 49th 39th and 45th more D but make the 48th more R.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »

What are you talking about? The CA redistricting commission is explicitly banned from taking political considerations into account in any way (as it should be).
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »

Kern has only updated once since election night (or early on 11/9), so there should be another vote dump coming.

Kern has a little over 22,000 votes outstanding. Not all of those will be in this district; maybe 8,000 will be. They include some late VBM ballots but are mostly provisionals. (While the California SOS is not always the most up-to-date source on remaining ballots, it says Kern was updated on 11/11 when the county last reported updated totals on 11/9, so I'm fairly confident that the numbers here are accurate for Kern.)

There are some but significantly fewer ballots left in Kings County (about 5,000), mostly late VBMs but also some provisionals.

Unclear if there are any ballots left in Fresno County since the last update to the CA SOS was on 11/9 so does not reflect today's report. If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably done on late VBMs but have not reported provisionals.

Tulare County is only a very small part of the district but still has a lot of ballots outstanding overall, though most will be from outside of CA-21.

For what it's worth, I don't think any provisionals have been counted yet in any of the counties in the district (or, at least, not in Kern or Kings; perhaps some were in today's report from Fresno), so we can't say much about how they will break with any certainty. However, based on history in the heavily Latino counties of the Central Valley, Cox will probably win the provisionals even in Kings. Late VBM ballots will probably be about the same breakdowns as what has been reported over the last few days thus far, i.e., Valadao wins them in Kings by a wide margin and Cox wins them in Kern by an even wider margin.

https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/statewide-elections/2018-general/unprocessed-ballots-report.pdf?_ga=2.46213028.2001522264.1542155537-1293758651.1542155537
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies