To Wish Upon a Star
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  To Wish Upon a Star
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: To Wish Upon a Star  (Read 3112 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 03:05:59 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2019, 03:10:35 PM by Dave Leip »

The farewell Address is OTL but ike is replaced by Disney and the Korea segment is taken out

President Harry S. Truman Farewell Address; January 15th, 1949

"My fellow Americans:

I am happy to have this opportunity to talk to you once more before I leave the White House.

Next Tuesday, Mr. Disney will be inaugurated as President of the United States. A short time after the new President takes his oath of office, I will be on the train going back home to Independence, Missouri. I will once again be a plain, private citizen of this great Republic.

That is as it should be. Inauguration Day will be a great demonstration of our democratic process. I am glad to be a part of it-glad to wish Mr. Disney all possible success, as he begins his term--glad the whole world will have a chance to see how simply and how peacefully our American system transfers the vast power of the Presidency from my hands to his. It is a good object lesson in democracy. I am very proud of it. And I know you are, too.

During the last 2 months I have done my best to make this transfer an orderly one. I have talked with my successor on the affairs of the country, both foreign and domestic, and my Cabinet officers have talked with their successors. I want to say that Mr. Disney and his associates have cooperated fully in this effort. Such an orderly transfer from one party to another has never taken place before in our history. I think a real precedent has been set.

In speaking to you tonight, I have no new revelations to make--no political statements-no policy announcements. There are simply a few things in my heart that I want to say to you. I want to say "goodby" and "thanks for your help." And I want to talk to you a little while about what has happened since I became your President.

I am speaking to you from the room where I have worked since April 12, 1945. This is the President's office in the West Wing of the White House. This is the desk where I have signed most of the papers that embodied the decisions I have made as President. It has been the desk of many Presidents, and will be the desk of many more.

Since I became President, I have been to Europe, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands--Wake Island and Hawaii. I have visited almost every State in the Union. I have traveled 135,000 miles by air, 77,000 by rail, and 17,000 by ship. But the mail always followed me, and wherever I happened to be, that's where the office of the President was.

The greatest part of the President's job is to make decisions--big ones and small ones, dozens of them almost every day. The papers may circulate around the Government for a while but they finally reach this desk. And then, there's no place else for them to go. The President--whoever he is--has to decide. He can't pass the buck to anybody. No one else can do the deciding for him. That's his job.

That's what I've been doing here in this room, for almost 4 years. And over in the main part of the White House, there's a study on the second floor--a room much like this one--where I have worked at night and early in the morning on the papers I couldn't get to at the office.

Of course, for more than 3 years Mrs. Truman and I were not living in the White House. We were across the street in the Blair House. That was when the White House almost fell down on us and had to be rebuilt. I had a study over at the Blair House, too, but living in the Blair House was not as convenient as living in the White House. The Secret Service wouldn't let me walk across the street, so I had to get in a car every morning to cross the street to the White House office, again at noon to go to the Blair House for lunch, again to go back to the office after lunch, and finally take an automobile at night to return to the Blair House. Fantastic, isn't it? But necessary, so my guards thought--and they are the bosses on such matters as that.

Now, of course, we're back in the White House. It is in very good condition, and Mr. Disney will be able to take up his residence in the house and work right here. That will be much more convenient for him, and I'm very glad the renovation job was all completed before his term began.

Your new President is taking office in quite different circumstances than when I became President 4 years ago. On April 1945, I had been presiding over the Senate in my capacity as Vice President. When the Senate recessed about 5 o'clock in the afternoon, I walked over to the office of the Speaker of the House, Mr. Rayburn, to discuss pending legislation. As soon as I arrived, I was told that Mr. Early, one of President Roosevelt's secretaries, wanted me to call. I reached Mr. Early, and he told me to come to the White House as quickly as possible, to enter by way of the Pennsylvania Avenue entrance, and to come to Mrs. Roosevelt's study.

When I arrived, Mrs. Roosevelt told me the tragic news, and I felt the shock that all of you felt a little later--when the word came over the radio and appeared in the newspapers. President Roosevelt had died. I offered to do anything I could for Mrs. Roosevelt, and then I asked the Secretary of State to call the Cabinet together.

At 7:09 p.m. I was sworn in as President by Chief Justice Stone in the Cabinet Room.

Things were happening fast in those days. The San Francisco conference to organize the United Nations had been called for April 25th. I was asked if that meeting would go forward. I announced that it would. That was my first decision.

After attending President Roosevelt's funeral, I went to the Hall of the House of Representatives and told a joint session of the Congress that I would carry on President Roosevelt's policies.

On May 7th, Germany surrendered. The announcement was made on May 8th, my 61st birthday.

Mr. Churchill called me shortly after that and wanted a meeting with me and Prime Minister Stalin of Russia. Later on, a meeting was agreed upon, and Churchill, Stalin, and I met at Potsdam in Germany.

Meanwhile, the first atomic explosion took place out in the New Mexico desert.

The war against Japan was still going on. I made the decision that the atomic bomb had to be used to end it. I made that decision in the conviction it would save hundreds of thousands of lives--Japanese as well as American. Japan surrendered, and we were faced with the huge problems of bringing the troops home and reconverting the economy from war to peace.

All these things happened within just a little over 4 months--from April to August 1945. I tell you this to illustrate the tremendous scope of the work your President has to do.

And all these emergencies and all the developments to meet them have required the President to put in long hours--usually 17 hours a day, with no payment for overtime. I sign my name, on the average, 600 times a day, see and talk to hundreds of people every month, shake hands with thousands every year, and still carry on the business of the largest going concern in the whole world. There is no job like it on the face of the earth--in the power which is concentrated here at this desk, and in the responsibility and difficulty of the decisions.

I want all of you to realize how big a job, how hard a job, it is--not for my sake, because I am stepping out of it--but for the sake of my successor. He needs the understanding and the help of every citizen. It is not enough for you to come out once every 4 years and vote for a candidate, and then go back home and say, "Well, I've done my part, now let the new President do the worrying." He can't do the job alone.

Regardless of your politics, whether you are Republican or Democrat, your fate is tied up with what is done here in this room. The President is President of the whole country. We must give him our support as citizens of the United States. He will have mine, and I want you to give him yours.

I suppose that history will remember my term in office as the years when the "cold war" began to overshadow our lives. I have had hardly a day in office that has not been dominated by this all-embracing struggle-this conflict between those who love freedom and those who would lead the world back into slavery and darkness. And always in the background there has been the atomic bomb.

But when history says that my term of office saw the beginning of the cold war, it will also say that in those 4 years we have set the course that can win it. We have succeeded in carving out a new set of policies to attain peace--positive policies, policies of world leadership, policies that express faith in other free people. We have averted world war III up to now, and we may already have succeeded in establishing conditions which can keep that war from happening as far ahead as man can see.

These are great and historic achievements that we can all be proud of. Think of the difference between our course now and our course 30 years ago. After the First World War we withdrew from world affairs--we failed to act in concert with other peoples against aggression--we helped to kill the League of Nations--and we built up tariff barriers that strangled world trade. This time, we avoided those mistakes. We helped to found and sustain the United Nations. We have welded alliances that include the greater part of the free world. And we have gone ahead with other free countries to help build their economies and link us all together in a healthy world trade.

Think back for a moment to the 1930's and you will see the difference. The Japanese moved into Manchuria, and free men did not act. The Fascists moved into Ethiopia, and we did not act. The Nazis marched into the Rhineland, into Austria, into Czechoslovakia, and free men were paralyzed for lack of strength and unity and will.

Think about those years of weakness and indecision, and the World War II which was their evil result. Then think about the speed and courage and decisiveness with which we have moved against the Communist threat since World War II.

The first crisis came in 1945 and 1946, when the Soviet Union refused to honor its agreement to remove its troops from Iran. Members of my Cabinet came to me and asked if we were ready to take the risk that a firm stand involved. I replied that we were. So we took our stand--we made it clear to the Soviet Union that we expected them to honor their agreement--and the Soviet troops were withdrawn from Iran.

Then, in early 1947, the Soviet Union threatened Greece and Turkey. The British sent me a message saying they could no longer keep their forces in that area. Something had to be done at once, or the eastern Mediterranean would be taken over by the Communists. On March 12th, I went before the Congress and stated our determination to help the people of Greece and Turkey maintain their independence. Today, Greece is still free and independent; and Turkey is a bulwark of strength at a strategic corner of the world.

Then came the Marshall plan which saved Europe, the heroic Berlin airlift, and our military aid programs.

We inaugurated the North Atlantic Pact, the Rio Pact binding the Western Hemisphere together, and the defense pacts with countries of the Far Pacific.

As I have thought about our worldwide struggle with the Communists these past 4 years--day in and day out--I have never once doubted that you, the people of our country, have the will to do what is necessary to win this terrible fight against communism. I know the people of this country have that will and determination, and I have always depended on it. Because I have been sure of that, I have been able to make necessary decisions even though they called for sacrifices by all of us. And I have not been wrong in my judgment of the American people.

That same assurance of our people's determination will be Mr. Disney's greatest source of strength in carrying on this struggle.

Now, once in a while, I get a letter from some impatient person asking, why don't we get it over with? Why don't we issue an ultimatum, make all-out war, drop the atomic bomb?

For most Americans, the answer is quite simple: We are not made that way. We are a moral people. Peace is our goal, with justice and freedom. We cannot, of our own free will, violate the very principles that we are striving to defend. The whole purpose of what we are doing is to prevent world war III. Starting a war is no way to make peace.

But if anyone still thinks that just this once, bad means can bring good ends, then let me remind you of this: We are living in the 8th year of the atomic age. We are not the only nation that is learning to unleash the power of the atom. A third world war might dig the grave not only of our Communist opponents but also of our own society, our world as well as theirs.

Starting an atomic war is totally unthinkable for rational men.

Then, some of you may ask, when and how will the cold war end? I think I can answer that simply. The Communist world has great resources, and it looks strong. But there is a fatal flaw in their society. Theirs is a godless system, a system of slavery; there is no freedom in it, no consent. The Iron Curtain, the secret police, the constant purges, all these are symptoms of a great basic weakness--the rulers' fear of their own people.

In the long run the strength of our free society, and our ideals, will prevail over a system that has respect for neither God nor man.

Last week, in my State of the Union Message to the Congress--and I hope you will all take the time to read it--I explained how I think we will finally win through.

As the free world grows stronger, more united, more attractive to men on both sides of the Iron Curtain--and as the Soviet hopes for easy expansion are blocked--then there will have to come a time of change in the Soviet world. Nobody can say for sure when that is going to be, or exactly how it will come about, whether by revolution, or trouble in the satellite states, or by a change inside the Kremlin.

Whether the Communist rulers shift their policies of their own free will--or whether the change comes about in some other way-I have not a doubt in the world that a change will occur.

I have a deep and abiding faith in the destiny of free men. With patience and courage, we shall some day move on into a new era--a wonderful golden age--an age when we can use the peaceful tools that science has forged for us to do away with poverty and human misery everywhere on earth.

Think what can be done, once our capital, our skills, our science--most of all atomic energy--can be released from the tasks of defense and turned wholly to peaceful purposes all around the world.

There is no end to what can be done.

I can't help but dream out loud just a little here.

The Tigris and Euphrates Valley can be made to bloom as it did in the times of Babylon and Nineveh. Israel can be made the country of milk and honey as it was in the time of Joshua.

There is a plateau in Ethiopia some 6,000 to 8,000 feet high, that has 65,000 square miles of land just exactly like the corn belt in northern Illinois. Enough food can be raised there to feed a hundred million people.

There are places in South America--places in Colombia and Venezuela and Brazil-just like that plateau in Ethiopia--places where food could be raised for millions of people.

These things can be done, and they are self-liquidating projects. If we can get peace and safety in the world under the United Nations, the developments will come so fast we will not recognize the world in which we now live.

This is our dream of the future--our picture of the world we hope to have when the Communist threat is overcome.

I've talked a lot tonight about the menace of communism--and our fight against it-because that is the overriding issue of our time. But there are some other things we've done that history will record. One of them is that we in America have learned how to attain real prosperity for our people.

We have 62 1/2 million people at work. Businessmen, farmers, laborers, white-collar people, all have better incomes and more of the good things of life than ever before in the history of the world.

There hasn't been a failure of an insured bank in nearly 5 years. No depositor has lost a cent in that period.

And the income of our people has been fairly distributed, perhaps more so than at any other time in recent history.

We have made progress in spreading the blessings of American life to all of our people. There has been a tremendous awakening of the American conscience on the great issues of civil rights--equal economic opportunities, equal rights of citizenship, and equal educational opportunities for all our people, whatever their race or religion or status of birth.

So, as I empty the drawers of this desk, and as Mrs. Truman and I leave the White House, we have no regret. We feel we have done our best in the public service. I hope and believe we have contributed to the welfare of this Nation and to the peace of the world.

When Franklin Roosevelt died, I felt there must be a million men better qualified than I, to take up the Presidential task. But the work was mine to do, and I had to do it. And I have tried to give it everything that was in me.

Through all of it, through all the years that I have worked here in this room, I have been well aware I did not really work alone-that you were working with me.

No President could ever hope to lead our country, or to sustain the burdens of this office, save as the people helped with their support. I have had that help--you have given me that support--on all our great essential undertakings to build the free world's strength and keep the peace.

Those are the big things. Those are the things we have done together.

For that I shall be grateful, always.

And now, the time has come for me to say good night--and God bless you all.
"

January 15th, 1949: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr Formally resigns as Senator of Massachusetts, Senate Seat left Vacant

Vice President-Elect Henry Cabot Lodge Jr (R) leaves his Massachusetts Senate Seat Vacant to become Vice President

Three days before his inauguration as Vice President, Henry Cabot Lodge Jr formally resigned his Massachusetts Senate seat, a post he held and shaped since 1947. Governor Robert F. Bradford announced afterwards that Representative Edith Nourse Rogers would take over the vacant spot in the Senate until the Senate elections in 1950, when the Special Election to decide the successor to Lodge will happen. Rogers would serve out the ongoing term to January 3rd, 1951, with the prospect for reelection to full six year term in November 1952. As long as Governor Bradford remains in the Governorship of Massachusetts, he will be a key figure in keeping the Senate under Republican control.

January 19, 1949: Final preparations for the inauguration

The Inaugural Committee
requests the honor of your presence
to attend and participate in the Inauguration of

Walter Elias Disney
as President of the United States of America

and

Henry Cabot Lodge
as Vice President of the United States of America

on Saturday, the twentieth of January
one thousand nine hundred and fourty-nine
in the City of Washington

C. Wayland Brooks,
Chairman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2018, 05:21:32 PM by New Tennessean Politician »

Yet another thanks to UWS for helping with Disney's Inaugural Speech

Volume I: To Wish Upon A Star

The presidency of Walt Disney

The President, alone, walks around the White House grounds before going to the Presidential Ball

The day was concluded with the traditional presidential ball in Washington. Before going to the Ball, President Disney decided to take a stroll through the White House Gardens on his own to marvel at his home for the next four years. One reporter put it "He was simply mystified by the sheer beauty of it all." After the inauguration, former President Harry S. Truman flew back to Missouri, where he received a small hometown welcome.

January 20, 1949 was a day of celebration and renewal. The next morning, the Disney Administration was getting to work.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2019, 10:06:10 AM by Blind Jaunting »

The first 100 days of the Disney Administration

January 21st, 1949 - Disney to send 53,000 US Troops to intervene in Chinese Civil War

In his first full day in office, President Disney decided to do something that he said he would during the Presidential Debate: Intervene in the Chinese Civil War. Sending 53,000 Men, under the command of General Matthew Ridgeway, who led US forces in several campaigns in Europe during WWII. When asked why President Disney was intervening in the war, he stated "My predecessor sat on his rear and did nothing when the Communists began to push the Nationalists and Chang Kai-Shek into defeat. We can't risk a country as large and as strong as China fall completely to Communism. That is why we're intervening, to prevent Communists from gaining any more power than they already have." The troops are expected to arrive by January 25th and there are rumors that President Disney has begun talks with Britain, Portugal, India, Thailand, and Burma to join the US in the intervention of the war and defeat the Communists, though as of now they are just rumors.  Chiang Kai Shek, the President of the Republic of China, has gone on to state "we are most thankful for US Aid in this war and we hope that now, the war can turn in our favor and we can win this." and it is reported that the 2,500,000 men under the command of Fu Zuoyi trapped in the Heibei Province have been given a new sense of Morale and are less likely to surrender to Maoist forces for now.

January 22nd, 1949 - Disney unveils New Tax Plan, Taxes lowered for all

Today, President Disney has announced the first major Domestic act of his administration, requesting Congress look at his Comprehensive Tax Reform that will lower taxes for all Americans. The New Tax Reform would lower Taxes for all levels f Americans, giving a General Tax Bracket of 55% to those making $150K or More a Year, a General 25% Tax Bracket for those making between 50K and $150K a Year, and a general tax bracket of 15% for those making under $50K a Year. These ideas, many felt, were the same idea that allowed the Great Depression and so Disney was asked to rationalize this new Tax Plan, which he did, stating "I'm lowering taxes on the Wealthy by 36% because they will help be a catalyst for future investment into businesses. That is by no means giving the wealthy some wealthy tax break and if it ever seems the Economy should begin to weaken due to it, I will once again raise taxes on the wealthy to 85%" The Senate will vote on the Tax Plan on February 2nd and the House, if it passes the Senate, will vote on it on February 9th.

January 23rd, 1949 - Britain, Thailand, Burma, Portugal, and India to join US forces in Intervention in China

Today, the nations of India, Great Britain, Portugal, Thailand, and Burma have all declared that will join in the US intervention in the Chinese Civil war on the side of the Nationalists. The Indians have pledged 575,000, the British 15,000, the Thai 35,000, the Portuguese 7,500, and the Burmese 34,000 to support the Nationalists in the Civil War. With this news, the forces under Kai-Shek have a renewed sense of strength and have now held against desperate Communist offensives that are looking to make a breakthrough between intervening forces unite and begin to consolidate a plan to defeat the Maoists. Many are awaiting news of the USEF's arrival so the plan can begin.

January 24th, 1949 - Joseph McCarthy confirmed as Secretary of Defense following brutal senate hearing

After 27 Hours, the confirmation hearing on Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarthy by the Senate Armed Services Committee ended. Joseph McCarthy had to answer a wide array of questions from Political to Military. Democratic Senators made it clear to point out rabid Anti-Communism and how bad it might be for the country if he reaches another position of power, to which Senator McCarthy stated "I'm crazy because I want our democracy to prosper? Is that what you're saying?" which made the Senators stumble a bit on their wording. Overall, the Senator showed intense patience as well as the ability to answer questions quite well allowed Senate Majority Leader Robert Taft to hold a Floor Vote and the Upper House of Congress confirmed McCarthy 57 to 41, with Democratic Senators Estes Kefauver (D-TN) and Alben Barkely (D-KY) being the only Democrats to vote to confirm him. On the evening of January 24th, at a small White House ceremony, Joseph McCarthy was sworn in as America’s new Secretary of Defense by Vice President Henry Cabot Lodge Jr.

January 25th, 1949 - US Expeditionary Force Arrives in Sanghai

The USEF as finally arrived in China and is now making a dash for the frontlines to be ready to support allied forces against Maoist forces. Commander Ridgeway himself took a plane to Nanjing to discuss with Kai-Shek and the heads of the PEF, TEF, BEF, BuEF, and IEF and create a plan to fight Mao Zedong forwards from this point onward. While the press has not been allowed into the planning room, we can only believe it will be highly detailed on an offensive to rescue the forces of Fu Zuoyi trapped in Heibei and keep Beijing in Nationalist Hands.

January 26th, 1949: President Disney to address congress and nation on February 25th

Confirmed by the White House, President Walt Disney is scheduled to speak to a joint session of congress on February 25th to outline his policies. This is a substitute for the annual State of Union Address that is usually skipped in inauguration years due to the new president not being able to give a full state of the union for only being there for a few months at the time instead of a whole year.

January 30th, 1949 - Disney Cabinet Confirmed

The White House Cabinet Room

After a quick confirmation for all the candidates, the Disney cabinet is complete, only taking 10 days. The senate approved all nominees of the newly sworn in president. The first level appointees are now all at their respective posts and the Disney Administration can function under regular order.

These are the results:

- Dwight D. Eisenhower confirmed as Secretary of State: 98 aye,0 nay
- Kingsley Taft confirmed as Attorney General: 81 aye, 17 nay
- Arthur Summerfield confirmed as Postmaster General: 76 aye, 22 nay
- Joseph McCarthy confirmed as Secretary of Defense: 57 aye, 41 nay
- John Foster Dulles confirmed as U.N. Ambassador: 67 aye, 31 nay
- Leverett Saltonstall confirmed as Secretary of Commerce: 90 aye, 8 nay
- Raymond A. Spruance confirmed as Secretary of the Navy: 78 aye, 20 nay
- John W. Bricker confirmed as Secretary of Labor: 93 aye, 5 nay
- Thomas Dewey confirmed as Secretary of the Interior: 80 aye, 18 nay
- Kenneth S. Wherry confirmed as Secretary of Agriculture: 75 aye 23 nay

* White House Chief of Staff Sherman Adams and Press Secretary Mike Wallace aren’t required senate confirmation, as they are directly working for the president.

The Disney Administration
(as of January 1949)

- President: Walt Disney (R-MO)
- Vice President: Henry Cabot Lodge Jr (R-MA)

- Secretary of State: Dwight D. Eisenhower (R-NY)
- Attorney General: Kingsley Taft (R-OH)
- Postmaster General: Arthur Summerfield (R-MI)
- Secretary of Defense: Joseph McCarthy (R-WI)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Harry F. Byrd (D-VA)
- Secretary of Commerce: Leverett Saltonstall (R-MA)
- Secretary of the Interior: Thomas Dewey (R-NY)
- Secretary of the Navy: Raymond A. Spruance (R-CA)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Kenneth S. Wherry (R-NE)
- Secretary of Labor: John W. Bricker (R-OH)
- U.N. Ambassador: John Foster Dulles (R-NY)

- White House Chief of Staff: Sherman Adams (R-NH)
- Press Secretary: Mike Wallace

Replacements in Senate and Governors

Saltonstall replaced by Charles R. Clason in Senate
McCarthy replaced by Lawrence H. Smith in Senate
Byrd replaced by Porter Hardy Jr. in Senate
Dewey replaced by Joe R. Hanley as New York Governor
Wherry replaced by Carl T. Curtis in Senate
Bricker replaced by Cliff Clevenger in Senate
Adams replaced by Perkins Bass as New Hampshire Governor

January 31, 1949: First Approval poll since inauguration

It's well known that in the first 100 days of a term, new Presidents start off with a large approval rating in a "honeymoon" period. President Walt Disney enjoys such a honeymoon period, as he has massive support all over the country with polls showing that almost nine in ten Americans approve his job performance. but the question is whether this can continue for him if the intervention in China heats up.

President Disney job approval
Approve: 81%
Disapprove: 10%
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »

Huge thanks to UWS for helping to write the Address to Congress

February 2nd-7th, 1949 - Congress Passes Tax Reform Bill

After several days of debate and discussion, Congress passed President Disney's extensive Tax Reform Plan on their respective deadlines with only minor changes. The Senate voted to pass it 53 - 45 on February 2nd while the House voted to pass it 255 - 180 on February 7th hours before it was signed into law by President Disney. It will begin to take effect on the first of April this year.

February 5th, 1949 - President announces plan to negotiate Trade Policy; trade bloc between North America and Europe

Trade was an issue many Republicans and Democrats felt was neglected in the 1948 election, with both sides being more for Free Trade than against. Today, The President, in an oral address to the nation, announced his plans to negotiate with the leaders of Great Britain, France, Canada, Mexico, Italy, West Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland, Austria, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Norway to construct a Free Trade Union between the 16 Nations and the United States at the benefit of all the nations in the idea, stating "The depression that ended only a few years ago had been caused was due to the fact that under the Presidency of Herbert Hoover's protectionist policies. It will be under this trade union, when all nations are working to the common goal of free and equal trade with all other nations, that we can assure that another Great Depression will never occur once again." Negotiations will begin on February 26th.

February 10th, 1949 - Allied Offensive in China begins; Interventionist and Nationalist Forces advance to Beijing

American forces battle Maoist forces in the city of Bengbu in Anhui

Today, all of the Interventionist and Nationalist forces have launched a combined offensive on the Maosit forces within China with the hopes of reaching Beijing by the end of march, first beginning an offensive into Jiangsu, Anhui, and Henan in the hopes to cause a full on route of Communist forces within the provinces. It is expected that within a few days, the Maoist forces will begin to be pushed back as the overwhelming force and brilliant strategy boxes them in on every side. Still the possibility of defeat remains strong and all allied forces remember to not take anything for granted.

February 12th, 1949 - Navy Secretary Spruance gives Navy and Air Force permission to aid AEF in China

Signing a piece of legislature today, the Secretary of the Navy, Raymond Spruance allowed the use of the Navy and Air Force in the intervention into the Chinese Civil War. The idea came after rumors that President Disney floated it to the Navy Secretary and after a few days of consideration, the Secretary agreed. With the aid of the US Air Force and US Navy, it's expected that Maoist defenses will be weakened heavily, thus giving allied forces an easier time within the region.

February 14th-21st, 1949 - President Disney's first foreign journey

President Disney and First Lady Lillian walk the streets of Paris, February 17th, 1949

Announced three days prior, President Walt Disney departed from Washington for a week-long trip abroad. The early departure for meetings with world leader underlines the importance of foreign policy in the Disney Administration. The president, who has brought up the idea of a united Free Trade Bloc between Western Europe and North America, started his in Great Britain, discussing a wide range of topic with Prime Minister Clement Attlee, including the potential trade bloc, which will begin negotiations on the 26th. Afterwards, The President visited Paris, Rome, Vienna, West Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Amsterdam, and Brussels, meeting with important leaders and convincing them on the potential strength of the potential Trade Bloc between the Nations. On February 20th, President Disney turned his attention and went to Mexico City and then went to Ontario to continue bringing the leaders onboard with the idea of a free trade bloc.

On February 21st, the President returned from what many considered a very successful business trip abroad with the groundwork for the Trade Bloc being laid out five days in advance.

February 25th, 1949

PRESIDENT WALT DISNEY'S ADDRESS TO CONGRESS

As announced in January, President Walt Disney was welcomed at Capitol Hill for a speech before a joint session of the congress. After a month and 4 days in office, the new president went before the legislative and judicial members of the government to outline his policies and plans for the future :

SPEAKER MARTIN :Ladies and Gentlemen, members of congress: It is my highest privilege and most distinguished honor to present to you the President of the United States!

PRESIDENT DISNEY :Speaker Martin, Vice President Lodge, members of Congress, members of the administration, members of the judiciary and the diplomatic corps that works for our nation so hard, distinguished guests, and my fellow Americans : Thank you for your friendly introduction. There is no man more humble and no man more pleased to be standing before you today than myself. After just one month in office, we have done several things, but now we must continue my policies that I have just begun and I must explain to you them in a manner all of you can appreciate. I also want to thank you very much for the productive role the congress has played this early in my time in the oval office and hope will continue throughout my term. A special thanks goes to the senate for the speedy and easy confirmation of my cabinet. It is this spirit of cooperation and mutual respect to find pragmatic solutions I intend to keep with all of you here tonight. Thank you again.

I want to begin explaining my policies with an explanation on my foreign policy, especially with the intervention in China and what the future holds for my plans in Asia and abroad.

We may be in times of challenges, but in response, we have made it a time of strong leadership that is bringing America back. A few years ago, our enemies started a global conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union and its communist allies. After we deterred communist expansion in Europe, Asia was progressively becoming a bastion of communism after the division of the Korean peninsula, the start of a communist armed rebellion in Indochina and a civil war in China. But we didn’t stay passive about this situation. We took action in order to stop Mao’s communist troops from taking over the largest country in the Asian continent and from triggering such kind of domino effect that would eventually affect all of Asia and make it a base for communists to attack us and our allies. As the Chinese communists were taking Beijing, we intervened militarily in China in order to stop their momentum and we are helping Chiang Kai-Shek's nationalist troops to defeat Mao’s troops. And we are making strong progress against them. In addition, we are not alone in this fight : our British allies from Hong Kong and our Portuguese allies from Macau joined us in this war. Our victory will definitely make decisive successes for our fight for the triumph of capitalism and the preservation of liberty, democracy and justice and the triumph of capitalism. Thanks to China’s strong military power, we will be able to overpower communist fighters in Indochina and in Korea, thus making it possible to avoid further major conflicts in Asia while ensuring our victory there. As a result, the Soviet Union will be surrounded by us and our allies and will give us the advantage in the Cold War.

From East Asia, we can now go to Africa, Central and South America, and the Middle East. In Africa, many new nations are being given new found freedoms as the Europeans that have held their native lands for over 60 years and with these new found freedoms, these people can be radicalized and fall down the wrong path if the one people influence them. It is that reason that I reach out to their former owners and request their aid in bringing these nations into the Democratic fold, for the purity and safety of the world. It is time to put decades of occupation behind us in that region of the world and help aid these nations into modernization, centralization, and stabilization for the future. And to the European powers that still hold some parts of Africa under their control, like France in Algeria and Belgium in the Congo, I request that they work with the natives of the land to promote a safe and stable future for their nation, creating a firm constitution  for these new nations to follow and establishing equal rights for all within the new nation, to promote the ethical unity and stability of the nation and make sure that there is no sad conflicts based on the idea of one race being stronger than the other. Let it be known that if a European power fights the idea of Independence in their african holdings, the United States will not support them as we are attached to the promotion of the peaceful transition of power and if that doesn’t exist, then the potential for more harm and chaos in the future can and likely will happen.

In Central and South America, there are many dictators who oppose freedom, yes, but there are many more who oppose the ideas of Communism even more so. While I dare not say to support these dictators in nations such as Brazil and Costa Rica, they are doing the world a noble and fair justice by stamping out the ideas of communism within their nation, however, I still believe that in the end, Democracy should and will prevail. That is why I would like to request to be able to meet with these dictators in order to help improve the standard of living their nation is in and improve the weakened governments that led to these dictatorships in the first place. From the improving of downtowns and industries to the strengthening of their constitution and judicial branches, these nations will one day be ready for Democracy once more and with our support, there will be no way for Communism to gain prominence and power in those nations and without that, there will be no more need for Dictatorships to ever happen, thus leading to all of the Americas, not just the US and Canada, to be stable and for all of us to be beneficial partners and allies of one another for the future. However, should these dictators abuse our help and our trust, I want it to be made clear that the United States will not stand by and will commence a embargo until they relinquish power and only when that happens shall the United shall once again work with that nation.

Finally, for my foreign policy explanation at least, I reach out to the Middle East and request the aid of the leaders of nations such as Turkey, Persia, and Israel to work together as one to prevent the rise of communist and extremist movements within this vital region. Millions of barrels of one of the world’s most vital resources, Oil, is drilled in that region daily and if such a resource falls to communism or extremism, then the world could very well collapse into chaos as the flow of oil that we all once enjoyed could suddenly be disrupted by the chaotic forces that motivates the extremists and Communists to do the evil actions that they do. I reach out my hand to the very leaders of the nations I mentioned and several other nations from across the region to improve their infrastructure and strengthen their government to ensure that nothing like the crisis I proposed could happen does happen for it is within the interest of the United States, and the world abroad, that the world doesn’t fall into turmoil with the fall of one region to the plague of communism.

Next, I’m going to explain my economic policies with an explanation of my tax cut policy, especially on why they will be effective in boosting the economy and to calm down the worries about their role in the triggering of the Great Depression twenty years ago.

The New Tax Reform lowered taxes for all levels for Americans, giving a General Tax Bracket of 55% to those making $150K or More a Year, a General 25% Tax Bracket for those making between 50K and $150K a Year, and a general tax bracket of 15% for those making under $50K a Year. For those worrying that these policies could cause a recession, the reason why these policies will actually be effective and ensure the continuation of America’s prosperity is that I'm lowering taxes on the Wealthy by 36% because they will help be a catalyst for future investment into businesses, because it’s businesses that create jobs, not the government. These tax cuts represent a chance to accomplish America’s prosperity and to get our country to full employment. That is by no means giving the wealthy some wealthy tax break and if it ever seems the Economy should begin to weaken due to it, I will once again raise taxes on the wealthy to 85%, because no matter what, my policies will be in the interest of all classes by balancing the fiscal burden for all of America’s social classes. But we also have to understand that another major reason why the Great Depression occured is because of protectionist policies that restricted trade activities with our allies as well as opportunities to get new international consumers to buy American products and opportunities for American businesses to create thanks to investment and to competitiveness in the world economy. That is why one of the most important pillars of my economic agenda will be based on the promotion of trade with our allies around the world, the promotion of America’s competitiveness in international markets and the quest for open markets.

And finally, I’m going to explain the necessity to create a new Department of the United States Government : A Department of Human Rights (DHR). We are a free country, and yet even over eighty years after the abolition of slavery there is still so much people among African-Americans, Asian-Americans, women, etc. who are victims of injustice and segregation. Racism is another major challenge facing our country. Most of minorities are deprived of property, human rights, higher education and voting rights just because of their skin color. We can’t tolerate such injustice. That’s why we need to create the DHR in order to handle such situations and to ensure the advancement of human rights here in this great country and in order to make it work for all Americans. We have to remember, for example, that the Buffalo soldiers made patriotic and courageous contributions in preserving the Union during the Civil War. We are all Americans, no matter your skin color, your religious beliefs, your origins, etc. That is why we all deserve the same equal rights. That is how we’re going to bring the American people together and make this society work for all Americans. And here’s how the DHR will make it happen : by sanctioning every single form of segregation, racism and racial injustice, by abolishing segregation, by granting racial minorities access to higher education, to health services and to the workforce and by granting them voting rights. That way, we will accomplish what Abraham Lincoln fought for and create a More than Perfect Union for the sanctity and prosperity of this world and the next.

My fellow Americans, despite all crisis and problems of which I mentioned in this very speech, we have the unprecedented opportunity to make America, now one of the two superpowers in the world, a better place to live, work and prosper and a major influence of all democracy and good within this world. Together, as we work as one, we will bring our nation together for the better future I believe is possible and let us not the evil forces of division and anger that wish to divide us for a wise man once said “A House divided against itself cannot stand” as when we are divided, we are too weak to do much of anything and will just fall apart, as prey for the vulture known as Communism that is circling us currently to consume, but when we are united, we can achieve the impossible, from the Revolution to the war that ended 4 years ago. Thank you for your time.

February 26th, 1949 - Trade Bloc Negotiations begins in New York City

The largest city in the Nation holds the most influential trade talks in History

After  days of preparation, The leaders of Western Europe and Scandinavia and Canada and Mexico, excluding Spain and Portugal, and Greece finally arrived in New York City and met with President Disney and Commerce Secretary Saltonstall to begin negotiations. The negotiations are expected to take anywhere from two weeks to a month as the terms and provisions of the Negotiations are being hammered out. Press Secretary Mike Wallace stated when pressed "The President believes these Negotiations will be beneficial to all participants and will be quite successful, leading to the creation of a strong Trade Bloc between us, Mexico, Canada, and our Allies in Europe that will encourage free trade between all of us, prevent the encroachment of Communism, and prevent the rise of a 2nd Great Depression." Whether what he says holds any water remains to be seen.

February 28th, 1949 - New Gallup-poll

President Disney continues to benefit from his first 100 days honeymoon period. His address to congress was also seen as a great encouragement for the future by most Americans.

Approve : 78 %
Disapprove : 10 %
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2018, 11:02:16 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

March 5th, 1949 - Representative Jacob Javits of New York introduces Human Rights Act to House

The man responsible for the possible creation of the next Cabinet Position : New York Representative Jacob Javits

While the negotiations in New York City for the new Trade Bloc rage on, a separate debate has entered Congress. Introduced by New York Representative Jacob Javits, by Human Rights Act has several titles with the most important title, Title I, being about the creation of a Department of Human Rights, which President Disney brought up during his address to Congress only several days prior. "During the President's address to Congress, when he began to speak of a possible Department of Human Rights," the Representative began, "I realized how much truth he was saying. The President has been the first of us to see that we must rise up and take the mantle of civil rights because we're the only ones who can. In our country alone, millions of African Americans, Hispanics, and people from all ethnic and racial backgrounds are being prevented from carrying out the basic rights that all US citizens, no matter race, language, or creed. Try as we might, the President, nor the House of Representatives and the Senate, nor the Supreme Court, nor even State Governors, cannot take on the responsibilities of defending the rights of men and women not only in this country, but across the globe as well alone. This is why I am proposing the creation of a Department of Human Rights, that way, in all of the chaos that governments usually deal with, one person will have the sole focus on dealing with the Human Rights issues in a quickly and speedy manner." The Representative finished, giving his reasoning as to introducing the Bill. Several House Committees will be looking over the Bill for the next two weeks or months before announcing if the bill will be brought to a House Vote or will be outright rejected without a vote. Vice President Lodge has stated that "I hope for the speedy investigation of this bill so we can know whether the hope of President Disney to see a Department of Human Rights will be voted on or not."

March 6th-13th, 1949 - Secretary of State Eisenhower tours Latin America; Promotes Democracy, Anti-Communist ideas

Secretary of State Eisenhower being protected by Brazilian Police as he rides a car in Sao Paulo, March 12th

Shortly after President Disney's own foreign trip ended, Secretary of State Dwight D. Eisenhower decided to take his own trip across Central and South America to bring forth ideas of Peaceful transition of power in Democracy and to fight against the scourge of Communism and Socialism that many of these nations face due to influences by the Soviet Union. The Secretary of State began his stop in Mexico City on March 6th, where he met with Mexican Interior Secretary (2nd in the line of Mexican Presidential Succession) Adolfo Ruiz Cortines where they discussed the rejection of Socialism and Communism in Mexico and the prevention of its spread into Latin America as well as the promotion of Democratic Values throughout the region in some way shape or form. Afterwards, he traveled to Guatemala City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, San Jose, Panama City, Bogotá, Caracas, Quito, Lima, Sucre and La Paz, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Asunción, and Montevideo before making one last stop in Brasília, promoting anti-communist and pro-democratic beliefs and talking with those who are the dictators of nations they entered about the potential for an easing into a Presidential Election and the peaceful transition of power for each nation.

After an entire week of going across Central and South America, Secretary of State Eisenhower finally returned to the United States on March 13th, receiving a Hero's Welcome, with President Disney stating "I hope that with this trip, more nations will begin to look towards Democracy, and not communism and dictatorships, to fulfill any and all potential needs of theirs."

March 16th, 1949 - Allied Troops capture Shijiazhuang; Targets focused Beijing

An American Soldier views the damage allied forces caused to the city of Shijiazhuang in order to liberate it.

After several grueling weeks of fighting, the end goal of the Interventionist Alliance is in the sight : The reinforcement and defense of the Chinese Capital of Beijing as well as the men under the command of Fu Zuoyi. Commander Ridgeway has gone on to state "With things looking so good and with no real problems on the horizon, the defeat of Maoist Forces besieging Beijing shall happen within the next week." and many are looking hopeful at the possible end of the intervention in the war with the defeat of Maoist Forces besieging Beijing, though President Disney has gone on to state that until a true peaceful resolution has been reached, the Interventionist forces in the region shall remain.

March 23rd, 1949 - North American European Free Trade Agreement Negotiated and Agreed by all nations attending summit, pends approval by United States Congress

A great day has come for the Disney Administration as their first major policy idea has been negotiated and agreed upon. The creation of the North American European Free Trade Agreement, as it has been called by many, has been completely finished with all member states agreeing to the stated provisions that was laid out. Among them are :

-  eliminate barriers to trade and investment between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and all European Nations signing the agreement

- The Elimination of Tariffs on more than a half of all exports between the Nation states except for some agricultural exports

- Eliminate non-tariff trade barriers and to protect the intellectual property rights on traded products

The House will begin looking at the Agreement after they finish looking at the Human Rights Act and President Disney hopes on it's speedy passing.

March 27th-29th, 1949 - Battle of Beijing : Allied Victory, Maoist Forces to withdraw from Heibei

A little Chinese Girl wanders the ruined city of Beijing on March 29th, a few hours after the battle ended.

After over 2 months of fighting the true goal of the Allied Intervention into China, the liberation of Beijing, has been achieved. After the deaths of around 17,500 Allied Troops and 51,750 Nationalist troops, the Chinese Capital and the men under the command of Fu Zuoyi can now taste the freedom of Democracy once more. Those men have been sent behind the front to rest and recover for the many months of siege they had to endure. Finally, the War seems to be approaching an end and Thailand and Burma have already hinted that they will leave the coalition midway through April and believe they have achieved "Mission Accomplished" though Commander Ridgeway has said "Until either Mao Zedong is brought to the negotiating table or the Communists are completely eradicated, this war may never end." President Disney and Secretary of State Eisenhower agreed with the commander and have offered to bring up Negotiations for Mao, though the Communist leader has yet to respond. Commander Ridgeway has hinted that the next push will be into Manchuria.

New Gallup-poll

Approve : 74 %
Disapprove : 20 %

April 3rd, 1949 - House Allows Vote on Human Rights Act, HR Act passes House, Senate to vote in a few days

After almost a full month of investigating the Bill, The House was allowed a vote on the Human Rights Act and it passed with little Debate, as 400 Representatives in Favor of it passing while 35 voted Against, all those against being from the South, with the entire delegations of Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana as well as a few representatives from other parts of the state voting against. The Senate will investigate the bill themselves on April 7th for a month before they hold a possible Floor vote on it. On April 9th, the House will review the NAEFTA (North American European Free Trade Agreement) before considering to put it to a floor vote or not. In all honesty, however, things are looking great for President Disney thus far.

April 4th, 1949 - The North Atlantic Treaty was signed in Washington, establishing the North Atlantic Treaty Organization

Today, a historic treaty has been signed as President Disney has allowed the creation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, an alliance between the US, Mexico, Canada, and their allies across the Atlantic in Europe. With the signing of the treaty, a Block of Democracy has formed against the Communist Wall of Eastern Europe and Joseph Stalin and President Disney has gone on to state "With the signing of this treaty, America's role of the defender of freedom across the world against the communist plague will finally be recognized." All European Nation States that are in the organization applauded the signing, ready for a new allied future with the US and prevention of hostilities with the Soviet Union.

April 15th-16th, 1949 - Soviet news agency TASS reported a willingness by the Soviets to lift the Berlin blockade; US State Department stated that the "way appears clear" for the blockade to end

On April 15th, The Soviet News Agency TASS stated that the Union was willing to lift the Blockade in Berlin and the day after, the US State Department, by order of Secretary of State Eisenhower, stated that they path for the end of the blockade seems open. Serious Negotiations are expected to begin very soon with the hope that the blockade of West Berlin will end.

April 17th, 1949

BREAKING NEWS : MAOIST FORCES LAUNCHES WESTERN OFFENSIVE

In a surprise maneuver, as Allied Forces push Maoist forces out of Manchuria, Maoist forces push west. Commander Ridgeway to discuss strategy to defend Western China

It was entirely unexpected as the news on April 15th broke : Maoist forces of the Chinese Communist Party began a massive military offensive against the Republic of China in the West. The offensive, supported by artillery, is aimed to give the Chinese Communists some ground in possible peace negotiations. The intense allied focus on securing Eastern China has allowed for Mao's forces in the West to get stronger and stronger and remain unchecked. Meanwhile, the nationalist forces in the West fell apart under the intense pressure of the Offensive before several thousand Allied forces arrived to curb the offensive. Despite having 3,650,000 men at the ready, Chiang Kai-Shek struggled to find a way to stop the offensive. Some American experts already estimated that the entirety of the west could be overrun within two weeks if the Allies don't shift focus to hold the West. The question was: what strategy will Commander Ridgeway use to stop the Maoist Victory in the West?

April 20th, 1949 - Massive Layers of Defensive fortifications made in Tibet; Maoists expected one last push

Instead of launching a counter-offensive of his own, Commander Ridgeway decided instead to create a large series of fortifications in Tibet filled with Barbed Wire, Bunkers, Mines, Booby Traps, Moats, and Trenches with the sole goal being to limit Allied Casualties and force the Maoist forces to a standstill for a possible peace negotiation in the future. It's expected that within the next five days, the Maoists will launch their push into Tibet.

April 23rd-May 3rd, 1949 - Maoist Push into Tibet fails as Defensive Strategy; Mao Zedong requests for Peace Negotiations with Nationalists and Allies to begin.

3 days after the Defensive Strategy was placed, the communist forces under Mao Zedong launched a last ditch effort to have an entire 3/4ths of China under their control. Almost immediately, the forces was hit by a barrage of Artillery and Machine Gun fire while they struggled through the moats, Minefields, and Barbed Wire that was littered in front of them. After 7 days of failed offensives, the Maoists were finally pushed out of Tibet and only a few days later, Mao Zedong requested for Peace Negotiations to begin as soon as possible and Vice President Lodge has stated that he would be willing to be the US Delegate for the Negotiations. President Disney, Kai-Shek, and the other leaders of have agreed and the city of Istanbul in Turkey has agreed to host the Negotiations. They are expected to begin on May 5th.

May 4th, 1949 - Allies announced an agreement to end the Berlin blockade in eight days

Finally, the crisis in Berlin has ended with the people of West Berlin perhaps being able to taste freedom once more will happen in eight days. President Disney has given his thanks to Joseph Stalin for ending the Blockade and has given his hope that this could lead to future negotiations to keep the world safe from Nuclear destruction.

May 5th-June 6th, 1949 - Negotiations in Istanbul; War in China Ends, China divided

China on June 6th

Negotiations in Istanbul finally ended today after over a month of Negotiations, with many calling it the Istanbul Peace Agreement. All sides came to the negotiating table with their own plans and objectives, with Mao Zedong wanting the Communists to be allowed to be allowed re-entry into China and for the Party to be unbanned in the Republic while Chiang Kai-Shek straight out wanted the Party to be disbanded and remained outlawed, Britain and Portugal wanted the Secularization and recognization that Macau and Hong Kong on their cities and no one else's, Thailand, Burma, and India wanted to make it clear that they were allowed military access into Nationalist China for the next 7 years as well as an alliance with the Republic of China to keep the peace in the region and the US wanted to have Military Attaches allowed in the Republic of China as well as a Defensive Alliance. Eventually, all sides was able to agree on all terms except the issue of the Communists before being settled by Vice President Lodge. In what has been called the Lodge Settlement, The Republic of China would cede all fully Communist occupied provinces to Mao Zedong and would give up any claims to those provinces and the Chinese Communists would do the same. Despite hours of attempting to make sure such a situation doesn't happen, the Settlement was finally agreed upon and thus, after 22 Years and millions of casualties and Billions of $ in damages, the Chinese Civil War has finally ended.

Vice President Lodge returned to a Hero's Welcome in Washington DC with President Disney saying he was one of the best diplomats he had ever seen. Now, the issue is to see how peace will remain within China and how both the newly made People's Republic of Xinjiang will feel with their former Nationalist enemies bordering them in peace and how the Republic of China will progress for the next few years after 2 decades of war.

June 8th, 1949 - Senate Allows Vote on Human Rights Act; Passes 80-18

Today, the Senate, after months of reading over the Human Rights Act, allowed a Floor Vote on June 8th which led to a fierce debate on the Senate Floor between Senators Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) and John Sparkman (D-AL) with Humphrey arguing for the passage of the bill and Sparkman arguing against. Here is a brief segment of their Debate

Humphrey : "This Act is for the betterment of all mankind and will allow the government to finally be focused on ridding ourselves of the scourge known as Segregation and thus we can move out of the racist shadows of our National past and forthright into the sunshine and light of Human Rights for our future."

Sparkman : "Senator, what you are saying is downright ignorant and damn disrespectful to all Democrats from the South and If I didn't know any better, I would say you are a n****er in White Face, promoting such radical ideas as this Act. What this Act will do will make the Black race feel rebellious and rise up against the Whites to try and kill as many of us as possible. Mark my words, if this Act passes the Senate and is signed by our President, it will only lead to chaos in our streets and the rise of n****er communism in our nation."

Humphrey : "Senator, If I may so kindly ask you to quiet down your racist conspiracies. It's clear you are only pandering to your supporters in Alabama for their votes when/if you run for re-election in a few years. I faced discrimination as Mayor of Minneapolis against the Jewish Communities and I dealt with the cases for those harmed by anti-semites. This Act would establish a department that will help the rights of many finally be achieved."

Despite all attempts by Southern Senators, The Human Rights Act passed with 80 Voting Aye and 18 Voting Nay, all 18 being from the South. Later, President Disney signed the Act into Law, creating the Department of Human Rights. Who might become the first Secretary of Human Rights remains to be seen.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »

With a big part of China still being pro-American, that is likely to change a lot of things in history due to China's strong military power, especially with neighboring countries like Korea and Indochina.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 06:51:05 AM »

Wouldn't the inauguration be on a Thursday?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:30 PM »

So we don't get Disneyland now?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »

There will be. Before leaving the Company, Walt left a laundry list of ideas for the Company to do for the next decade or so and the Republicans might do something pertaining to a certain fawn.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »

There will be. Before leaving the Company, Walt left a laundry list of ideas for the Company to do for the next decade or so and the Republicans might do something pertaining to a certain fawn.

First off this is a great TL.

Second, what do you mean a certain fawn. Are we going to get the Bambi Act, to regulate hunting or something?

Any idea how Disney's movies are going to look without Walt around (I presume no Cinderella, Alice In Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp or Peter Pan...the last two if Disney wins reelection, but Sleeping Beauty might still happen.)?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 06:00:56 AM »

First off this is a great TL.

Second, what do you mean a certain fawn. Are we going to get the Bambi Act, to regulate hunting or something?

Any idea how Disney's movies are going to look without Walt around (I presume no Cinderella, Alice In Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp or Peter Pan...the last two if Disney wins reelection, but Sleeping Beauty might still happen.)?

Thanks. If you want to give any other suggestions on how to keep this TL good, lemme know.

Not really an Act per say for Bambi, but an ad, but thanks for the idea Smiley

For the Disney Movies, I have a culture TL to go along with this but I really don't know what to do with it. If you'd like to, feel free to help me with it Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »

Ok, so I have June 9th-October 13th done for the TL so should I post that or should I post the remainder of 1949 to get to the 1950 Midterms ASAP?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »

June 12th, 1949 - House passes NAEFTA 315-130, to be reviewed by Senate on June 26th

In a vote after months of looking over the Bill, the US House has voted to pass the North American European Free Trade Agreement. It will head to the Senate to be investigated in a few days before being passed. Secretary of Commerce Saltonstall has went over to the Senate in order to rally votes for it and it is hoped it will be delivered to a few vote after investigation

June 27th, 1949 - Progressive Conservatives wins Canadian Election, George A. Drew to become 13th Prime Minister of Canada

The next Canadian Prime Minister

In a major surprise that stunned several pundits, The Progressive Conservative Party won the Canadian Elections, getting 147 seats (gaining +82 Seats) and 43.91% of the vote while the Liberals got 31.07% of the vote and 82 Seats (a loss of 35 Seats), The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation got 12.09% of the vote and 20 seats (a loss of 8 Seats) and the Social Credit Party got 10.82% of the vote and 13 seats (no net change) and remaining parties and Independents got the rest of the vote (2.11% for all of them combined) but not a single seat in Parliament. President Disney has called to congratulate Mr. Drew for his stunning victory and looks forward to working with him in the future.

The reason for this surprise victory could be the recent rise of conservatism across the world following Walt Disney's landslide victory and the recent sense of victory no matter what amongst the liberal party that didn't see them campaigning as hard as they could. Whatever the causes, the Progressive Conservatives are now in control and will be for at least the next 4 years.

June 29th, 1949 - South African Citizenship Act passes, citizenship of Commonwealth Immigrants suspended for 5 years and Mixed Marriages banned in South Africa

South Africa, under the control of the National Party and the Afrikaners, has passed an act suspending of commonwealth immigrants for five years and the banning of mixed marriages in the country. There has been some reactions calling out this policy but no big reaction has happened yet.

July 10th, 1949 - Associate Justice Frank Murphy dies at age 59; President Disney to announce replacement soon.

Associate Justice Frank Murphy, who has been on the court since 1940, has died and will thusly be President Disney's first supreme court replacement. Disney has stated he respected the man for his nine years of service on the court and has stated he promises to have a new Justice soon.

July 19th, 1949 - President Disney Nominates New Jersey Representative Fred A. Hartley Jr. to replace Justice Murphy; Senate to begin confirmation hearings soon.

After nine days of consideration, President Disney has announced that Justice Murphy's successor will be New Jersey Representative Fred A. Hartley Jr. Hartley was a key instrumental figure in the creation of the Taft-Hartley Act, could be a Conservative voice on the supreme court and could help consolidate Republican Power on the branch for decades. Very soon, the Senate will hold confirmation hearings, though it's likely he will be confirmed quickly

August 7th, 1949 - Fred A. Hartley Jr. confirmed by Senate, to become the next Supreme Court Associate Justice.

After almost a solid month of hearings, Representative Hartley has been confirmed by the Senate and will now sit on the highest court of the land in a 69-29 vote. As the more Liberal justices on the courts slowly begin to die off, the question is how long Disney could be President and how many justices he can nominate.

August 10th, 1949 - Chiang Kai Shiek to meet with South Korean President Rhee Syng-Man, Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, Burmese President Sao Shwe Thaik, and Thai Prime Minister Seni Pramoj in Sanghai to discuss possible East Asian Anti-Communist Alliance

Chiang Kai-Shek, knowing of his very tenuous in East Asia, has decided to meet with the leaders of several other pro-western military powers in the region, like India and South Korea, in order to discuss a possible Anti-Communist Coalition in the region. President Disney has applauded the idea and has gone on to state that the idea will be closely watched in the United States. All leaders have agreed to meet in a few days in Sanghai.

August 17th, 1949 - Senate passes NAEFTA 72-26, written into Law and ratified by President Disney.

Months after it's creation in March, the Senate has passed NAEFTA in a landslide vote before being written and ratified by President Disney mere hours later. The US is the last nation to officially ratify the agreement through legislation and thus it has been established with all nations in the original agreement. As an official organization, everyone wonders what the future holds for the world's first massive Trade Organization.

August 24th, 1949 - NATO established

After years of Discussion and arguing, NATO has finally been established as a united organization to stand against the USSR bulwark in Eastern Europe, bringing the democratic west as one alliance for the freedom of all citizens within these country. President Disney has gone on to state that the wall of Democracy will not bow to any threat by the Soviet Union and is ready to hold against in the case it comes to war.

September 10th, 1949 - Associate Justice Wiley Blount Rutledge dies at age 55, Disney to announce Replacement ASAP

Yet another Supreme Court Justice, Rutledge, has died. Having been on the court since 1943, Rutledge is yet another quick opening for the President to exploit to fill the SCOTUS with conservative justices to pass the agenda he holds openly. He has stated that he respected Justice Rutledge and hopes to find a suitable and acceptable replacement for him on the court. As of now, there are around a dozen and a half possible choices, but rumors abound about a possible shortlist having been made before Rutledge's death. The only answer for now is to wait and see.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 11:34:44 AM »

September 12th, 1949 - President Disney nominated NAACP Executive Secretary Walter Francis White to be First Human Rights Secretary. Senate to begin Confirmation Hearings

After months of establishing the Department of Human Rights, President Disney has announced that the Department is ready for a Secretary to lead it and has thusly nominated the Executive Secretary of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored Peoples, Walter Francis White, to be the first Secretary of Human Rights. White, having been Executive Secretary of the NAACP for 18 Years at this point in time, has been been described as perfect for the Job and thus, many expect the Senate Confirmation Hearings will be short and quick as the position will likely be filled quite soon.

September 21st, 1949 - Senate confirms Walter Francis White to be first Human Rights Secretary

First man to head the Department of Human Rights, Walter Francis White

Like many had suspected, the Senate only took nine days to confirm Walter Francis White as Secretary of Human Rights. With barely any controversy, Mr. White got 81 Confirm votes, 10 Deny Votes, and 5 abstentions. A few hours later he was sworn in by Vice President Lodge and thus officially became HR Secretary. White has promised that as Secretary, he will make sure the rights of all those that are oppressed will be restored. It's unknown what his first actions will be.

September 23rd, 1949 - President Disney : “The Soviet Union has successfully tested a Nuclear Bomb”

the US' worst fears realized

In a pubic address, President Disney confirmed the fears of all Americans : The Soviet Union has successfully created and tested a Nuclear Bomb. The President went on to say that while this may seem frightening, it would be unwise to be afraid as it might be perceived as weakness by the Soviet Leader Joseph Stalin, going on to say "While this information is deeply troubling and has no doubt shaken many of you to your core, It should only strengthen our resolve to hold out against the Communist menace. We shall not show fear in the face of Soviet strength and instead we shall prove ourselves stronger by stopping them at every turn." President Disney has gotten a huge boost from the news, reaching an approval in the upper 80s that will likely deteriorate over time.

September 27th, 1949 - President Disney nominates New Hampshire Senator Styles Bridges to replace Rutledge. Senate Confirmation Hearings to begin soon.

After weeks of constant speculation, President Disney has finally announced that New Hampshire Senator and Friend of Defense Secretary McCarthy, Styles Bridges, will be his choice to replace former Associate Justice Rutledge. Bridges, a passionate conservative and strong defender of the Defense Secretary, has been seen as yet another Conservative choice for the Supreme Court that threatens to wipe away the Liberal ideas of America over the last decade and thus several Democratic Senators, including Senators Edward L. Leahy Green of Rhode Island and Lyndon Johnson of Texas, has stated that they will vote to not confirm him even before the hearings begin. When the Hearings come in full swing, many expect the President, Vice President, and Senate Majority Leader and Whip to meet with prominent Republicans and Democrats to secure their votes to confirm Bridges. For now though, the drama of the confirmation hearings will suffice.

October 3rd-9th, 1949 - Civil War in Albania : Royalist Forces supported by Allies while Communist Government supported by Soviets

In a major surprise on Monday occurred when several thousand Albanian Guerillas wanting a restoration of the Monarchy of King Zog went across the Ionian Sea from exile in Italy and began a Civil War to overthrow the Communist Government in the Nation. Another big surprise happened when NATO announced that the Rebels had the full support of the nations in the Organization, thus having many speculate that these rebels were the cause of Allied intervention in the Nation. The Soviets have declared full support for the Communist Government, though not much aid will be able to get to them due to there being no real way to reach them. Albania, many believe, is perhaps the best target of the Allies as, due to Yugoslavia not being a part of the Warsaw Pact, they're split off and thus easy for liberation from Communism. Currently, after 6 days of fighting, the Rebels have an upper hand as they carve a path to the Nation's capital of Tirana but the war could still continue for years on end if neither side gains a grand advantage.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »

what do ya'll think of the new update?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »

I'm still waiting for the Culture update featuring Disney movies.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 03:50:33 AM »

I need help with it. I'm not a cultural expert as I am a history one Tongue
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2019, 04:21:28 AM »

I need help with it. I'm not a cultural expert as I am a history one Tongue

I'd love to...but taking direction from someone else is not one of my strong suits.

I can tell you that everything from Melody Time to Westward Ho the Wagons would either be delayed or not released if Disney serves two terms, and Disneyland likely would not built until after Walt's second term (assuming he wins reelection), with land development etc. not beginning on Disney World until after Walt's death.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »

Nice update!
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »

Next update?