Opinion of DavidB (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:48:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of DavidB (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of DavidB
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: Opinion of DavidB  (Read 5289 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: November 20, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »

In short, FF.  I like him.  More importantly, he's needed in many ways on this forum.  However, I find a lot of his views/comments really unfortunate, and I wish he'd explain them a lot more instead of trying to rile up lefties.

FWIW, your average poster on this forum does not really merit having things explained. I used to spend so much time justifying my views to other people, and I have gradually come to see this for the waste of time that it is. I daresay that DavidB. is just further along on that curve than I am.

Isn't justifying views/positions kind of the point of a political forum? If all of this - elections, political discussions, etc - is about pushing a set of beliefs/policies, it stands to reason that we'd be arguing why ours are needed and why others aren't.

Also at times I've found that justifying isn't always needed so much as simply explaining one's views and how they got there. I don't necessarily need someone to prove their positions are the right ones.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »

I'd say by Bolsonaro's own stated beliefs, he is a legitimate threat to the very idea of free and fair elections (or elections at all?) in Brazil, and supporting the idea of choosing your leaders should take precedent over a politician, no matter how many other favorable policies he dangles in one's face. And no, I don't think this is all hyperbole with him. Brazil doesn't have the most stable democracy as it is, and this guy hasn't been shy about what he wants. Plus, I don't get why anyone outside of BR would even want to publicly align with him. What good does that do?

All of this is to say that I really think right-leaning people (there are left-leaning examples too but the right's issues are more prominent atm) are sacrificing at times profound ethical and moral considerations to justify their support for politicians who they like or otherwise support other policies of. How much a person should excuse from their leaders in exchange for policy is a legitimate question of course, but one that is being answered these days in concerning ways.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies