What about the red?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:08:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What about the red?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What about the red?  (Read 149 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2019, 09:01:52 PM »

I work as a volunteer(志愿者)for an organization that helps the poor in Haiti. Recently I took my son Barrett there for a week, hoping to    1  him.
    2    setting out, I told Barrett this trip would be tiring and  rough. For the first two days, he said almost nothing. I worried the trip was too    3   for a 17-year-old. Then on the third day, as we were    4    over high rocky mountains, he turned to me and grinned(咧嘴笑),“Pretty hard.”
    After that there was no turning back. A five-year-old girl, wearing a dress several sizes  5    large and broken shoes, followed Barrett around, mesmerized(着迷). He couldn’t stop   6  . Later he said    7   . “I wish I could speak French.” I was    8   -this from a boy who hated and    9   French classes at school.
He was usually silent, but he   was friendly to  Gaby, our host, and kept asking questions about the country and its people. He 10  lively.
11    , the moment that really took    12  breath away was in a village deep in the mountains. I was    13    a woman villager for an article. 135 centimeters tall, she was small in figure but strong in    14   . Through determination(决心), she had learned to read and write and    15    to become part of the leadership of the   16   .
Learning her story, Barrett was as    17   as I by this tiny(极小的) woman’s achievements. His eyes were wet and there was a  combination(交织)  of  18  and respect on his face. He had finally understood the importance of my work.
When leaving for home, Barrett even offered to stay    19    as a volunteer. My insides suddenly felt something special. This    20    achieved all I’d expected. Soon he will celebrate his 18th birthday. He’ll be a man.
(  )1. A. comfort          B. please              C. attract                D. educate
(  )2. A. After             B. When           C. During            D. Before
(  )3. A. little              B. much               C. fast                    D. slow
(  )4. A. moving           B. running            C. climbing              D. looking
(  )5. A. too               B. very                 C. even                   D. so
(  )6. A. joking            B. crying              C. shouting              D. smiling
(  )7. A. patiently          B. regretfully         C. lightly                D. cheerfully
(  )8. A. sorry             B. disappointed       C. excited             D. surprised
(  )9. A. took up           B. went in for         C. fought against       D. called off
(  )10. A. became        B. went             C. turned               D. changed
(  )11. A. Thus              B. Even                C. Meanwhile          D. However
(  )12. A. my                B. his                   C. our                   D. her
(  )13. A. asking           B. interviewing       C. arranging             D. describing
(  )14. A. brain             B. wish                  C. will                      D. health
(  )15. A. appeared        B. struggled           C. succeed               D. failed
(  )16. A. village         B. city                C. organization           D. state
(  )17. A. pleased          B. bored                 C. puzzled                D. touched
(  )18. A. love        B. puzzle            C. surprise              D. enjoyment
(  )19. A. in                   B. behind               C. out                       D. away
(  )20. A. interview       B. flight                  C. article                   D. trip 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »

6. Either B or D probably

18. A, C or D. Gonna go more strongly with either A or C.

I would try to consult elsewhere just to be double safe.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies