Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:19:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 74
Author Topic: Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)  (Read 167872 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »

SBE has collected info suggesting that high-level Harris staffers may have been aware of Dowless' activities, which his campaign denies. Hundreds of potential witnesses have been identified and state/federal law enforcement are also investigating.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »

I mean the optics would clearly look much better. Or atleast the indie should have been appointed the head. It really isn't good to make the head the head a dem again IMO.

I don't even think it matters at this point. There is a lot of evidence mounting here, and the state GOP already seems to have established that it wants the race certified even if it takes a lawsuit, so I don't think giving them a functional majority on the board is going to help the optics. And if we need a new election, I seriously doubt Fox News, Trump and the state party are going to react any different than if there were 5 Democrats instead of 4.

Living through the past 3 years makes it impossible for me to come to any other conclusion. Say what you want about them, but they don't operate in good faith and haven't for a long time.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »

Also IMO  Cooper should have appointed one of the GOP members as head of the board while the replacement is still a dem.
It seems the GOP members are fairly bipartisan and willing to work so he could picked one of the two.
By replacing a contraversial dem with another dem the optics aren't great.

They are working together for now, but this is North Carolina. That could easily change, especially given that there is a House seat at stake. The NCGOP has built up a solid reputation as totally untrustworthy and consumed by greed and a lust for power, so they should never be given the benefit of the doubt. Now, if we were in another state, perhaps you're right, sure.

I mean the optics would clearly look much better. Or atleast the indie should have been appointed the head. It really isn't good to make the head the head a dem again IMO.

That's stupid. I mean, the Republican candidate's campaign is essentially being investigated for fraud and the Democrat's have to appoint a Republican to a nine member board to save face? There are already four Republicans on the board who the Democrats can get to vote with them to show bipartisanship, they don't need to cede their majority on the board to do that. Also, addressing oddities in elections is not the only thing the Board does for the state. Giving up power for a single (admittedly important) issue makes no sense in the longer term.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »

Also IMO  Cooper should have appointed one of the GOP members as head of the board while the replacement is still a dem.
It seems the GOP members are fairly bipartisan and willing to work so he could picked one of the two.
By replacing a contraversial dem with another dem the optics aren't great.

They are working together for now, but this is North Carolina. That could easily change, especially given that there is a House seat at stake. The NCGOP has built up a solid reputation as totally untrustworthy and consumed by greed and a lust for power, so they should never be given the benefit of the doubt. Now, if we were in another state, perhaps you're right, sure.

That's stupid. I mean, the Republican candidate's campaign is essentially being investigated for fraud and the Democrat's have to appoint a Republican to a nine member board to save face? There are already four Republicans on the board who the Democrats can get to vote with them to show bipartisanship, they don't need to cede their majority on the board to do that. Also, addressing oddities in elections is not the only thing the Board does for the state. Giving up power for a single (admittedly important) issue makes no sense in the longer term.

OH NO im not saying that Cooper should have replaced it and made it 5-3-1.
Im saying he should have made one of two republicans the chairman instead of a democrat. Or at the very least the independent.

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2018, 08:38:05 PM »

Democrats are trying to steal another Congressional Race. They always do.

While I don’t agree with your characterizations, since people like you only care about voter fraud investigations when democrats are the suspects, I still think the board should certify the race.

How can you possibly be for certifying the race at this point, given all the information that's come out in the last few days?

I think the Harris lead is insurmountable, and we should stop spending taxpayer funds on this investigation.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »

While I don’t agree with your characterizations, since people like you only care about voter fraud investigations when democrats are the suspects, I still think the board should certify the race.

How can you possibly be for certifying the race at this point, given all the information that's come out in the last few days?

I think the Harris lead is insurmountable, and we should stop spending taxpayer funds on this investigation.
You do know this isn't a recount, right? The question isn't whether or not McCready can make up the difference with uncounted votes, it's whether or not election fraud was committed.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:01 PM »

at this point bagel just has to be trolling.
Even on RRH about half of them are conceding a new election might happen besides the hard right hacks like Krazen.

Also bagel
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »

*plonk*
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »

And I think so long as McCready is unable to catch up, Harris should be certified regardless of fraud. An insurmountable race ought to lead to certification.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »

And I think so long as McCready is unable to catch up, Harris should be certified regardless of fraud. An insurmountable race ought to lead to certification.

Well there's the problem right there.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »

Your exponentially increasing stupidity proves the second law of thermodynamics.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »

*facepalm*

If it's found out Harris was involved with the fraud...there's a good chance he goes to prison.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »

Again, people’s votes were likely messed with. That’s why we’re having this investigation in the first place and no certification of the results regardless of whether or not McCready can catch up.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »

Not getting your hopes up about a special =/= recognizing that something is so seriously wrong with how the election took place that a do-over might be necessary at all.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »

Again, people’s votes were likely messed with. That’s why we’re having this investigation in the first place and no certification of the results regardless of whether or not McCready can catch up.

He's either trolling or being willfully stupid.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:30 PM »

That's not how this works. Any fraud committed in an election should nullify it regardless of if the candidate trailing can catch up.
new_patomic

« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »

The State Election Board has a duty to the citizens of North Carolina to protect the integrity and security of their elections. So they're more than correct to deny/shoot down knee jerk calls to certify the election results anyway.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »

This whole affair has been reminding me of something from an old book, and I finally found it.  The following is from The Revolution From Rosinante, a science fiction novel by Alexis A. Gilliland.  This is on page 5 of my copy (Del Rey Books, 1981):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »

That's not how this works. Any fraud committed in an election should nullify it regardless of if the candidate trailing can catch up.

no lol
If it is proven the fraud was limited and Harris was not involved then it should be certified. A special election is a waste of money in that scenario and also a middle finger to the other Harris voters and the plurality of voters who wanted Harris.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #244 on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »

no lol
If it is proven the fraud was limited and Harris was not involved then it should be certified. A special election is a waste of money in that scenario and also a middle finger to the other Harris voters and the plurality of voters who wanted Harris.

If fraud is determined to have occurred, would you agree that the result should stand only if the maximum POSSIBLE extent of that fraud would be insufficient to change the result?  (i.e -- if there's ANY way that the fraud could have changed the result, the election should be thrown out.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »

no lol

If fraud is determined to have occurred, would you agree that the result should stand only if the maximum POSSIBLE extent of that fraud would be insufficient to change the result?  (i.e -- if there's ANY way that the fraud could have changed the result, the election should be thrown out.)

Yeah more or less . If they find 907 destroyed ballots/fraudulent ballots go ahead I am fine with it.

Voter fraud although rare probably happened in small individual amounts in every district in the country. Does that mean every election should nullified?
Of course not.  It would be really unfair to Harris if he was innocent(id say its a 50/50 that he is innocent) and the votes did not affect the margin and he also lost the SE.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2018, 10:19:02 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/channel-9-uncovers-similarities-between-absentee-ballots-in-us-house-district-9-race/882660808

Also full article and video link of the witness harvesters. Its looking more and more like fraud but I am trying to keep a neutral perspective here unlike some hacks who believes that a single vote of fraud should mean mcready won.

Anyway a TLDR is say person A harvested ballots from 40 houses. There is a required witness to sign. They signed all 40 houses. Now why would someone be signing as a witness for strangers unless they harvested. Its now overwhelmingly pointing to fraud. Anyway these witness signers probably commited a crime by harvesting but at the same time they thought it was legal. Obviously there will be some punishment but its clear they were just thought they were doing honest work.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »

Look, my opinion here is that Harris should be seated BUT, there should also be a new election to deal with the massive amounts of fraud, and Harris should barred from the ballot in that election, given it's rather clear he would just steal it.

In any event, it's really just a preview of what the Republican nominee will do against Cooper in 2020.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #248 on: December 03, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »

no lol

There is nothing funny about this. You are implying that it's okay to commit fraud if it doesn't effect the result or if the candidate didn't know about it (which seems hard to believe). If voters had their ballots forged or destroyed then they should be given the opportunity to vote in a fair election.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #249 on: December 03, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »

How many votes is required in the House to expel a member? A simple majority or 2/3rds?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies