Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74
Author Topic: Congressional Special Election (last call! unstickied after NY-27 final results)  (Read 166457 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 24, 2019, 04:26:33 PM »

It might be an R-friendly sample, but I still think that Bishop will win about 51-48.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1051 on: May 24, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »

Tilt D->Tilt R
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1052 on: May 25, 2019, 03:22:58 PM »

Umm that has trump at +16
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1053 on: May 27, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »

I think a Trump +16 sample is a good bit too favorable to Bishop.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1054 on: May 27, 2019, 07:23:37 PM »

Trump favoring sample or not, this race is lean R. North Carolina is only like .1% less disappointing than Florida when it comes to its recent elections, and that's entirely due to Roy Cooper's victory back in 2016. North Carolina, is simply still a tough nut for Democrats to crack. This goes for Cooper's re-election, unseating Thom Tillis, and even these special elections. I don't see McCready being able to get the Democratic votes that he did in the high turnout (relatively) in the 2018 midterms. It's a consequence of the election do-over. I think it's going to resemble an O'Connor and Tipirneni sort of situation, just in reverse. I just hope he keeps it similarly close enough just so a "Dems in disarray/momentum shifting because of special elections!" media narrative doesn't occur again.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1055 on: May 27, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »

It's because Democrats are getting too far to the left for rural NC to vote for them.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1056 on: May 27, 2019, 11:15:23 PM »

It's because Democrats are getting too far to the left for rural NC to vote for them.

Democrats are practically always "too far to the left," while Republicans can keep going further right, and these voters barely bat an eye. Call me skeptical.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1057 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »

Democrats are practically always "too far to the left," while Republicans can keep going further right, and these voters barely bat an eye. Call me skeptical.

I don't agree with the OP's point about Democrats being "too far left", but I think the Republicans are slight favorites here just by the district's nature. NC-09 still leans more conservative, and I feel like in a low-turnout special it will be hard for McCready to find the extra 1% or so to give him the win.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1058 on: May 28, 2019, 03:56:50 AM »

In this particular case we talk about North Carolina district with considerable rural component. It's all, but impossinble, to be "too far to the right" in this district, but it's very easy to be "too far to the left" (even pragmatic liberal will fall into this "cathegory").....
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1059 on: May 28, 2019, 06:58:53 AM »

Aren't the rurals in this district still left of the urban areas? Its much closer than it was like in the Obama era but suburban Charlotte+Union is still+GOP while the rural areas are DEmocrat.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1060 on: May 28, 2019, 07:00:14 AM »

Aren't the rurals in this district still left of the urban areas? Its much closer than it was like in the Obama era but suburban Charlotte+Union is still+GOP while the rural areas are DEmocrat.
Yep, McCready won every county except Bladen (duh) and suburban Union but still "lost".
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1061 on: May 28, 2019, 09:05:04 AM »

May be they are. But that still not makes this district especially liberal (after all it was 56% Trump). So my main argument still holds: it's rather difficult to be "too far to the right" in this district, but very easy - "too far to the left"...
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1062 on: May 28, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »

May be they are. But that still not makes this district especially liberal (after all it was 56% Trump). So my main argument still holds: it's rather difficult to be "too far to the right" in this district, but very easy - "too far to the left"...

Why do you think Harris, who was much further right than the incumbent he defeated in the primary, narrowly lost the general election last fall if not for fraud? Clearly he may well have been too far to the right for this district.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1063 on: May 29, 2019, 03:28:22 AM »

Why do you think Harris, who was much further right than the incumbent he defeated in the primary, narrowly lost the general election last fall if not for fraud? Clearly he may well have been too far to the right for this district.

The fact, that such person as Harris, who is clearly far right, got approximately the same number of votes as McCready, who, by present Democratic standards, is "rather conservative Blue Dog", and the only poll we have, where also very conservative Bishop leads McCready by 4 despite all scandals and his own ultraconservative reputation, is a proof to me, that in this district it's really difficult to be "too far to the right" and very easy - "too far to the left". If McCready wins - he, probably, will be among 10 "most conservative" House Democrat, but even that may be "not enough".
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1064 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »

The fact, that such person as Harris, who is clearly far right, got approximately the same number of votes as McCready, who, by present Democratic standards, is "rather conservative Blue Dog", and the only poll we have, where also very conservative Bishop leads McCready by 4 despite all scandals and his own ultraconservative reputation, is a proof to me, that in this district it's really difficult to be "too far to the right" and very easy - "too far to the left". If McCready wins - he, probably, will be among 10 "most conservative" House Democrat, but even that may be "not enough".

Bishops state senate district is Trump +3 but he won by 6 points in 2018 and its very suburban. He isn't a weak candidate by any measure.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1065 on: May 30, 2019, 11:43:20 PM »

Bishops state senate district is Trump +3 but he won by 6 points in 2018 and its very suburban. He isn't a weak candidate by any measure.

I never said he is weak. But he has considerable notoriety for his legislative activity, and is rather far right himself. Nevertheless - he leads. That says at least something about the district..
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1066 on: May 30, 2019, 11:54:45 PM »

I never said he is weak. But he has considerable notoriety for his legislative activity, and is rather far right himself. Nevertheless - he leads. That says at least something about the district..

Ideology matters far less than #pundits think. Does it say his state senate district is far right despite being left of NC as a whole because it voted for him?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1067 on: May 31, 2019, 12:20:34 AM »

Ideology matters far less than #pundits think. Does it say his state senate district is far right despite being left of NC as a whole because it voted for him?

Well, usually left-leaning district doesn't vote for rightists and vice versa. Exceptions happen, but - not too frequently...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1068 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:11 AM »

Well, usually left-leaning district doesn't vote for rightists and vice versa. Exceptions happen, but - not too frequently...

I mean a trump+3 suburban district is clearly a leftish/swingish leaning district in a year like 2018 yet it voted for Mcready.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1069 on: May 31, 2019, 02:37:19 AM »

^ Let's wait and see. In less then 3,5 month we will know results, and many things will be much clearer...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1070 on: May 31, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »

^ Let's wait and see. In less then 3,5 month we will know results, and many things will be much clearer...

True but just wondering would you consider MN 07 a left leaning district in 2014 because it voted for Al Franken in a GOP wave year?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1071 on: May 31, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »

True but just wondering would you consider MN 07 a left leaning district in 2014 because it voted for Al Franken in a GOP wave year?

No. But it was less right-wing  in 2014 then now, considerably...
decunningham2
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1072 on: May 31, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »

This race it Tilt R at worst. The biggest issue McCready has is he cannot afford to lose any support in Meck (which is 33% of the seat's population), but Bishop just happens to represent the exact part of Meck that McCready needs to win. If McCready only wins Meck by a smaller margin, or loses it outright, he can't possibly win. This seat is very, very tough for a Democrat to win barring a complete dumpster fire of a candidate like Mark Harris.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1073 on: June 03, 2019, 02:51:00 PM »

Atlantic Media and Research: McCready +2

http://politicselections.com/new-poll-in-race-between-dan-mccready-and-dan-bishop-shows-close-race-for-special-election/
decunningham2
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1074 on: June 03, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »

Can't PM for some reason, but I am.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies