Should immigrants/non-citizens living in the US have full voting rights?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:23:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should immigrants/non-citizens living in the US have full voting rights?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should immigrants/non-citizens living in the US have full voting rights?  (Read 3357 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/noncitizens-are-gaining-the-right-to-vote-good/2017/08/18/805b86e2-4d3e-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html?utm_term=.8888b13ae4d1
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »

Who are they and if they are so treasured why not make them citizens?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »

Exactly.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »

Are there any countries in the world that allow non-citizens to vote in their elections? If so, I would be willing to let an immigrant from those countries to vote in ours, as a matter of reciprocity.  But I've never heard of one that allows it.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »

Ideally, yes. I think citizenship ought to be based on wherever one has established residency. You get a visa and move to the USA, in 6 months you become an American citizen with full rights. You move away, and you lose your citizenship.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 12:35:35 AM »

Exactly.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:47:10 AM »

Are there any countries in the world that allow non-citizens to vote in their elections? If so, I would be willing to let an immigrant from those countries to vote in ours, as a matter of reciprocity.  But I've never heard of one that allows it.

Quite a few do at various leves - Some Swiss Cantons let foreigners vote at local/cantonal levels; the UK lets commonwealth citizens vote; I'm pretty sure that Sweden lets anyone living in the country for over three years vote.

There are usually certain preconditions about length of residence or immigration status, but it's not exactly rare to allow foreigners to vote.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 10:01:07 AM »

I would be fine with letting non-citizen nationals (i.e. American Samoans) and immigrant aliens (i.e. green card holders) vote in local elections, as long as they are either a) not yet eligible to apply for citizenship, or b) have applied for citizenship within 6 months of being eligible to do so.

I don't see any reason in extending the vote to someone who has voluntarily chosen not to become an American.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »

Citizenship, not that I've ever had to fight for it in the United States, surely involves greater hurdles to it than there are to becoming a non-citizen resident or whatever. And as such, this would make them (I hope) at the least required to learn the language and history of their host country and to register in its selective service.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 10:33:36 PM »

Citizenship, not that I've ever had to fight for it in the United States, surely involves greater hurdles to it than there are to becoming a non-citizen resident or whatever. And as such, this would make them (I hope) at the least required to learn the language and history of their host country and to register in its selective service.

You make an important yet often ignored point here. Citizens of the nation are ethically bound to duty at the nation's behest. With this responsibility comes the right to guide the path of the nation. But we forgot this, and people who thought they were entitled to something for nothing decided that they could have positive rights of influence without positive responsibilities to maintain the fabric of society. It should be little wonder then that we see destructive ideologies arise with little love or regard for the social and cultural tradition they exist in.
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »

No, they shouldn't. I think you should be a citizen to vote. I'm for felons voting if they're actual citizens. I don't think some British dude should move here for a month and then move away.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »

I think voting in municipal/local elections is reasonable since non-citizens pay the same local property taxes and sales taxes that citizens do. And those elections don't have anything to do with foreign policy or other things that could create a conflict of interest between them and their home country.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2018, 12:31:16 PM by tack50 »

The EU allows EU non citizens to vote (and be elected) in local and EU elections at their country of residence and not their country of citizenship.

A good example is the 2019 Barcelona mayor race, where former French PM Manuel Valls, a French citizen is running for mayor of a Spanish city. Presumably he will vote for himself as well.

Of course that does not apply to US citizens.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 07:12:27 PM »

Ewww no.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »

No.

Not at all.

Voting ought to be a perogative reserved for citizens, period.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »

I think voting in municipal/local elections is reasonable since non-citizens pay the same local property taxes and sales taxes that citizens do. And those elections don't have anything to do with foreign policy or other things that could create a conflict of interest between them and their home country.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 04:42:15 AM »

I would be fine with letting non-citizen nationals (i.e. American Samoans) and immigrant aliens (i.e. green card holders) vote in local elections, as long as they are either a) not yet eligible to apply for citizenship, or b) have applied for citizenship within 6 months of being eligible to do so.

I don't see any reason in extending the vote to someone who has voluntarily chosen not to become an American.

Of course democrats want non citizens to vote because they have trouble winning elections with the actual American citizens
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »

Yes. I don't think it's a good idea to disenfranchise a huge swathe of the working class.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »

Absolutely not.

Countries are not ATMs where immigrants can claim whatever they want and given rights upon their (illegal) entry.

Voting rights have to be earned by them and they can apply for citizenship if they want to vote.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »

Of course democrats want non citizens to vote because they have trouble winning elections with the actual American citizens

what, no, you're thinking of the Republicans who don't want most actual American citizens to vote
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »

No.

Not at all.

Voting ought to be a perogative reserved for citizens, period.

Why?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »

Absolutely not.

Countries are not ATMs where immigrants can claim whatever they want and given rights upon their (illegal) entry.

Voting rights have to be earned by them and they can apply for citizenship if they want to vote.

TIL there are no legal immigrants
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »

No. That's the whole point of being a citizen.

Having said that, becoming a citizen shouldn't be longer or more burdensome than it has to be.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 09:59:02 PM »

No. That's the whole point of being a citizen.

Having said that, becoming a citizen shouldn't be longer or more burdensome than it has to be.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 10:14:52 PM »

Not full voting rights...

But I can see voting rights for anything that isn't Congress/U.S Senate/President being allowed/agreed upon by various states.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies