NJ town vs Christmas lights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:45:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  NJ town vs Christmas lights
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: NJ town vs Christmas lights, who right?
NJ town

NJ town, but perhaps the fines are excessive

meh

Christmas lights, but perhaps there should be a compromise

Christmas lights

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: NJ town vs Christmas lights  (Read 1161 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »

lnijk
You must be logged in to read this quote.
the family takes donations for Home for Our Troops and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »

Christmas lights. If anything, the town should be paying him for entertaining the other residents.

By the way, Vitamin C (the person) was originally from this town.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:02:31 PM »

The amount does seem excessive, but if that display is getting so many people to see it that they need to use shuttle buses to bring people to see it, it clearly is beyond the capacity of a residential street to handle the traffic. It may be fun for him, but I'd hate to live anywhere near him, especially if I needed to get to or from my house in the evening. His display also probably makes it near impossible to have anyone come over for entertainment.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:32:46 AM »

that's ridiculous
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

Didn't even read but knew "Christmas Lights" is the correct answer.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »

Probably Christmas Lights, but I might side with the town if they're a legitimate disruption for locals who are trying to drive places. Even then, the whole shuttle bus and police thing is just crazy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:43 PM »

The amount does seem excessive, but if that display is getting so many people to see it that they need to use shuttle buses to bring people to see it, it clearly is beyond the capacity of a residential street to handle the traffic. It may be fun for him, but I'd hate to live anywhere near him, especially if I needed to get to or from my house in the evening. His display also probably makes it near impossible to have anyone come over for entertainment.

The rhetoric of this stuff is pernicious. "Near impossible to have anyone come over for entertainment"? That's not true by any stretch of the imagination.

Apruzzi lives on a 24-foot width road, which is only narrow compared to the 30-foot plus parking lots built today on account of paranoid emergency vehicle requirements.

And if he's got several thousand vehicles a night wanting to go past at 5 mph or slower so they can enjoy the full length of his show, does it really matter how wide his street is?  The mere fact that people are willing to get on shuttle buses instead of stay in their own cars is an obvious indication that display is generating way more traffic than a residential street can handle, or should be expected to handle.  At a certain point a nicety becomes a nuisance when too many people try to enjoy it at the same time.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 12:09:42 AM »

I do agree he should pay the town, but two grand is basically the textbook definition of vindictive prosecution.

Maybe something like a hundred dollars a night, with the town assuming responsibility for shuttle bus service, and paying the difference in the Apruzzi's electric bill's between a night when the light display is running and any other night.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »

This is an example of how local government takes away more freedoms and liberties than State Governments and the Federal Government.  I'm not entirely convinced that Federalizing the solution to a problem results in more loss of individual liberties, so much as it provides a check on state governments depriving people of liberties.  When liberty is deprived, it is not less abhorrent just because it's being done by a lower level of government.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »

Probably Christmas Lights, but I might side with the town if they're a legitimate disruption for locals who are trying to drive places. Even then, the whole shuttle bus and police thing is just crazy.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies