Why is atlas so male?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:10:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why is atlas so male?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is atlas so male?  (Read 2431 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »

?
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »

Most of the internet is.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »

Most politics stuff is.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »

Lourdes
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »

It's not the internet:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-2018-appendix-a-detailed-table/

Women use social media more than men (overall).

The disparity comes from internet forums, and more so niche forums, such as those centered around things like politics and certain kinds of gaming. There are other topics that have male disparities too. I remember stumbling onto an GoT forum that seemed like it was 2/3 women at least.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »

It's not the internet:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-2018-appendix-a-detailed-table/

Women use social media more than men (overall).

The disparity comes from internet forums, and more so niche forums, such as those centered around things like politics and certain kinds of gaming. There are other topics that have male disparities too. I remember stumbling onto an GoT forum that seemed like it was 2/3 women at least.

Yeah I've been on several forums that were 2/3rds or more women. I think women are less likely to become involved in political forums overall.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:15:31 AM »

Men like beer, farts, hot tubs, and politics and Atlas offers all of those.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »

I have a feeling most somewhat scientific things on the internet are. Wikipedia has the same "problem". Most women prefer more real world stuff, especially when they are highly educated.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 06:33:14 AM »

Because men and women are different.  They enjoy different things.  What they do for a living is different, what they do for fun is different.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »

The internet: Where women are men, men are children and children are FBI agents

Also, not sure how relevant this is, but Atlas actually has a large amount of women in my experience (relatively speaking). I remember a survey in reddit for /r/europe where it turned out that 95% of users were men.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »

Also, not sure how relevant this is, but Atlas actually has a large amount of women in my experience (relatively speaking). I remember a survey in reddit for /r/europe where it turned out that 95% of users were men.

TBH, I think there was a point in time where Atlas was 95% male. For whatever reason, the gender gap has seemed to have narrowed a bit in the past few

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »

My girlfriend would never join a forum.

My only other forum is online simulator racing, and that is 35,000 men and 3 women.

If you look at the Papoy thread on this forum, half the photos are female.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 12:48:33 AM »

Yes, politics forums tend to be more male than female, but not all politics forums are as male as this one.  There was another thread on this years ago that I can't find now, and I think it was Beet who made a good point there about how the Atlas forum is unusually isolated in cyberspace, and not tied to any particular personality or blog or whatever.  It's just something that you stumble across if you're looking for election results.  The hypothesis was that it being so isolated might result in the demographics here being different than they would be on another politics forum.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 02:40:24 AM »

Yes, politics forums tend to be more male than female, but not all politics forums are as male as this one.  There was another thread on this years ago that I can't find now, and I think it was Beet who made a good point there about how the Atlas forum is unusually isolated in cyberspace, and not tied to any particular personality or blog or whatever.  It's just something that you stumble across if you're looking for election results.  The hypothesis was that it being so isolated might result in the demographics here being different than they would be on another politics forum.

OK, but why would the isolation, in turn, make the forum more male.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »

Yes, politics forums tend to be more male than female, but not all politics forums are as male as this one.  There was another thread on this years ago that I can't find now, and I think it was Beet who made a good point there about how the Atlas forum is unusually isolated in cyberspace, and not tied to any particular personality or blog or whatever.  It's just something that you stumble across if you're looking for election results.  The hypothesis was that it being so isolated might result in the demographics here being different than they would be on another politics forum.

Well, Wikipedia isn't isolated from cyberspace (among the top-ten visited websites), but about 85% of writers are men. Women use the internet to connect with people and men tend to write or discuss about specific issues they are interested in (politics, science, architecture etc.).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »

Yes, politics forums tend to be more male than female, but not all politics forums are as male as this one.  There was another thread on this years ago that I can't find now, and I think it was Beet who made a good point there about how the Atlas forum is unusually isolated in cyberspace, and not tied to any particular personality or blog or whatever.  It's just something that you stumble across if you're looking for election results.  The hypothesis was that it being so isolated might result in the demographics here being different than they would be on another politics forum.

Well, Wikipedia isn't isolated from cyberspace (among the top-ten visited websites), but about 85% of writers are men. Women use the internet to connect with people and men tend to write or discuss about specific issues they are interested in (politics, science, architecture etc.).

My wife's Facebook page is all about kids, grandkids, family, etc.  Mine is all about religion and politics, with some sports.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »

When I first registered in 2004 there were already 3 women here, 2 of them used gender neutral names and never publicly disclosed their gender, I was stupid enough to put it right in my name  Squinting, All 3 are long gone now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »

Ah, I found the thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=115102.0

And here's the Beet post I was thinking of:

Well, places usually grow by word of mouth or by advertising. In first person shooter forums for example, the advertising is the game, which men and women both see in stores, and is played by so many men that some women are bound to come into contact with it, try it, and like it enough to post in a forum. With other political sites that I go to, they tend to be well known, or the people in them started out drawn together as a group in real life that expanded into a online group, kind of like phknrocket1k was saying. Groups in real life tend to be mixed gender, so when translated online, it became that way as well.

This site is a place where you aren't going to find it unless you go searching. We're not tied to any particular famous events or personalities. Dave doesn't have a blog that attracts many links or hits to this site. We get a traffic surge around election day just for people looking for information, IIRC, but it mostly hangs beneath the surface. People have made friends here but it's relatively rare for existing members to bring in their friends or family. Statesrights is one of the exceptions and the result that was one of our few female members.

In other words, this site is designed very much as a social networking island. It's unusually disconnected. I'm not sure that answers the OP's question but I think it has something to do with it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the # of women who read the forum and maybe even registered once but don't post is higher than the # that has posted. Also there are probably some incognito women who have not put anything hinting at which they are in their profile and haven't gendered themselves in any posts. I'm not much of a forum user outside Atlas but I've registered on other places to get help, see certain content or other stuff and I usually don't put any identifying information. Guys can get weird when you do that on the internet.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »

this is so completely false and it makes me sad to see so many people think this
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the # of women who read the forum and maybe even registered once but don't post is higher than the # that has posted. Also there are probably some incognito women who have not put anything hinting at which they are in their profile and haven't gendered themselves in any posts. I'm not much of a forum user outside Atlas but I've registered on other places to get help, see certain content or other stuff and I usually don't put any identifying information. Guys can get weird when you do that on the internet.
But you don't have the same problems with guys on Atlas?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »

not really

not the same everywhere else though in my experiences
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

not really

not the same everywhere else though in my experiences
Interesting, I guess the "nerdiness" of the forum means there is less opportunity for those situations to arise.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies