L 14.2 - Lincoln Gun Control Repeal Act of 2018 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:39:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L 14.2 - Lincoln Gun Control Repeal Act of 2018 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: L 14.2 - Lincoln Gun Control Repeal Act of 2018 (Passed)  (Read 1810 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2018, 12:56:57 AM »
« edited: December 22, 2018, 01:06:49 AM by Lt. Gov. wxtransit »

Sponsor: 1184AZ
Bill designation: L 14.2
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:59:04 AM »

Lincoln Assembly Bill 14.2 is now on the Assembly floor. Debate on this legislation has now begun and will last no less than 72 hours.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:05:55 AM »

This bill attempts to repeal much of our regions ineffective gun control laws which are slated to cost our region millions and will do more to harm individual that use guns for hunting and self defence than keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »

Lincoln's laws regarding gun control are perfectly in accordance to the Atlasian and Lincoln constitution. What this bill does is sacrifice the well-being and safety of Lincoln's citizens for some platitute about the right to bear arms which is in no way threatened by the protections the region has in place right now. If the argument is that the laws are ineffective, the priority for this Assembly and for the region should be to make them more effective, not to completely eliminate them. Provisions of the law such as the Bump Stock Ban are perfectly reasonable and in accordance with the right to bear arms.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 12:23:14 PM »

This was law already? It doesn't make any sense ...

1. Class C is for "Assault rifles and other semiautomatic weapons", however by every non-Lincoln definition an Assault Rifle is fully automatic, not semiautomatic.

2. Most handguns and rifles, and even some shotguns are semiautomatic. As an AK47 owner, as the law is currently written I have no idea if id have to obtain a class B license for rifles or Class C for semiautomatics. Ditto if I had a Beretta 9 mm handgun.

3. Bump stocks are considered as machine guns and are thus heavily regulated as to basically make them unavailable.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »

1. Class C is for "Assault rifles and other semiautomatic weapons", however by every non-Lincoln definition an Assault Rifle is fully automatic, not semiautomatic.

2. Most handguns and rifles, and even some shotguns are semiautomatic. As an AK47 owner, as the law is currently written I have no idea if id have to obtain a class B license for rifles or Class C for semiautomatics. Ditto if I had a Beretta 9 mm handgun.

3. Bump stocks are considered as machine guns and are thus heavily regulated as to basically make them unavailable.

That ties in with an earlier intervention. The solution is not to repeal this law in such a manner that there is basically no control at all, but write it in a more efficient and conscious way.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »

That ties in with an earlier intervention. The solution is not to repeal this law in such a manner that there is basically no control at all, but write it in a more efficient and conscious way.

Given that the law, as written, takes effect in less than a month but is written in such a confusing, intrusive, haphazard manner, the law should at least be postponed a year either to correct it further or have the bureaucrats explain execution better. The law needs to be heavily amended but amending it less than a month prior to taking effect will not provide govt employees or the public adequate time to figure out the law.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »

I suggest that you all repeal Section 4 since it creates unnecessary burden and invades the privacy of students.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »

I suggest that you all repeal Section 4 since it creates unnecessary burden and invades the privacy of students.

At least read the section before advocating repealing it.

Section 4: Public School Security

i. All visitors as defined as a non-current student or faculty to a public school in Lincoln is must have any bags searched by a staff member situated at the front door before they are allowed to enter the School.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 02:01:40 AM »

Given that the law, as written, takes effect in less than a month but is written in such a confusing, intrusive, haphazard manner, the law should at least be postponed a year either to correct it further or have the bureaucrats explain execution better. The law needs to be heavily amended but amending it less than a month prior to taking effect will not provide govt employees or the public adequate time to figure out the law.
I agree with Mr. R here. I do think some of the restrictions in the original bill go a bit to far, but I also think that we need some time to thoroughly debate this bill and work out all the kinks, and give Lincolnites time to give their own input and advice on the bill.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 02:05:29 AM »

I propose the following amendment, as a stopgap until we can get the rest worked out:
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 02:07:57 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to declare whether the amendment is friendly or hostile.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 02:15:09 AM »

Hostile. I don’t see how the licensing system will accomplish much of anything on the subject of reducing gun violence and their are issues with other sections of this bill as well that need to be addressed.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 02:20:22 AM »

Hostile. I don’t see how the licensing system will accomplish much of anything on the subject of reducing gun violence and their are issues with other sections of this bill as well that need to be addressed.

Yes, and I additionally want to remove it, but first I'd rather have the date extended so we aren't still debating this and it goes into effect, as the deadline is less than a few weeks away.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »

A 48-hour vote is now open on the amendment. Assembly members please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »

Aye
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »

Aye.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »

Nay
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »

As all Assembly members have voted, I can now close the vote.

Aye: wxtransit, Peanut
Nay: 1184AZ

The amendment passes. Debate will now resume.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »

Alright, I'll first offer this amendment to the floor. As it was brought up that bump stocks are already regulated, portions of Section 2 are rendered redundant:

Sponsor feedback: Pending
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »

So if Rod screams at his brother Todd "I hate you and Im going to kill you!!!" But Todd doesn't report the threat, has a crime been committed under this law if 45 days later Rod buys a hunting rifle to gift to Todd as an Im sorry present? have either Rod, Todd, or the gundealer who performed a background check committed a crime?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 09:38:09 PM »

So if Rod screams at his brother Todd "I hate you and Im going to kill you!!!" But Todd doesn't report the threat, has a crime been committed under this law if 45 days later Rod buys a hunting rifle to gift to Todd as an Im sorry present? have either Rod, Todd, or the gundealer who performed a background check committed a crime?

That is problematic. How would you suggest fixing it? Removing "specific citizen," and adding "public" before "specific threat"?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:14 PM »

That is problematic. How would you suggest fixing it? Removing "specific citizen," and adding "public" before "specific threat"?

I don't think that really does a lot - this situation can still occur in public, and serious threats can still (and may be more likely to) occur in private.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »

I don't think that really does a lot - this situation can still occur in public, and serious threats can still (and may be more likely to) occur in private.

How could that be monitored, then?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »

Repeal everything Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies