CNN:Trump's alienation of younger voters is a generational gamble for GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:29:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  CNN:Trump's alienation of younger voters is a generational gamble for GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CNN:Trump's alienation of younger voters is a generational gamble for GOP  (Read 3038 times)
indietraveler

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »

This was already obvious, but what will the tangible outcome be? Say the GOP doubles down on Trumpism at least until 2028. What sort of map are we looking at then? The youngest Gen-Xers will be entering their 50s and a good majority of whatever Gen Z becomes will be of voting age.

Weird being referred to as an "older" millennial, but am also not surprised that we're not becoming more conservative as some expected. 2008 was my first presidential election so my teen years started with the Bush administration. Going from that to the Tea Party to Trump has only solidified my opposition even if I don't always love the alternative.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/politics/trumps-alienation-of-younger-voters-is-a-generational-gamble-for-gop/index.html
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »

Lol Gen Z thinks Democrats are full of sh**t. Have fun dealing with us.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »

You are not your entire generation, idiot. The 18-29 age bracket shifted strongly Democratic. The 18-24 age bracket shifted strongly Democratic. It is clear that younger voters are increasingly Democratic.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

Your friends, /pol/, and Steven Crowder videos don't represent a generation.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:04:20 PM »

Lol
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »

Actually most young people like the Democratic platform; they just have qualms with their leadership. They feel that Schumer and Pelosi are too centrist and corporate-friendly. And there are certain issues that young people are challenging the establishment from the left, like on Medicare-for-all or Israel policy.

Young people are starting to embrace hardcore progressives like Ocasio-Cortez, Ellison, Jayapal, Pocan, Omar, Tlaib, et al. Though they are saving it for the deep blue districts.

To use a Harry Potter analogy, they’re kind of like Professor McGonagall. They’re seen as good guys, but their strict, status-quo attitude don’t help the heroes in their cause.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »

All I can tell you is that I know a lot of people in my age group, substantially more diverse than most people. In my generation, about 80% of white males, 35-40% of African-American males, and 15-20% of Hispanic males are conservative. The gender gap is significant, to be fair, but we aren't voting Democrat 75-20 overall, trust me. It'll be something along the lines of Democrat 50-46, maybe a bit more on both sides because we really adopted a big stigma against third party candidates. Laugh all you want. In the 2030s, you'll start to see the picture of my generation in politics and realize I was right the whole time.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »

Like I said elsewhere on this forum, the main reason this generation has leaned D thus far is because of the popularity of the Obama administration and the unpopularity of the Trump administration.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »

All I can tell you is that I know a lot of people in my age group, substantially more diverse than most people. In my generation, about 80% of white males, 35-40% of African-American males, and 15-20% of Hispanic males are conservative. The gender gap is significant, to be fair, but we aren't voting Democrat 75-20 overall, trust me. It'll be something along the lines of Democrat 50-46, maybe a bit more on both sides because we really adopted a big stigma against third party candidates. Laugh all you want. In the 2030s, you'll start to see the picture of my generation in politics and realize I was right the whole time.
[/quote
Im also a Gen “Z”er and will be laughing when your prediction falls flat on its face.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:50:29 AM »

18-24 year olds voted nearly 70% Dem / 30% Rep in 2018.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 08:00:03 AM »

No they won’t, but You can believe that for all I care😁
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »

Did you not just see how the 18-24 age group voted this year? But why am I surprised? Weren’t you the one who thinks the GOP will get at least 12% of the black vote in 2020? Lol.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Curly
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

Think about who has represented the Republican Party since the 2000s: Bush 43, Cheney, Palin, Tea Party, McConnell, Paul Ryan, Trump. Ofc people who grew of age during this time still lean Democrat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »

Here's the results from the precinct that includes the University of Minnesota dorms btw:

Results for Selected Precincts in Hennepin County

MINNEAPOLIS W-2 P-10
U.S. Senator     4113 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Party   Candidate   Totals   Pct   Graph
Republican      Jim Newberger   207   15.36%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Amy Klobuchar   1057   78.41%   
Legal Marijuana Now      Dennis Schuller   47   3.49%   
Minnesota Green Party      Paula M Overby   37   2.74%   
Write-In      WRITE-IN**   0   0.00%   
U.S. Senator Special Election     4113 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      Karin Housley   275   20.42%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Tina Smith   998   74.09%   
Legal Marijuana Now      Sarah Wellington   56   4.16%   
Unaffiliated      Jerry Trooien   18   1.34%   
U.S. Representative District 5     236 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      Jennifer Zielinski   292   22.15%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Ilhan Omar   1024   77.69%   
WRITE-IN**      WRITE-IN**   2   0.15%   
State Representative District 60B     12 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      Joseph Patiño   279   22.37%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Mohamud Noor   965   77.39%   
WRITE-IN**      WRITE-IN**   3   0.24%   
Governor & Lt Governor     4113 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      Jeff Johnson and Donna Bergstrom   243   18.18%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Tim Walz and Peggy Flanagan   1022   76.44%   
Grassroots - Legalize Cannabis      Chris Wright and Judith Schwartzbacker   46   3.44%   
Libertarian      Josh Welter and Mary O'Connor   26   1.94%   
Secretary of State     4113 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      John Howe   242   18.92%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Steve Simon   969   75.76%   
Independence      William Denney   67   5.24%   
Write-In      WRITE-IN**   1   0.08%   
State Auditor     4113 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      Pam Myhra   259   20.41%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Julie Blaha   881   69.42%   
Legal Marijuana Now      Michael Ford   82   6.46%   
Libertarian Party      Chris Dock   47   3.70%   
Attorney General     4113 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Republican      Doug Wardlow   266   20.78%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      Keith Ellison   939   73.36%   
Grassroots - Legalize Cannabis      Noah M. Johnson   71   5.55%   
Write-In      WRITE-IN**   4   0.31%   
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »

Lol
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »

Approximately 100% of the people I know from West Virginia are Democrats, so Republicans are doomed in West Virginia!!!!
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »

dunno man, I'm starting to think they might
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »

In an increasingly diverse and educated electorate, the GOP siphoning off these votes will ultimately hurt them quite badly with younger voters.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »

dunno man, I'm starting to think they might
Well now that you think so... Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 11:08:19 PM »

This all may be true of the people of your generation you know. There is no obvious reason for you to extrapolate to the people you do not know. Polls are showing something very different.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »

This all may be true of the people of your generation you know. There is no obvious reason for you to extrapolate to the people you do not know. Polls are showing something very different.

What pollsHuh The oldest of Gen Z was 18 this election. Last I checked, under 18s don't get polled.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »

What pollsHuh The oldest of Gen Z was 18 this election. Last I checked, under 18s don't get polled.

Pew’s definition of GenZ, FWIW, defines those who are age 6-21 right now. Polls before the election and the exit poll of 18-24 year-olds have shown that this generation still favors the Democrats overwhelmingly.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »

Pew’s definition of GenZ, FWIW, defines those who are age 6-21 right now. Polls before the election and the exit poll of 18-24 year-olds have shown that this generation still favors the Democrats overwhelmingly.

We won't get a really good segmentation of Gen Z voters until 2024. First-time voter numbers, in my state at least, were more telling and favored Republicans more than returning voters.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies