Which of these classes do you fit in right now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:07:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of these classes do you fit in right now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Upper old money

Upper

Upper / Upper-middle new money

Middle

Upper prole

Middle prole

Lower prole

Destitute

Bottom

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Which of these classes do you fit in right now?  (Read 1554 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:02:49 PM »

Freedom Idea. Corperations are what hold our Economy together, not the poor middle class. Corporations are the reason we have everything we have today. which is why why we should keep this practice and even cut taxes for corporations. Without Corporations The USA/Canada Could become Third world countries.

Horrible idea. The idea of government representing economic ownership and institutional power instead of the people is a new form of feudalism. People have good cause to not fully trust ownership and management of their employers to represent the social optimum. Besides, a miner and a steel worker probably have more in common with each other than they have with the mine owner and a mill owner, respectively. Class identity is real, as says the late Paul Fussell, from top to bottom:

1. Upper out-of-sight... really, really old money that does not go in for lavish display.

2. Upper -- people rich without ever been a member of any 'lower' class, of course through inheritance. Business executives are often here.

3. Upper-middle -- successful entrepreneurs who have 'made it' of their own efforts and high-level entrepreneurs (typically in medicine and law, also the successful university professors)

4. Middle -- small-business owners, professionals less successful (like accountants, dentists,  engineers, geologists, computer programmers, and most 'educators') and successful salespeople

-- There is no lower middle class, a class that existed when clerks had the privilege of 'solid' high-school educations. Teachers and engineers have gone middle-class, and clerks have gone typically into the class of their spouses.

5. High-prole: skilled workers, blue-collar supervisors, operators of really-complex machinery (like construction cranes and locomotives), nurses, police, fire-fighters, and prison guards

6. Mid-prole: semi-skilled workers who operate machines (even if the machines are cash registers or taxi cabs) or work on assembly lines

7. Low-prole. Laborers, cleaners, and servants who have at least seasonal work.

8. Destitute. People who depend upon suspect income, such as welfare or crime; the homeless. They manage to keep nominal freedom. Even gangsters who might have huge incomes typically have the hallmarks of this class: little education, low intelligence, and superstition.

9. Bottom out-of-sight. Such people are incarcerated in prisons, mental wards, and  long-term hospital care.

...Does anyone think that a construction laborer who pushes a wheelbarrow has much in common with the real estate tycoon, or that a dairy laborer has much in common with the owner of the dairy? Corporatism suggests such.   

AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »

None
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »

Our household income is around £20,000 or around $25,500. My mum runs a small business which is the source of most of the family income. Normally I say lower middle class, but since that has been ruled out by this poll, I'll go with upper prole.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »

no idea. I make a little over 55k/yr which is pretty middle-class but also I'm only 22 and live in a town that Wikipedia says has a median household income of 19k, so you know maybe I'm doing pretty good.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »

I make a salary in the mid-50s at age 22 and occasionally get gifts from family on top of that.  I'm in a wealthy area, but I still have a roughly median income (though it doesn't feel like that when looking at other houses in the area).  My family is definitely upper class though, but (outside of occasional gifts) I am just living off my salary.  I'd probably be middle-class if you only look at my income, but I don't have debt and am pretty comfortably, so maybe upper-middle is the best way to explain it.  But, it's hard to say that in McMansionville when you live in a nice apartment building that literally opened weeks ago (but only have 650 square feet).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »

Somewhere between Middle and Upper Prole.  The family unit might hit $100k combined this year (the vast majority of that from me, semi-educated blue collar work is what I would call my gig), but we're supporting 4.5 people, but we live in a cheapish part of the town in a cheapish part of the country.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »

I'm an accountant so middle.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »

Middle class.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2018, 05:17:09 PM by Torie »

I am not sure which class I fit in as described above.

My parents lived a pretty lavish life style and paid for my education all the way up the line, including 8 years of higher education. However, the money I have is mostly money that I have earned during my professional career (much of it plowed into real estate over the decades), with inheritance being relatively insignificant. I try to mask my wealth, and loathe ostentatious display. Buying stuff does very little for me, as does expensive vacations or lodging, etc. I enjoy living shoulder to shoulder with people of all backgrounds, and do. I am brooding about how to handle what happens when I kick the bucket.

What class is the above? In some ways it seems old upper to me, although my parents were certainly not upper class.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »

Low of the low of the petty bourgeoisie (IMO?--either that or contemporary non-blue collar prole). Middle class background, but the options presented give me no choice in terms of my current status. You could only call me a "machine operator" if that machine is a desktop computer or certain websites accessed through such.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 01:52:39 PM »

Upper Middle Class
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 02:21:01 AM »

I'm a minor, but our household income is ~$370,000 which is pretty normal for a white family in Northern Virginia but doesn't really get you the hallmarks of wealth (a big house, fancy cars) considering the cost of living. So I guess upper-middle?

No son. You is rich.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 02:27:59 AM »

Upper prole raised in a mid-low prole household. Dad taxi driver, mum cleaner.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »

Nah man I decided I'm the upper old money because nobody can tell me anything about myself when u believe in urself u can be anything don't let anyone dull ur sparkle guys. F!ck those crabs in the bucket, show everyone who ever doubted u why they're stupid and make them feel worthless in comparison to you because you're on your hustle and they're just losers.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 02:46:16 AM »

Raised upper-middle and grew up in a semi-rural suburb, even if we didn't make that much money living in NV, my parents did in NY, and thus we had enough money on hand for my dad to retire at 52, and are now down to 1 working parent. Of course, being an only child also helped.

Yet my politics would be referred to as Purple heart #populist by some on here so go figure.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:46:14 AM »

Father is a factory worker is so middle prole, mother works in a kindergarten but earns less than father, so I guess overall it's middle prole.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

The highest and classiest, of course.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »

Upper Middle growing up, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to live that life again.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »

Looks to be upper prole, which sounds about right.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »

N/A, graduate students, highly skilled and experienced professionals who are honing their skills further while they're paid a very low lump sum, are in a class all of their own.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »

Definitely upper-middle class.  Both of my parents are university professors and I've been educated at large "name brand" state schools for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees.  I grew up in a family very involved with the social/political goings-on in my community, but we've never been "old money".

I think social class has a lot more to do with the type of environment you grow up and are socialized in than how much money you make. 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »

Middle-class to upper middle-class growing up, now in the postgraduate flexible contract phase where you are severely underpaid but still work a decidedly white-collar job requiring an academic background. Like some others, I'd say I'm middle-class but don't have a middle-class income... not sure how long this phase will last. At this point, not making less money than now in a couple of months is my priority. Don't have any problems making ends meet and can afford to make international trips about every two months, but it should at least stay that way.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »

2.5?  I'm closer to 2, my parents would be solidly 3.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »

Idk where uni students fall under this, but I come from a mid/lower prole household.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies