MD Gov 2022
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:11:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD Gov 2022
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MD Gov 2022  (Read 1541 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »

https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/11/the-early-line-on-marylands-political-landscape-in-2022/

Who do Dems pick, and could reps snatch it if Hogan remains popular?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »

My prior is that no matter what it's going to be an uphill fight for Republicans. No matter how popular Hogan is if he's not on the ballot, it's up to a new Republican (even Boyd Rutherford) to win over Democrats. There's already underlying pressure from an eight year itch, incredibly strong anti-Republican sentiment in the state, plus who knows what the state of the National Republican party will be in 2022. It's worth noting that Hogan already won because of the perfect storm in 2014: horrible non-incumbent candidate, plus nationwide R-wave, plus low turnout. Those things are unlikely to happen again in 2022, even I think if a Dem wins the Presidency.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 12:54:53 PM »

My prior is that no matter what it's going to be an uphill fight for Republicans. No matter how popular Hogan is if he's not on the ballot, it's up to a new Republican (even Boyd Rutherford) to win over Democrats. There's already underlying pressure from an eight year itch, incredibly strong anti-Republican sentiment in the state, plus who knows what the state of the National Republican party will be in 2022. It's worth noting that Hogan already won because of the perfect storm in 2014: horrible non-incumbent candidate, plus nationwide R-wave, plus low turnout. Those things are unlikely to happen again in 2022, even I think if a Dem wins the Presidency.
I hold a similar view. The only way I see this being competitive is if Jealous wins the nomination again.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »

Honestly it's way to early to say. If Trump is still president, then solid D. If a Dem is president, then it'll depend on the national mood, and the quality of the candidates. Allan Kittleman would be my ideal next Republican nominee but not sure if he can win the primary
History505
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »

Extremely early to even know anything.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

Republicans should nominate Matt Rosendale.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »

Honestly it's way to early to say. If Trump is still president, then solid D. If a Dem is president, then it'll depend on the national mood, and the quality of the candidates. Allan Kittleman would be my ideal next Republican nominee but not sure if he can win the primary
Do you think Hogan remains popular?
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »

It's really far away but I think Hogan would win again if he would run. If he doesn't run the Democrats would win the seat.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »

Let's not forget how much of a surprise was Hogan's 2014 win. It also happened in the middle of a perfect environment for him.

If it's a second Trump midterm, it's probably Safe D. If it's a D President midterm, probably Likely D.
History505
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »

It's really far away but I think Hogan would win again if he would run. If he doesn't run the Democrats would win the seat.
Hogan is term-limited in 2022.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »

If Trump is President in 2022, even Anthony Brown would win lol
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »

Rashurn Baker, hopefully. He should try again
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »

Rosendale Mooney ticket
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 03:15:28 AM »

Yeah, it'll go D in 2022, but if Hogan remains popular and successful, I could see Maryland being like other northeastern states and electing more GOP governors further down the road. Is it possible that Hogan runs for president in 2024?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:02 AM »

I doubt he beats a Dem incumbent in 2024, since the country wont have deficits, since tax cuts will be rescinded. Then, Dems can build the wall and cut Social Security for the rich

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »

Yeah, it'll go D in 2022, but if Hogan remains popular and successful, I could see Maryland being like other northeastern states and electing more GOP governors further down the road. Is it possible that Hogan runs for president in 2024?

The problem with that is twofold. The MDGOP, as well as other Northern parties such as the MAGOP, MEGOP, and VTGOP have become more and more trumpified as time goes on, with Baker and Scott only getting by their "easy" primary with 65% of the vote, and CT pushing for a Trumpian candidate for governor. It will be harder to win over the New England Is and Ds with candidates like that.

The other problem is how decimated Rs were in the state. Hogan was suppose to carry some people over the finish line, break the supermajority, etc. But instead, the party was completely destroyed downballot. It will be harder to find a qualified, A+ candidate without a bench.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »

The problem with that is twofold. The MDGOP, as well as other Northern parties such as the MAGOP, MEGOP, and VTGOP have become more and more trumpified as time goes on, with Baker and Scott only getting by their "easy" primary with 65% of the vote, and CT pushing for a Trumpian candidate for governor. It will be harder to win over the New England Is and Ds with candidates like that.

The other problem is how decimated Rs were in the state. Hogan was suppose to carry some people over the finish line, break the supermajority, etc. But instead, the party was completely destroyed downballot. It will be harder to find a qualified, A+ candidate without a bench.

One more rare case where i completely agree. Sadly. Because, as i said many times, one-party dominance is always bad. Hence why i am absolutely rooting for Democrats in present day South, and very frequently - for Republicans in New England..
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »

How many voters even know who Rutherford is?  It's not like the voters separately elect the Lt. Governor like in Georgia and Nevada.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »

To return to the question at hand, I think Tom Perez will probably run in 2022. He probably would have earlier if he wasn't DNC chair.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »

Tom Perez wouldnt run for Gov, he would likely be a lobbyist, Rashurn Baker should try again
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »

I doubt Kittleman will gain much traction. Aside from him probably being too moderate for the Republican primary electorate, he's been tainted by his reelection loss.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »

I doubt Kittleman will gain much traction. Aside from him probably being too moderate for the Republican primary electorate, he's been tainted by his reelection loss.

I don't disagree, just saying that he is my preference cuz he's my kind of Republican. The depressing thing is that I don't believe that Hogan could have won the R primary in the era of Trump (he won the 2014 primary a year before Trump announced).

Dems have quite a bench of candidates now with all the county execs.

As for the question if Hogan will still be popular in 4 years.. who knows. 2 term execs tend to lose steam but I think it'll party be the result of broader political winds
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »

Hopefully politicalmasta will actually vote for the dem in 2022.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »

Y'all are ridiculous with this "Matt Rosendale is a Marylander" attack. The only reason Montana is growing as it is, is because of transplants. He's hardly alone in relocating to a western state. He was elected to the Montana legislature in 2010, and to a statewide office in 2016. He's now a Montanan.... contrast that with Hillary Rodham Clinton, who decided she was suddenly a New Yorker 5 minutes before running for Senate so she could find relevance after the White House.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies