Which of the 2016 Republicans is the strongest candidate for 2024 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:06:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which of the 2016 Republicans is the strongest candidate for 2024 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: (Excluding Trump and Pataki)
Ted Cruz

Marco Rubio

John Kasich

Ben Carson

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Carly Fiorina

Rand Paul

Rick Santorum

Rick Perry

Bobby Jindal

Lindsey Graham

Scott Walker

Jim Gilmore

Mike Huckabee

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Which of the 2016 Republicans is the strongest candidate for 2024  (Read 3759 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: December 29, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »

If Trump loses in 2020 - Marco Rubio. Rubio's going to be able to say with confidence that the "Trump revolution" was a bust, and probably be able to convert the GOP back to the traditional Neo-Conservatism ways.

If Trump wins in 2020 - Ted Cruz. He's the closest to Trump in terms of overall agenda.

I could see Cruz being the Bob Dole or John McCain of 2024. Ya know the guy that was runner up in the last open primary (2016 in this case) that's put up to take one for the team.

This.

I could see Cruz being the Bob Dole or John McCain of 2024. Ya know the guy that was runner up in the last open primary (2016 in this case) that's put up to take one for the team.

Or like the Mike Huckabee

He's put up to play up the "he lost because he's a southern Republican" narrative and then some moderate guy beats him out in a random come from behind victory (no one saw McCain coming until kind of late in 2008 primaries)

Not true. He was the front-runner for the nomination at the start of the campaign cycle in early 2007. Yeah, he ended up crashing big-time between then & the resurgence that came w/ the actual start of the primaries & caucuses, but to say that no one saw him coming until late in the primary season is kinda disingenuous lol
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 03:28:50 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2018, 03:32:27 AM by brucejoel99 »

If Trump goes two terms, he will have completely transformed the party in his image. There will be a wave of Trump-ites in Congress who rode his coattails to power, one of which will probably be announced by Trump as his handpicked successor. That candidate will have the full weight of Fox News and the right wing media establishment behind him, and will be an absolute juggernaut.

I don't really see anyone in that list fitting that bill.

Also this. It's a much more likely outcome that the 2024 nominee (regardless of the 2020 result) is a loyal(-ish) Trumpist (whether it be Pence, Haley, or somebody else) who didn't run in 2016.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »

If Trump goes two terms, he will have completely transformed the party in his image. There will be a wave of Trump-ites in Congress who rode his coattails to power, one of which will probably be announced by Trump as his handpicked successor. That candidate will have the full weight of Fox News and the right wing media establishment behind him, and will be an absolute juggernaut.

I don't really see anyone in that list fitting that bill.

Also this. It's a much more likely outcome that the 2024 nominee (regardless of the 2020 result) is a loyal(-ish) Trumpist (whether it be Pence, Haley, or somebody else) who didn't run in 2016.

Not that anything regarding Trump makes a lick of logic or sense, but I would think that Fox News's love affair with Trump goes only as far as he's useful for cultivating their audience. If he crashes and burns, does Fox News remain the Trump Propaganda Network, or do they move on?

If Trump is somehow President in 2023, however (shudder), his official endorsement for successor will be hyped for weeks, and he'll make the announcement at a rally broadcast in prime time. I will personally barf if it comes to that.

Nah, they wouldn't abandon Trump unless/until they have a popular (i.e. w/ the base) replacement ready. That'd take quite the crashing & burning lol
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies