Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:48:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall  (Read 2137 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »

Trump wins by losing the popular vote by almost 3 million votes (2.1%), and Republicans get blown out in the midterms 2 years later, and according to Reaganfan, it's actually the non-Trump supporters who live on a "entirely different wavelength than much of the country." Right.

This is why it's pointless to debate things with him. He's living in an alternate reality. There is no way to reconcile that here. And what a reality it is - a place where half the country burns perpetually, and undocumented immigrants roam the streets like zombies, devouring working class white people day and night, as liberal coastal elites look on from a distance in their ivory towers while sipping martinis and giggling.

You should have seen him during the Bush years!  He just follows the Republican Party zeitgeist no matter where it takes him.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 10:21:09 PM »

"When the president is bragging about winning North Dakota and Indiana then you know he's in trouble." ~Chuck Schumer

Lmao

Lol

the thing is though, democrats dont need florida

Really, that's the one and only thing that you had to say to SirWoodbury's post?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 11:44:59 PM »

After seeing certain claims here, I had to check out responses to this, uh, conversation? on T_D. It gave me cognitive dissonance. They saw it as Trump "owning" Schumer and Pelosi, with their requests to move this debate off-camera as proof of their "swampiness."

While obviously folks on T_D are not the majority or anything like that, it truly amazes me that people can have such different opinions after watching the same thing I did. Obviously perception leads to a spectrum of opinions, but that some people can see this as the president smacking down the Dems while others (including me) see it displaying his complete lack of knowledge and inability to negotiate.... It's just really hard to see how we get past this and communicate with each other effectively when we're viewing things so differently.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:01 AM »

LOL:

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2018, 12:29:58 AM »

LOL:

Noooooo .... come on.
I can believe the part where he is pissed, but the Pence part ..... really?
But OMG, this would be absolutely hilarious if true.

If I were Pence, I would tell the Orange Moron not to invite me to any future clownish meetings he is having that will be covered by the media.
I mean, I believe this was suppose to be a completely private meeting, and it was trump's idea to bring the media in at the last minute. So trump thought he could play this game, and end-up on top.
Instead he got chopped at the knees, and he is going to blame Pence?
What the hell is that about?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2018, 01:57:36 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 02:01:05 AM by The Voice of America »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. The popular vote is irrelevant. Most of Hillary's PV margin came from Los Angeles County, much of which is, and I'm sure millions of Americans would agree, hardly representative of our country at large. Take away L.A. and suddenly the popular vote is pretty much tied. But again to my original point, the popular vote is irrelevant.

2. The 2018 Midterms were not a "blow out". DeWine won the Gov of OH, DeSantis saved us from Andrew Gillum. Reynolds held on in Iowa, and Brian Kemp gave Stacey Abrams the boot. As far as the Senate, we swept out four incumbent Democrats and held two open seats. Yes we lost 40 seats in the House, but if you compare this to Obama's first midterm, that was far and away worse. The Dems lost 63 seats, and lost 5 Senate seats in 2010. This year the GOP lost 40 seats and gained 2 seats in the Senate. By any stretch, this year was better for Republicans than 2010 was for Democrats. Period. It might not have been a fantastic night, but it was much better for the GOP than it could have been.

As far as President Trump, as of the last two days he is hovering anywhere between 42% and 50% depending on what poll you look at, the same polls that consistently underestimate the strength of the GOP. Not to mention the huge anti-Trump vote margins on the two coasts rack up big negatives for him nationwide.

Did I say anything that is false?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2018, 02:07:55 AM »

... Most of Hillary's PV margin came from Los Angeles County, much of which is, and I'm sure millions of Americans would agree, hardly representative of our country at large. Take away L.A. and suddenly the popular vote is pretty much tied ...

What an ignorant thing to say.
Exclude an entire county or state or other area, because you think it doesn't represent "you."
Seriously?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:43 AM »

... Most of Hillary's PV margin came from Los Angeles County, much of which is, and I'm sure millions of Americans would agree, hardly representative of our country at large. Take away L.A. and suddenly the popular vote is pretty much tied ...

Exclude an entire county or state or other area, because you think it doesn't represent "you."
Seriously?

I've been there. Beautiful scenery, but population wise, it doesn't represent anything like the midwest U.S., believe me.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2018, 02:49:01 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 03:00:38 AM by Ogre Mage »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/dec/11/donald-trump-government-shut-down-chuck-schumer-white-house-video

lol, Orange Foolius just gave Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi a great early Christmas present.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/us/politics/nancy-pelosi-trump.html

https://twitter.com/hardball/status/1072645340212445184

Orange Foolius looks flaccid these days.  
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2018, 02:54:29 AM »

I love how he just couldn't help but dive deeper and deeper into that argument, regardless of bad it was turning out, and Pelosi/Schumer were happy to egg him on for soundbites.

He's like an internet forum user!
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2018, 03:07:05 AM »

Haven’t his entire campaign and presidency basically like that?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2018, 03:22:44 AM »

Seriously?

I've been there. Beautiful scenery, but population wise, it doesn't represent anything like the midwest U.S., believe me.

Newsflash, basement dweller, the Midwest isn't representative of most of America either.

Why don't you just come out and say it? It's full of blacks, Mexicans and Asians? Which means it doesn't represent your extremely outdated and grossly inaccurate view of America outside of ethnic restaurants, which is also incidentally like you, incredibly racist.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2018, 03:24:35 AM »

I love how he just couldn't help but dive deeper and deeper into that argument, regardless of bad it was turning out, and Pelosi/Schumer were happy to egg him on for soundbites.

What really made me laugh was Pelosi's comment to Congressional Democrats after the meeting with the so-called President:

At any rate, if the government does get shut down, Democrats should use "I am proud to shut down the government" in nonstop attack against this lily White House.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »

1. The popular vote is irrelevant. Most of Hillary's PV margin came from Los Angeles County, much of which is, and I'm sure millions of Americans would agree, hardly representative of our country at large. Take away L.A. and suddenly the popular vote is pretty much tied. But again to my original point, the popular vote is irrelevant.

Wait, why can't I do that with all of the heavy Trump leaning areas? They're also not representative of the country at large. If I start eliminating the votes of the counties on this list:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/counties-voted-most-heavily-trump-204100382.html

I can eventually make Hilary's PV lead twice as big.

Yes you're right the popular vote has no bearing on who becomes President, but the people of LA still count. California wouldn't have 55 EVs without LA.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »

Seriously?

How can you call yourself the voice of America when dems just won the house PV by 8.6%? You seem completely socially detached from the rest of America given the 2018 results
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »

Just say that the PV becomes relevant when Trump wins it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »

Reagan won LA county twice. I would expect a real fan of Reagan to know that.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »

2. The 2018 Midterms were not a "blow out". DeWine won the Gov of OH, DeSantis saved us from Andrew Gillum. Reynolds held on in Iowa, and Brian Kemp gave Stacey Abrams the boot. As far as the Senate, we swept out four incumbent Democrats and held two open seats. Yes we lost 40 seats in the House, but if you compare this to Obama's first midterm, that was far and away worse. The Dems lost 63 seats, and lost 5 Senate seats in 2010. This year the GOP lost 40 seats and gained 2 seats in the Senate. By any stretch, this year was better for Republicans than 2010 was for Democrats. Period. It might not have been a fantastic night, but it was much better for the GOP than it could have been.

As far as President Trump, as of the last two days he is hovering anywhere between 42% and 50% depending on what poll you look at, the same polls that consistently underestimate the strength of the GOP. Not to mention the huge anti-Trump vote margins on the two coasts rack up big negatives for him nationwide.

Did I say anything that is false?
You say that, but you failed to mention any victories in the three states that matter: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. If he can't win those it's over and the fact that Democrats won all the key races in those states and the house popular vote is a bad sign for Trump. Those are the three states he has to win and right now they don't look very favorable for him. The house popular vote in all three states was D+10.16 in Pennsylvania, D+7.68 in Michigan and D+7.59 in Wisconsin.

I know midterms aren't the best indicators of Presidential elections. However, I will say this time is different because turnout (50%) was close to a Presidential year unlike 2010 and 2014. Trump can win Ohio, North Carolina, Florida and it won't matter if he loses those three Midwest states.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2018, 01:03:44 PM »

I’ve never understood this argument. “If you take away the place where the most people live, the Trump actually got more votes.” Uh...so what?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »

Now would be the perfect time, with Republicans still in full control of both houses of Congress.   
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »

I’ve never understood this argument. “If you take away the place where the most people live, the Trump actually got more votes.” Uh...so what?

Well, it is "just one county". Except, of course, it has a bigger population than all but 9 states in the US (California included). Surely it is more representative of the US than, say, Wyoming Smiley
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »

LOL:

Noooooo .... come on.
I can believe the part where he is pissed, but the Pence part ..... really?
But OMG, this would be absolutely hilarious if true.

If I were Pence, I would tell the Orange Moron not to invite me to any future clownish meetings he is having that will be covered by the media.
I mean, I believe this was suppose to be a completely private meeting, and it was trump's idea to bring the media in at the last minute. So trump thought he could play this game, and end-up on top.
Instead he got chopped at the knees, and he is going to blame Pence?
What the hell is that about?

Donnie the Dunning-Kreuger poster boy only takes credit, never responsibility.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 04:01:48 PM by AudmanOut »

Reagan won LA county twice. I would expect a real fan of Reagan to know that.
He also lived there most of his life, so Reaganfan is saying Reagan didn’t vote didn’t count.Also that is extremely insulting Ohio and Michigan are just two states who should they help decide the presidency?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies