Chet edwards come back?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:10:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chet edwards come back?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chet edwards come back?  (Read 860 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2018, 08:31:01 AM »
« edited: December 12, 2018, 10:41:39 AM by Ohio is the New Missouri »

Chet edwards was a moderate blue dog in the most republican district in the country. However during the 2010 sweep he lost by 25 points in his Waco based district. In the 2010s the GOP decided to gerrymander Austin splitting it up and part of ithe was given to Bill Flores who represents the 17th district or Edwards district.
It looked like the districh was completely lost as it voted for Romney by 25 points. However in 2018 ted cruz only won it by 9 points

If chet edwards decided to make a comeback by how many points would he lose by?

Note this topic is only semi serious as I joked around about all the blue dogs making a comeback after 2010 but I could see a blue dog dem doing ok here with a strong top of the ticket. They would probably still lose but I think Edwards  makes it Likely R. It would be interesting to see him comeback.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 09:10:10 AM »

55 posts a day since November? Someone needs to slow down.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »

It's a D trending area and he'd be a strong candidate so chances are he'd be able to keep it within a few points.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

It's a D trending area and he'd be a strong candidate so chances are he'd be able to keep it within a few points.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »

Retreads suck
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »

After the vicious 2004 mid decade TX redistricting, Republicans wanted to destroy the legacy white blue dog's and turn the Democratic party of TX into a black/brown party. Chet Edwards was one of the few blue dogs to survive after the 2004 TX redistricting.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »

After the vicious 2004 mid decade TX redistricting, Republicans wanted to destroy the legacy white blue dog's and turn the Democratic party of TX into a black/brown party. Chet Edwards was one of the few blue dogs to survive after the 2004 TX redistricting.

yeah I don't think that stays anymore. If the TExas GOP doesn't create a white dem austin sink they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyway as I said Chet edwards is a bit of a joke but of all the blue dogs in super mccain districts he could conceivably make a comeback and actually has a path.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »

He would be the strongest candidate Dems could hope to get, though I don't think he would actually win (see KY-06 Amy McGrath for example). But at the least he could probably make Bill Flores actually have to campaign, and I doubt anyone else could do that.

The current TX-17 is definitely more Dem than the one he lost in 2010. The parts of that TX-17 (the northern part of the district in the DFW exurbs) was removed in redistricting and replaced with part of North Austin/Pflugerville. That slice of North Austin has grown a lot in population and also gotten more Dem. And the parts of the old TX-17 that Edwards was relatively strong in (Waco and College Station) remain in the current TX-17. Brazos County also has been trending Dem, both in 2016 and 2018.

In the end though, there are much better targets in TX than TX-17. And there is actually even a better target for Chet Edwards himself.

Actually the best path for Chet Edwards would be to run in TX-31 instead. He used to represent Bell County prior to the Delaymander and was popular there, with a lot of support from veterans. And actually, after the Delaymander there was a thought that he might run in TX-31 rather than TX-17 even then.

So if Hegar runs for Senate instead of for TX-31 again, Chet Edwards would be a strong recruit for TX-31. Chet Edwards could win TX-31 by cutting the margin in Bell County and doing as well as any other Dem would do in Williamson County.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies