Castro forms presidential exploratory committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:24:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Castro forms presidential exploratory committee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Castro forms presidential exploratory committee  (Read 1441 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/12/12/former-san-antonio-mayor-julian-castro-takes-step-toward-2020-presidential-run

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »

I was hoping that Ted Cruz and 2016 killed the point of these.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

Here's his website:

https://action.julianforthefuture.com/page/content/exploratory-committee

And here's the announcement video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9EdmaN-pZ4
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »

I don't understand why people think he'd make a good candidate. I'm not against him per se, but there's nothing to prove that either of the Castro brothers would be good candidates.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 11:14:34 AM »

Someone really wants that VP spot.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »

I don't understand why people think he'd make a good candidate. I'm not against him per se, but there's nothing to prove that either of the Castro brothers would be good candidates.
Hardly anyone thinks he'd make a good candidate. Was embarrassing how the media hyped him as the 'Hispanic Obama' in 2012.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »

Then he had better move to a new state and establish residency quickly. He can plausibly change his residency to MD/DC/VA (whichever he lived in while being HUD secretary).
History505
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »

Here we go...
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »

CASTROMANIA
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »

aaaaaaand thats 3 house members that are likely confirmed running.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

It's Julian.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »

I 'member when Atlas was slobbering over him and Joaquin
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »

It's Julian.

Even worse
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »

Absolutely garbage candidate. No charisma, no platform to run on. Beto is our man from TX.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »

A pretty low-energy video.
Joey1996

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »

Then he had better move to a new state and establish residency quickly. He can plausibly change his residency to MD/DC/VA (whichever he lived in while being HUD secretary).

Why would he do this? Unless you're saying Beto will be the nominee.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »

Im guessing this is your Beto shtick and your Beto nomination assumption and the problem with a VP and prez from the same state and something about the electoral college.

Anyway also lol at Julian Castro. WTF has he even done. No huevos. Beto made a suicide run and raised millions of dollars and completely rebuilt a party. Castro couldn't even run for Lt governor.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »

I know it's early but his announcement video only has 4K views and looks like 10K engagements on twitter (2K retweets, 7K likes) and he's not even trending on twitter. Needless to say I don't think he'd do much better than Delaney at this point, Ojeda may end up doing better than him.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

Not sure what that creepy deep whisper thing is that he kept doing.
Wang
Rookie
China

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »

Absolutely garbage candidate. No charisma, no platform to run on. Beto is our man from TX.
I agree that Castro is a bad candidate, but how can you justify believing that Billionaire Beto is any better?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »

Needless to say I don't think he'd do much better than Delaney at this point, Ojeda may end up doing better than him.

My hunch is that Castro is more likely than Ojeda to end up as enough of a realist to drop out before Iowa when it's clear that he's going nowhere.  Therefore, Ojeda might be more likely to get more votes than Castro simply because Castro is more likely to drop out before people start voting.

And Delaney's independently wealthy, so his campaign going broke is less of a worry.  And so again, he's probably more likely than Castro to still be in the race when the voting starts.

That said, I think Castro is more likely than either of them to be invited to the first debate.  Honestly, if you only need something like 2% or whatever in the polls to be invited to the debate, then just having a Latino last name might get you most of the way there.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »

He's the ethnic minority backup candidate, if Booker or Harris doesn't run. I am looking forward, to when Harris announces her candidacy, should she do it. Otherwise, if she doesn't run, its Castro or Booker for me.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 03:30:14 PM »

Albeit only an announcement for an exploratory committee, the announcement video has under 5000 views halfway through the day, and his channel hasn't even reached 100 subscribers yet.

Yikes.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »

NevadanAtHeart
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Leave it to the faux intellectualism of Atlas to dismiss a candidate out of hand. I'm no Castro supporter, but it's really hard to be a "bad candidate". Except maybe Delaney, but that's more of a bad campaign than a bad candidate. What makes a good candidate?

Solid public speaking skills? Most politicians don't actually have this, based on even a 30 minute look at C-SPAN, but certainly Secretary Castro has a good amount of it. People clearly liked and were energized by his DNC speech. Just saying "I don't like how he speaks" is a BS way to call out somebody's public speaking skills. Plenty of people didn't like Secretary Clinton's speaking style, but clearly it worked for her. Just saying "he's low energy" is remarkably Trumpian, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's literally proof of the opposite at one of the largest Democratic events of the decade. He's no Beto or Bernie, but he's definitely no slouch either.

Policy knowledge? This probably isn't sufficient to be a good candidate (ex. Martin O'Malley) but it's definitely necessary so as to avoid policy gaffes and questions about experience. He's managed and governed in a city with a diverse population and was involved as the head of one of the most public-facing Cabinet departments. He probably knows more about policy than Beto or pretty much any Representative. Maybe most governors too. He's got a unique perspective (being executive rather than legislative) than the litany of Senators usually don't have. Maybe it's not necessarily more valuable, but it's hardly comparable at least. It's just different.

Background or story? Okay. If you value this, then it's awfully ignorant to disregard growing up in a single-parent household with minority parents who were themselves first-generation Americans. Like I said, there's a lot yet to be determined with how he sells it, but if background is something that matters for you, then you got it here.

Other electoral x-factors like geography? I mean, he's probably less likely to win in Texas than Beto. But where he grew up informs a lot of his worldview. So see above.

You don't have to like him. You don't have to support him. But calling somebody who wants to shape their country for the better and seems to be guided by a self-imaged "why" a "garbage candidate", a "backup candidate", and things like that is some awful combination of lazy, privileged, dismissive, and arrogant.

People always like to ask why Democrats lose despite having good policies, why anti-intellectualism is so strong in America, why politics is broken. This thread (and most threads on this site) are a pretty good example of why. They just can't resist s#!tting on somebody from their self-constructed intellectual or moral ivory towers if they don't believe the "right" things or aren't the "right" candidate. This type of holier-than-thou argument is what leads to coronations and "inevitable" candidates.

TL;DR: Wait until you see the campaign to judge the candidate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies