Religion: The first alternative fact?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:04:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Religion: The first alternative fact?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Religion: The first alternative fact?  (Read 1291 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »

From the controversy stance surrounding the existence of Jesus to all the fantastical stories on events that could be better explained in naturalistic terms, has religion twists it's turns on lying to the public by giving them wishful thinking? Did God, if you believe Him, opted out of intervening the natural world, by not propagating the lies that religion has preach to millions across the world.

Why do people believe these stories when science has proven to be more accurate of everything in life then religion has ever been in it's entire existence.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »

Than*

Its*

Many people, unlike yourself, on both sides of the "debate" have no problem reconciling religion and science, too.  It is painfully simplistic to have a "take it or leave it" attitude about these two extremely important topics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »

This isn’t 2007 anymore, so this kind of question no longer makes you “deep”.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »

I'm always on the side of bad poets, but even so, this guy shouldn't quit his day job.
James Monroe

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »

I'm always on the side of bad poets, but even so, this guy shouldn't quit his day job.

Dan Baker is a good liberal, who is pushing an agenda that is against superstition and in favor of rationality. Baker is doing more for the liberal causes then any phony religious "liberals".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »

Dan Baker is a good liberal, who is pushing an agenda that is against superstition and in favor of rationality. Baker is doing more for the liberal causes then any phony religious "liberals".

Not being a liberal, I wouldn't know, but being a language and literature major, I do know bad poetry when I see it.
James Monroe

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 10:57:25 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:07:58 PM »

Science is a subset of philosophy. It does not, and cannot in principle encompass all knowledge. It is only able to address falsifiable hypotheses. The existence or non-existence of God is not a falsifiable hypothesis. Thus, the existence or non-existence of God should be considered through rational means rather than the scientific method.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »

Science is a subset of philosophy. It does not, and cannot in principle encompass all knowledge. It is only able to address falsifiable hypotheses. The existence or non-existence of God is not a falsifiable hypothesis. Thus, the existence or non-existence of God should be considered through rational means rather than the scientific method.

QED
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »

It's irritating when the proponents of scientism demonstrate that they don't even know how the discipline they're holding up as the be all and end all of human knowledge even works.

Judging from that tweet, that Baker fellow is a Philistine.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »

It's irritating when the proponents of scientism demonstrate that they don't even know how the discipline they're holding up as the be all and end all of human knowledge even works.

This is the sad result of specialization. You can have people who are smart, even brilliant, in their field; its importance to them almost necessarily warps their ability to understand things comprehensively. In this case, many of those in the material, physical, and biological sciences may be geared to think of problems and questions only in the terms they are programmed to think in.
James Monroe

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »

What other source of knowledge could be empirically used to determined the truth behind the universe that we are active participants of? I mean, philosophy is just another form of mumble-jumble schlock like religion that spoon-feds whetever makes the person feel good inside of itself. Any other form of spirituality that isn't religious in nature is a bunch of woo junk that has harmed the nation health status, with new-age belief being scientific proven to be detrimental to a person lifestyle, such as the belief in homeopathy. Science has no boundaries with regards to knowledge and finding the true meaning of our lives. If there is new evidence that a previous common held belief by scientists is debunked, they'll happily to accept that as the new factual information, as science isn't dogmatic nor driven by ideology like other forms of human expressionism. Science doesn't go crank and say "whoa, look what this un-certified healing does to me," science takes the steps to figure out if that is the right way to live out your lifestyle. Science in the coming years will further make spirituality of all forms irreverent with incoming generations finding the truth in the material world.

Baker is a world-class author and musician who escape the puerile Evangelical faith for a more reasonable and rational faith in the sciences.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »

Prophets: Jehovah(Moses or Jesus) uses the power of the divine to interject in the natural world. There is no proof of a living God, Ice Age Mammals turned into primates and humans through the dwarf gene; however, religion helps followers through ordeal of death(in the afterlife, dead meet their relatives, again), helps better explain to the living, more than the Big Bang theory.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »

What other source of knowledge could be empirically used to determined the truth behind the universe that we are active participants of? I mean, philosophy is just another form of mumble-jumble schlock like religion that spoon-feds whetever makes the person feel good inside of itself. Any other form of spirituality that isn't religious in nature is a bunch of woo junk that has harmed the nation health status, with new-age belief being scientific proven to be detrimental to a person lifestyle, such as the belief in homeopathy. Science has no boundaries with regards to knowledge and finding the true meaning of our lives. If there is new evidence that a previous common held belief by scientists is debunked, they'll happily to accept that as the new factual information, as science isn't dogmatic nor driven by ideology like other forms of human expressionism. Science doesn't go crank and say "whoa, look what this un-certified healing does to me," science takes the steps to figure out if that is the right way to live out your lifestyle. Science in the coming years will further make spirituality of all forms irreverent with incoming generations finding the truth in the material world.

Baker is a world-class author and musician who escape the puerile Evangelical faith for a more reasonable and rational faith in the sciences.

Roll Eyes
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »

Superstition is believing in things that you can't understand. Often religion is believing in things you can't understand. Isn't that a form of "blind faith"?
James Monroe

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »

Superstition is believing in things that you can't understand. Often religion is believing in things you can't understand. Isn't that a form of "blind faith"?

Religion IS all about believing in the superstition that is handed down by dogma. Concepts of hell and everlasting paradise based on what your preacher says in church, the derogating treatment of the gay community, hatred of non-believers, instigating violence around the world.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »

Religion IS all about believing in the superstition that is handed down by dogma. Concepts of hell and everlasting paradise based on what your preacher says in church, the derogating treatment of the gay community, hatred of non-believers, instigating violence around the world.
Some (I don't know how many) believe that non-believers will literally burn in hell, as strange as that may sound.
James Monroe

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »

Some (I don't know how many) believe that non-believers will literally burn in hell, as strange as that may sound.

Religious followers just want to burnish anyone who thinks different then their belief system. Their bronze-age fairy tales actively tells them that such rational people are the nadir of the world. Such a shame some progressive would subscribe to religion when the Gods are such homophobic, misogynist, racist, intolerant creatures ever known in ancient fiction.

For the record, I'm a Deist who believes God created a world where He doesn't intervene.
James Monroe

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »

Prophets: Jehovah(Moses or Jesus) uses the power of the divine to interject in the natural world. There is no proof of a living God, Ice Age Mammals turned into primates and humans through the dwarf gene; however, religion helps followers through ordeal of death(in the afterlife, dead meet their relatives, again), helps better explain to the living, more than the Big Bang theory.

Moses and Jesus are two fictional characters who should be known as creations of mankind.

What does religion explain to the living better than scientific facts as the Big Bang Theory and Evolution?
James Monroe

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »

To reconcile religion with science is a false dichotomy. Listen to The Amazing Randi and he'll lay it down calm and gently for the apologetics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmK4EUkUWf4
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »

To reconcile religion with science is a false dichotomy. Listen to The Amazing Randi and he'll lay it down calm and gently for the apologetics.

Huh? He barely addressed the topic at all, and had you posted what he'd said, which was mostly anecdotes about eating ice cream, you'd probably be getting a much different reaction.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »

Religious followers just want to burnish anyone who thinks different then their belief system. Their bronze-age fairy tales actively tells them that such rational people are the nadir of the world. Such a shame some progressive would subscribe to religion when the Gods are such homophobic, misogynist, racist, intolerant creatures ever known in ancient fiction.

For the record, I'm a Deist who believes God created a world where He doesn't intervene.

How is that a falsifiable hypothesis? I'm perfectly fine accepting that it isn't, and wouldn't take that to necessarily discredit that view. But, it is seemingly contrary to the position that all science is the only way of knowing things. How do you reconcile them? Also, posing any kind of position on these sorts of questions is philosophy by definition, so it would appear you have to allow for some place for philosophy beyond "mumble-jumble schlock like religion that spoon-feds whetever makes the person feel good inside of itself". Even if you argue that there are multiple right answers or no answers that are either right or wrong, or that all propositions are actually an illusion and thus there are not true or false statements, every possible permutation that I can think of (and I have good reason to think it truly is all possible permutations) do require some philosophy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 03:13:35 AM »

...holy sh*t you truly are terrible.
James Monroe

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 04:53:38 PM »

Huh? He barely addressed the topic at all, and had you posted what he'd said, which was mostly anecdotes about eating ice cream, you'd probably be getting a much different reaction.

Randi explained the scientific method in just a minute to demonstrate why faith couldn't reconcile with the principles of science. Religion texts are man-made written that have perpetuate elementary-minded adults into believing in these ludicrous fairy tales, without ever thinking logical how possible a story that could be. People want to believe there is something greater out there that makes life meaningful, I'm sorry to say that is not true in the cosmos we reside.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »

Get a room, LOL.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies