Students of color continue to lead calls for more identity-based spaces on campu
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:10:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Students of color continue to lead calls for more identity-based spaces on campu
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Students of color continue to lead calls for more identity-based spaces on campu  (Read 1331 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »

link-campus news org
You must be logged in to read this quote.
the inclusive zone is too inclusive
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:40:08 AM »

TFW Separate but Equal is back in vogue.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »

AU is for rich kids who can't get into GW.
James Monroe

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »

Beautiful move from the students! They should have zones to protect themselves, as white supremacists are storming the door rooms of our campuses today.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »

And GW is for rich kids who want to grow up to be Josh Lyman. 
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »

who cares just let ppl do whatever u know. like i dont get why ppl make such a big deal over stuff u know like really. no one should care about it race, the entire idea of race was just invented to control people anyway.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 03:12:48 PM »

dead0man continues to post useless threads
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »

...and can't get into Georgetown.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »

...and can't get into Georgetown.

Very different institution.  Georgetown actually has reputable programs in subjects other than being a self-serving WannabeWonk™
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »

College is indeed a special place.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »

Hey now, despite the fact we have trees and Corruption and undermining the democratic values of our country at the highest level, massive management fraud at the federal government, and utterly paralytic and increasingly undemocratic breakdown of direct representation, dead man is always there to let us know when some college might be acting a little PC.

The guy's got his eyes on what REALLY matters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »

I figured that stuff was getting taken care of by other posters.  Is it not?  Is it my job if it's not?

If you don't like what I post, you have two choices:ignore it like an adult or ...
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »

Shelby Steele pointed out that blacks on college/university campuses are more and more frequently seeking these kinds of exclusively minority sub-institutions, such as black "theme" dorms, black studies programs, and so on. He says that the phenomenon "redraws the ugly lines of segregation and protects more from our own doubts than from whites." (Source: Steele's book, "The Content of our Character.")
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »

Are we moving back to segregation? Everyone wants their own little enclave...
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »

TFW Separate but Equal is back in vogue.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »

Never have I been so ashamed of my generation...
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »

Hey now, despite the fact we have trees and Corruption and undermining the democratic values of our country at the highest level, massive management fraud at the federal government, and utterly paralytic and increasingly undemocratic breakdown of direct representation, dead man is always there to let us know when some college might be acting a little PC.

The guy's got his eyes on what REALLY matters.

http://www.theeagleonline.com/article/2018/12/students-of-color-continue-to-lead-calls-for-identity-based-spaces-on-campus

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think it's pretty alarming when public universities even entertain this sort of thing.  That it would be on the taxpayer dime is equally wrongheaded, whatever good intentions one may have about things like this.

We are either going to be a color-blind society or we are not.  We are either going to be about equality, or we are going to be about something else.  Perhaps all of those listening reverentially to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 1963 on both sides of the racial divide did not think it all the way through when they cheered on the notion of racial equality; what a high ideal it is and how difficult it would be to bring about.

I suggest we move toward THAT goal because it is GOD's standard.  Period.  Perhaps our continued existence as both a GREAT nation and a GOOD nation depends on this.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

I figured that stuff was getting taken care of by other posters.  Is it not?  Is it my job if it's not?

If you don't like what I post, you have two choices:ignore it like an adult or ...

Meh. It's not that I don't particularly like or dislike what you post, it's just amusingly irrelevant.

Seriously. It is without hyperbole that the entire political system and presidencies burning down around us and you habitually post libertard "news" articles about college is being PC and occasionally over the line zoning or Regulatory Agencies.

I mean, if that's what really ignites you out of all the things going on in the world today, that's fine. You do you. Just don't be shocked when you are being a one-note wonder about such matters earns a collective eye roll from most of the Forum.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »

Progressives in 2018: Stop posting articles about segregation, it's just a tiny of minority of people and you're scare mongering by blowing them out of proportion and making it seem like all college students want this

Progressives in 2020: Of course I support the right of POC students to have POC only spaces that exclude whites and if you don't, you're a racist
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »

The best evidence against racism is that people of any "race" can be... racist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »

I mean, if that's what really ignites you out of all the things going on in the world today, that's fine.
See, I think this is the rub here.  I don't think these things are the "most important things going on right now", those things tend to get taken care of here.  Black people wanting to self segregate on someone else's dime isn't a big deal, at all.  Especially not compared to whatever stupid thing the President said last night.

But it is funny.  It's ok if you don't find it funny, I'd imagine it's not funny to most people.  Which just makes it funnier to those of us that do find it funny.

Using the force of the govt to make citizens give money to businesses for no good reason is a lot less funny, admittedly, and it's still not as important as whatever stupid thing Trump did this morning, but it is important and it's something most people don't know or think about.  I understand some people like you don't think it's important.  For some reason you want poor people to keep giving money to rich people because the govt told them so, and that's ok, we're all wrong sometimes, but don't think for a second you whinging about me posting about it is going to make me stop.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »

I mean, if that's what really ignites you out of all the things going on in the world today, that's fine.
See, I think this is the rub here.  I don't think these things are the "most important things going on right now", those things tend to get taken care of here.  Black people wanting to self segregate on someone else's dime isn't a big deal, at all.  Especially not compared to whatever stupid thing the President said last night.

But it is funny.  It's ok if you don't find it funny, I'd imagine it's not funny to most people.  Which just makes it funnier to those of us that do find it funny.

Using the force of the govt to make citizens give money to businesses for no good reason is a lot less funny, admittedly, and it's still not as important as whatever stupid thing Trump did this morning, but it is important and it's something most people don't know or think about.  I understand some people like you don't think it's important.  For some reason you want poor people to keep giving money to rich people because the govt told them so, and that's ok, we're all wrong sometimes, but don't think for a second you whinging about me posting about it is going to make me stop.

I enjoy Dead0Mans periodic columns on obscure regulatory overreach and general dumb governance. I like never read Trump garbage on here because I can get that anywhere. The draw for me is unique content. If i wanted to read articles from lefties on how Trump is LITERALLY the worst and a nazi and a stupid liar I'd go to CNN or like any news website.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »

I enjoy Dead0Mans periodic columns on obscure regulatory overreach and general dumb governance. I like never read Trump garbage on here because I can get that anywhere. The draw for me is unique content. If i wanted to read articles from lefties on how Trump is LITERALLY the worst and a nazi and a stupid liar I'd go to CNN or like any news website.

Fair enough points (@ both of you).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies