Which Class of 2018 U.S. Senator-elect Republicans are presidential material?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:13:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which Class of 2018 U.S. Senator-elect Republicans are presidential material?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which Class of 2018 Republican Senate member is "presidential" material?
Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT)

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.)

Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.)

Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.)

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.)

Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-ND)

Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Which Class of 2018 U.S. Senator-elect Republicans are presidential material?  (Read 1983 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »

Which Republican Senator-elect out of the Class of 2018 other than former 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney potentially do you see as presidential material?

pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »

Rick Scott and Josh Hawley are the only ones I could see running, although Hawley is better VP material.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »

Hawley is Rubio 2.0.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »

Other than Mitt, NOTA
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »

Romney obviously is ''presidential material'', but he's not going to run again. Scott would be very well-qualified in 2024, but I don't really see what would make him so unique that he would win the Republican nomination against a dozen of other well-qualified or unique candidates. DeSantis is the most likely future GOP nominee from Florida, and I think Rubio 2024 is more likely than Scott 2024 too. I can definitely see Hawley running somewhere down the line. The rest is meh.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

Romney obviously is ''presidential material'', but he's not going to run again. Scott would be very well-qualified in 2024, but I don't really see what would make him so unique that he would win the Republican nomination against a dozen of other well-qualified or unique candidates. DeSantis is the most likely future GOP nominee from Florida, and I think Rubio 2024 is more likely than Scott 2024 too. I can definitely see Hawley running somewhere down the line. The rest is meh.
i think desanties 2024
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »

i think desanties 2024

Yeah, DeSantis and Cotton (maybe Kemp too if he somehow becomes more relevant) would be the most obvious ''unity'' candidates in the modern-day GOP. They'd probably be able to inherit the saner part of Trump's hardcore base while also being acceptable to donors and the conservative movement. I don't really see someone like Roy Moore popping up and winning the GOP presidential primary simply because in order to stand a serious chance you have to either be a major national politician or a major celebrity, and luckily the Blankenship/Moore/Stewart people ended up not getting elected to anything. But someone like Haley or Rubio winning also would be a bit of a stretch. Either 2024 will be a lost cause for the GOP and Pence is the sacrificial lamb (maybe if Trump wins in 2020?) or 2024 might be somewhat winnable and DeSantis or Cotton clears the field (and probably still loses 2024).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »

I think that Scott winning in a difficult midterm cycle in a key swing state makes him a serious candidate for the 2024 Republican nomination.

I guess I can't completely write off Romney, but I'm skeptical that the GOP would go back to him. He'd be 77 in 2024 and I doubt thing he fits quite as well in a more "populist" Republican Party. I think he'd be more of a kingmaker than a candidate.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »

I think that Scott winning in a difficult midterm cycle in a key swing state makes him a serious candidate for the 2024 Republican nomination.

I guess I can't completely write off Romney, but I'm skeptical that the GOP would go back to him. He'd be 77 in 2024 and I doubt thing he fits quite as well in a more "populist" Republican Party. I think he'd be more of a kingmaker than a candidate.

Does Romney even want to run anymore? He passed over 2016 and while a lot of donors were already backing Jeb he likely would atleast have been able to wage a credible campaign. Romney running in 2024 would just be insane.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »

i think desanties 2024

Yeah, DeSantis and Cotton (maybe Kemp too if he somehow becomes more relevant) would be the most obvious ''unity'' candidates in the modern-day GOP. They'd probably be able to inherit the saner part of Trump's hardcore base while also being acceptable to donors and the conservative movement. I don't really see someone like Roy Moore popping up and winning the GOP presidential primary simply because in order to stand a serious chance you have to either be a major national politician or a major celebrity, and luckily the Blankenship/Moore/Stewart people ended up not getting elected to anything. But someone like Haley or Rubio winning also would be a bit of a stretch. Either 2024 will be a lost cause for the GOP and Pence is the sacrificial lamb (maybe if Trump wins in 2020?) or 2024 might be somewhat winnable and DeSantis or Cotton clears the field (and probably still loses 2024).

Cotton is trying hard to scoop up the Racist Hick vote with his vehement lobbying against the criminal justice bill. He really wants them to know he wants dark people in jail for life just for smoking pot. I bet the Racist AR Hicks are loving it too and will reward him with an even larger victory margin in 2020. Win/win for him. He is appallingly Deplorable.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »

i think desanties 2024

Cotton is trying hard to scoop up the Racist Hick vote with his vehement lobbying against the criminal justice bill. He really wants them to know he wants dark people in jail for life just for smoking pot. I bet the Racist AR Hicks are loving it too and will reward him with an even larger victory margin in 2020. Win/win for him. He is appallingly Deplorable.

don't forget Kennedy too coz he was about to run for LA gov.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 05:02:14 PM »

i think desanties 2024

don't forget Kennedy too coz he was about to run for LA gov.

You know it's bad when you're unironically arguing that Donald Trump of all people is too friendly to minorities. Cotton is going hard after the Famous Mortimer vote.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

yeah but that can also help desanties
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »

i think desanties 2024

He does well enough on the ''son-in-law'' test, so I bet he convinces atleast some secretly racist white wine moms in Collin County to return to the GOP. RINO Tom (and OSR, and probably me as well) will be so happy.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »

All of them are terrible.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »

Senator Josh Hawley (R-Missouri)
If Trump wins election in 2020, then Hawley will run in 2024 (unsuccesfully)
If Trump loses election in 2020, then Hawley will run in 2028 (probably unsuccesfully in primary)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »

Romney, Scott, & Hawley

Romney's obviously not gonna run again.

If Trump is re-elected in 2020, then I'd say both Hawley & Scott would run in 2024. Of the two, Scott is more likely to win the nomination, but I don't think either would manage to do so.

If Trump isn't re-elected in 2020, then Scott will run in 2024 & Hawley will wait until 2028; Scott will not win the 2024 nomination, & I couldn't say whether or not Hawley would win or lose the 2028 nomination.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:02 AM »

i feel had rick scott wanted to run for president he would have done so by now. hawley i got a feeling will be a future president.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »

hawley could be a future president.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 09:04:23 AM »

watch him become president.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

i feel had rick scott wanted to run for president he would have done so by now. hawley i got a feeling will be a future president.

Speaking as somebody from FL, I'd say he didn't do it in 2016 b/c his poll numbers were in the tank then. He brought them way up w/ the hurricanes, though, & that's how he managed to recover enough to successfully run for the Senate, from where he can probably remain relatively popular going into 2024.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »

Rick Scott and Josh Hawley are the only ones I could see running, although Hawley is better VP material.
rick scott and hawley might be the 2024 ticket.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »

i think desanties 2024

I'd love to see DeSantis run. But I'd worry he would split the vote with Cruz and end up giving the nomination to a Rino like Nikki Haley or God-forbid even Charlie Baker
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 04:59:56 AM »

Scott’s getting old but he seems to be eyeing the presidency one day. He’s a former governor and senator from a huge swing state. Had Hillary run he’d certainly have ran in 2020.

Hawley is young and looks like he can be a big name in the senate en route to the presidency.

Romney had his go, and he probably won’t run again. Blackburn is another Bachmann-type who wouldn’t make it very far, and Braun and Cramer seem like backbenchers for life.

McSally, if she counts, could give it a go, but not if she gets a huge defeat in 2020.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies