R&P vs Democratic Underground Religion(Group)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:21:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  R&P vs Democratic Underground Religion(Group)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: R&P vs Democratic Underground Religion(Group)  (Read 1035 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:48:42 PM »

Contrast the two forum of discussion surrounding the topic of religion.

DU religion board actively challenges the dogma that pollutes the sink that is faith. Just look at how much critical free thinking these people have, while this forum is lacking the aggressive bent one needs in order to loudly proclaimed your religion. Just look at how much truth many of the posters constantly post about the indoctrination and bigotry of the church.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1218
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:54:58 PM »

We definitely could use a lot more people who think like you here.
This forum is becoming too much of a "Christians only" forum.
Just look at the number of threads for Christians only.
Very sad.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:01:40 PM »

DU religion board actively challenges the dogma that pollutes the sink that is faith. Just look at how much critical free thinking these people have, while this forum is lacking the aggressive bent one needs in order to loudly proclaimed your religion. Just look at how much truth many of the posters constantly post about the indoctrination and bigotry of the church.

I notice your actively challenging critical thought still has not deigned to answer the questions I asked you in your previous thread.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2018, 09:33:47 PM by RFayette »

Atlas is more religious than DemocraticUnderground, it seems.  But there have always been a mix of Christians and non-Christians here.  If you think your arguments aren't being heard or properly understood that challenge Christianity and other religions, then please tell us where we are in error.  But it's important to recognize that both religious and nonreligious people alike can value critical thinking and truth highly (or lowly!).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »

Very sad.

I'll grant that this board skews towards Christian topics, but there's only one in the first two pages that specifies Christian-only and that one is asking Christians to share their view of hell, so that specification was probably to prevent pointless "Hell doesn't exist" posts from antagonistic atheists. Tho it would've been interesting to get viewpoints from other religions that include a hell in their belief system.

No one's stopping people from starting threads about other faiths besides Christianity and Atheism (the number two belief system mentioned here).
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 09:42:45 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2018, 09:54:32 PM by You're not part of the solution= You're part of the problem. »

Very sad.

I'll grant that this board skews towards Christian topics, but there's only one in the first two pages that specifies Christian-only and that one is asking Christians to share their view of hell, so that specification was probably to prevent pointless "Hell doesn't exist" posts from antagonistic atheists. Tho it would've been interesting to get viewpoints from other religions that include a hell in their belief system.

No one's stopping people from starting threads about other faiths besides Christianity and Atheism (the number two belief system mentioned here).
It's a two way street. If Christians want to post here they don't need to get upset when their views are challenged. It seems pretty silly to be surprised if an atheist is going to challenge Christians who feel so emboldened when attacking atheism and making uniformed statements about what atheists believe as if atheists belonged to some vast conspiracy to persecute Christians. Also there seems to be a lot of tribalism and group think among a number of those here who identify as Christians. I haven't seen a lot of "warm and fuzzy" Christians on this site.
Also this forum would improve immensely if posters could lighten up a bit and not take everything so personally.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:34:39 AM »

Maybe it's because I don't make such arguments myself, I haven't particularly noticed "atheists believe ..." arguments by Christians here. I have noticed our resident Gnostic troll making many " Christians believe ... " posts.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:26:39 AM »

I would rather be surprised if those who professed un-belief were attracted to a board about religion, just as much as I would not expect someone with an apolitical disposition to come to Atlas to discuss politics. The existence of atheist activists is certainly a relevant point, but they are not really your typical nonbeliever, and even as a nonbeliever myself I rather like that we don't have a confluence of such types; I find that their grasp of theology rarely matches up to their conviction, to put it charitably.

I do wish we had more philosophy threads, though.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:24:30 AM »

I notice your actively challenging critical thought still has not deigned to answer the questions I asked you in your previous thread.

Ha rekt
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »

Atlas is more religious than DemocraticUnderground, it seems.  But there have always been a mix of Christians and non-Christians here.  If you think your arguments aren't being heard or properly understood that challenge Christianity and other religions, then please tell us where we are in error.  But it's important to recognize that both religious and nonreligious people alike can value critical thinking and truth highly (or lowly!).

This.  There is no "Christian bias" on Atlas ... it is my experience that many non-Christians want to enter any type of debate/discussion with the pre-established notion that Christians are "faith thinkers" and non-Christians are "logic thinkers," and any stray from this upsets them.  They're willing to be "civil" so long as the Christian in the argument concedes immediately that their beliefs are motivated by nothing but blind faith/they believe in their religion because it makes them *feel good*.  This is a completely ridiculous starting point, and anyone who comes in with that attitude form the get-go (like the OP) is not going to be debated or taken seriously.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »

Maybe it's because I don't make such arguments myself, I haven't particularly noticed "atheists believe ..." arguments by Christians here. I have noticed our resident Gnostic troll making many " Christians believe ... " posts.
I've seen some Christians here arguing that Christians agree on certain dogma. That dogma is what non-Christians challenge. I also don't think that someone who challenges the Atlas Borg collective is a troll. If his posts challenge you so much you are free to ignore them.
Christian dogma is very complex; I have no doubt about that.
If Christianity were about living a good life or following certain ethical standards, I would have no problem with it.* It could be about following a path, but people here seem more interesting in talking about dogma.
When in Rome... at when at atlas... it is futile to resist a culture (all over the internet btw), that is more interested in quarreling than in free and open discussion of ideas.

*and btw I know people who are Christians in real life who do walk the walk.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 01:38:08 AM »

Tho it would've been interesting to get viewpoints from other religions that include a hell in their belief system.

It would have been neat if somebody had had the opportunity to bring up the afterlife in Chinese folk religion in that thread.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »

Tho it would've been interesting to get viewpoints from other religions that include a hell in their belief system.

It would have been neat if somebody had had the opportunity to bring up the afterlife in Chinese folk religion in that thread.

Interesting.  Are animals meant to be regarded as less than a human being in Hell?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies