1928: Who would you have voted for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:42:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1928: Who would you have voted for?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ...
Herbert Hoover (R)

Al Smith (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: 1928: Who would you have voted for?  (Read 11994 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »

I am not sure without hindsight, as I am a product of the context in which I live. With hindsight, easily Al Smith, as Herbert Hoover was one of the worst Presidents who ever served (Herbert Hoover was a white supremacist, was economically illiterate, and implemented policies that worsened the Great Depression). I think that Al Smith would have pursued different economic policies that would have softened the blow of the Grea Depression and would have been much better on civil rights that Herbert Hoover.

If you think that Al Smith would have been much better on civil rights than Herbert Hoover, I think you are misguided as to how the Democratic Party worked in 1928.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »

I am not sure without hindsight, as I am a product of the context in which I live. With hindsight, easily Al Smith, as Herbert Hoover was one of the worst Presidents who ever served (Herbert Hoover was a white supremacist, was economically illiterate, and implemented policies that worsened the Great Depression). I think that Al Smith would have pursued different economic policies that would have softened the blow of the Grea Depression and would have been much better on civil rights that Herbert Hoover.

If you think that Al Smith would have been much better on civil rights than Herbert Hoover, I think you are misguided as to how the Democratic Party worked in 1928.
Even though the Democratic Party overall was anti-civil rights in 1928, Al Smith was opposed to the KKK, supported anti-lynching legislation, and passed several laws to increase racial equality as New York governor. On the other hand, Herbert Hoover was opposed to anti-lynching legislation, sought to diminish African-American political involvement in the Republican Party, and implemented a Mexican American repatriation campaign that met the modern legal standards of ethnic cleansing.

Because of those factors, I would say that Herbert Hoover’s legacy regarding civil rights is negative. Despite false promises to the contrary, Hoover did nothing to better the conditions for African-Americans, as well as Hispanic Americans. He was not above using racial tension and prejudice to his electoral advantage and whatever his legacy may be, he will not be remembered as a President who advanced the cause of civil rights. As such, I tend to believe that Al Smith would have been superior to Herbert Hoover on the issue of civil rights if he had been elected President in 1928.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2020, 02:29:46 AM »

Even though the Democratic Party overall was anti-civil rights in 1928, Al Smith was opposed to the KKK, supported anti-lynching legislation, and passed several laws to increase racial equality as New York governor. On the other hand, Herbert Hoover was opposed to anti-lynching legislation, sought to diminish African-American political involvement in the Republican Party, and implemented a Mexican American repatriation campaign that met the modern legal standards of ethnic cleansing.

Because of those factors, I would say that Herbert Hoover’s legacy regarding civil rights is negative. Despite false promises to the contrary, Hoover did nothing to better the conditions for African-Americans, as well as Hispanic Americans. He was not above using racial tension and prejudice to his electoral advantage and whatever his legacy may be, he will not be remembered as a President who advanced the cause of civil rights. As such, I tend to believe that Al Smith would have been superior to Herbert Hoover on the issue of civil rights if he had been elected President in 1928.

Well, Smith might have pushed more and leave a better legacy, but "much better" sounds excessive, considering the resistance he would have faced. I mean, under FDR no anti-lynching bill was passed, the South inserted racial provisions in many New Deal bills, and the National Housing Act 1934 created a *sarcasm* beautiful thing known as federal redlining. And FDR is someone who has a positive legacy overall on civil rights, because many New Deal laws still aided African Americans and other minority groups. Al Smith by the way in real life was very critical of the New Deal, although I have no idea how he would have behaved had he been President and put in charge of the nation.

Let's say that how you put it in your last sentence sounds better to me than how you put it in your previous post.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2020, 02:33:08 AM »

Hoover! I don't want the Pope running our nation!
bigot
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies