Describe a Reagan 1980/Mondale 1984 voter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:19:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Reagan 1980/Mondale 1984 voter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Reagan 1980/Mondale 1984 voter  (Read 2138 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: January 07, 2019, 03:09:55 AM »

Also, a voter from Denver County, Colorado. Reagan won Denver County in 1980, thanks in part to Anderson, but it flipped to Mondale in 1984, even though Reagan got over 60% of the vote in Colorado, the last presidential candidate from either party to win the state by a double-digit margin.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »

My understanding is a lot of Jews voted for Reagan in 1980 due to unhappiness with Jimmy Carter's foreign policy but then returned to the Democrats in 1984. I'll verify that to be sure.

I watched the 1980 Election Season/Night coverage on CBS and NBC, uploaded to YouTube. I can't remember which network mentioned it, but according to them, Reagan did about the same with Jewish voters as Ford, while virtually all of the Jewish voters which Carter lost went to John Anderson. The coverage doesn't provide much detail about what it was exactly with Carter's Israel policies that upset Jewish voters (possibly state recognition issues?), but they highlight Carter's efforts to defend his policies and to win back defectors. Obviously, these did not work, and Carter's poor performance among Jews is one of the major factors as to why he lost New York to Reagan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies