Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2019, 09:28:33 am
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

  Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: Gustaf, afleitch, Hash, Keyboard Jacobinism)
  U.N. truce monitors say that Hodeidah pullout stalled, fighting occurs elsewhere
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: U.N. truce monitors say that Hodeidah pullout stalled, fighting occurs elsewhere  (Read 212 times)
PSOL
YaBB God
*****
Posts: 2,354


Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:30:57 pm »
« edited: January 28, 2019, 01:52:15 pm by PSOL »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-un/advance-u-n-truce-monitors-arrive-in-yemens-hodeidah-idUSKCN1OM0KK
Quote
The warring parties in Yemen’s nearly four-year war reached the deal at U.N.-sponsored peace talks in Sweden earlier this month. The truce began on Tuesday but skirmishes continued on the outskirts of the city.

The U.N. Security Council on Friday unanimously approved the deployment - for an initial 30 days - of an advance monitoring team led by retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert. He is chair of a Redeployment Coordination Committee (RCC) that includes representatives from both sides of the conflict.

“General Cammaert is encouraged by the general enthusiasm of both sides to get to work, immediately. One of the priorities in the coming days will be the organization of the first joint RCC meeting, which is projected for 26 December,” U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.

This is the most successful U.N. negotiation for this entire conflict. Hope the deescalation opens way for something more potent to finally end the suffering of the Yemeni people.
Logged
PSOL
YaBB God
*****
Posts: 2,354


Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 01:53:23 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/28/houthis-withdrawal-in-yemen-is-delayed-says-un-special-envoy
Quote
Deadlines for a retreat of Houthi troops in Yemen, agreed in talks last month, have had to be delayed, the UN special envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, has said. He also conceded plans for prisoner exchanges have not gone to plan.

Griffiths also had to deny that the retired general Patrick Cammaert, appointed by the UN to implement the ceasefire in the Red Sea port of Hodeidah, had quit due to disagreements with Griffiths’s team.

Griffiths confirmed Cammaert, a retired Dutch general, was leaving after only weeks in the job, but said he had always been on a short-term contract and there had been no dispute between the two men after the general’s convoy was fired upon in Hodeidah.

Cammaert had been struggling to persuade the two sides to attend a regional coordination committee, seen as central to building trust, and ironing out disagreements over what was agreed in peace talks in Stockholm last month.
Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies

Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines