Will China have truly competitive multi-party elections by 2040? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will China have truly competitive multi-party elections by 2040? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will China have truly competitive multi-party elections by 2040?
Yes

No

IDK

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Will China have truly competitive multi-party elections by 2040?  (Read 2670 times)
Cashew
United States

« on: December 24, 2018, 12:01:08 AM »

I can't imagine it. In 2018 the CPC is nowhere close to collapsing. China is going to become the world's #1 superpower before 2040. Living standards across China will continue to rise. The CPC is going to be riding this wave for a long time. Possibly for over a hundred years. Even when living standards one day stagnate, and China's global influence starts to wane, the government won't collapse over night. It takes time for dissatisfaction to build up enough for there to be a revolution. I don't see any realistic scenario where China is a multi-party democracy in 2040.

Who said anything about collapse or revolution?

Someone I know who is a Chinese citizen studying here thinks the PRC will transition to multi-party elections within 20 years.

Assuming they suddenly decided to be more democratic, I don't see why they they would go straight to multiple parties. Instead they could try to play it safe and allow the already existing multiple factions inside the Communist party to formally organize themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies