When did Socal overtake Norcal as the more populous region of California?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:29:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When did Socal overtake Norcal as the more populous region of California?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did Socal overtake Norcal as the more populous region of California?  (Read 1482 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »

I can't seem to find solid information on this - I found some maps that suggest it was the 1940s, but I couldn't be sure.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »

I can't seem to find solid information on this - I found some maps that suggest it was the 1940s, but I couldn't be sure.

Population of States and Counties of the United States: 1790 to 1990

See link to Excel file for counties in Part III at bottom of page.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »

Population of States and Counties of the United States: 1790 to 1990

See link to Excel file for counties in Part III at bottom of page.

Thanks! For those wondering, the answer is the 1930 census.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

I'd guess WWII yeah
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »

That would depend on what you consider to be SoCal and NorCal, which many people seem to disagree on.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »

That would depend on what you consider to be SoCal and NorCal, which many people seem to disagree on.
A modern definition would include everything south of Los Angeles and San Bernardino. Whether Santa Barbara was included would depend on if there was a Central Coast Region.

But are Bakersfield and Death Valley in Northern California?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 01:15:31 AM »

A modern definition would include everything south of Los Angeles and San Bernardino. Whether Santa Barbara was included would depend on if there was a Central Coast Region.

....No, just no.

And the answer is WWII when Hollywood started to really take off. Between that and San Francisco running out of room to grow...
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »

....No, just no.

And the answer is WWII when Hollywood started to really take off. Between that and San Francisco running out of room to grow...
What about Fresno, Modesto, San Jose, San Mateo, Colma?

The most prominent physical separation between North and South is San Francisco Bay.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »

Guys...

Where NorCal/SoCal begins ends culturally, demographically, and geographically is a matter of opinion and relative to ones geography. It is a question that will never be answered unless California is cut into multiple pieces.

However, you guys are not measuring culture, urban metropolises, or opinion. You are measuring pop. With that in mind, it is best to just use the straight line from SLO and San Bernadino for consistency, even though it might not be the best for other measures.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »

I used this (expanded) definition:

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »

I like this definition. Chess players in Bakersfield would likely prefer to drive to LA or Anaheim for events.

Little League places Bakersfield in the North, and Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, Ventura in the south. This might be for reasons of competitive balance. California sends two teams to the West Regional.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »

I liked this map so much I decided to read the whole article. It took a little digging, but here is the story from KCHO.

I found two other maps in the story worth adding to the debate. This is from a Chico State geography professor who would quiz students, and find the average of their responses.

Another instructor in the same department had this map of the Central Valley based on respondents from Merced and Redding from the map posted by Oryxslayer.

What I found interesting was that both groups on this map put Kern in the same region Merced - the Central Valley. Yet even many of the Merced respondents in Oryxslayer's map would split Kern from Merced and put Kern in SoCal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies