L 15.4 - Veto Rescinding Amendment (Passed to referendum)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:57:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L 15.4 - Veto Rescinding Amendment (Passed to referendum)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: L 15.4 - Veto Rescinding Amendment (Passed to referendum)  (Read 871 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »
« edited: February 15, 2019, 09:58:59 PM by Lt. Gov. wxtransit »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sponsor: wxtransit
Bill designation: L 15.4
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »

Lincoln Assembly Bill 15.4 is now on the Assembly floor. The mandatory 72-hour period for debate must now commence.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:31:26 PM »

This amendment, if passed, will allow the Governor to rescind his veto if he deems it necessary (as seen with ReaganClinton's veto of the Gun Control Act, which he vetoed because he believed the bill didn't address a topic which it in fact did, and he expressed his wish that the veto was incorrect). There is a time limit on the bill (through both the 72 hour limit and the limit to if the Assembly starts a veto override) to prevent this from being used in a malicious manner by a different Governor who disagreed with a prior Governor's veto, for example.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »

I'm worried about the potential this power has for political misuses. What is to prevent the Assembly from overriding a veto the Governor regrets at his request, except a bill which the majority of the Assembly (and a majority the people of Lincoln) don't agree with?  Even leaving aside the Gun Control Repeal Bill and my personal opposition to it, this does concern me. I can also, however, see the finer points of adopting such a measure. I try to be as neutral and objective as possible and will leave aside the circumstances of this amendment's introduction and the specific bill this derives from in my evaluation of it. I'll think carefully about this amendment and determine my support or opposition, I am currently neutral.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:37 PM »

I'm worried about the potential this power has for political misuses. What is to prevent the Assembly from overriding a veto the Governor regrets at his request, except a bill which the majority of the Assembly (and a majority the people of Lincoln) don't agree with?  Even leaving aside the Gun Control Repeal Bill and my personal opposition to it, this does concern me. I can also, however, see the finer points of adopting such a measure. I try to be as neutral and objective as possible and will leave aside the circumstances of this amendment's introduction and the specific bill this derives from in my evaluation of it. I'll think carefully about this amendment and determine my support or opposition, I am currently neutral.

There is the potential that, say, in a future Assembly, the Governor may regret a veto of his own along with a majority of Lincolnites, but for a plethora of different reasons (personal reasons may come into play, along with simply not enough members not being present to vote), the override fails and the bill is vetoed according to original intent, against the will of the Governor and Lincoln. While I will admit this possiblity is not the most likely at hand, it still exists, and serves as a good argument in favor of this amendment. I do see your concern, however. I'm wondering if there's a way to put a safeguard against political misuse (like, for example, a unanimous vote against the rescind to nullify it?) that we could codify in the amendment.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »

I'm worried about the potential this power has for political misuses. What is to prevent the Assembly from overriding a veto the Governor regrets at his request, except a bill which the majority of the Assembly (and a majority the people of Lincoln) don't agree with? Even leaving aside the Gun Control Repeal Bill and my personal opposition to it, this does concern me. I can also, however, see the finer points of adopting such a measure. I try to be as neutral and objective as possible and will leave aside the circumstances of this amendment's introduction and the specific bill this derives from in my evaluation of it. I'll think carefully about this amendment and determine my support or opposition, I am currently neutral.

There is the potential that, say, in a future Assembly, the Governor may regret a veto of his own along with a majority of Lincolnites, but for a plethora of different reasons (personal reasons may come into play, along with simply not enough members not being present to vote), the override fails and the bill is vetoed according to original intent, against the will of the Governor and Lincoln. While I will admit this possiblity is not the most likely at hand, it still exists, and serves as a good argument in favor of this amendment. I do see your concern, however. I'm wondering if there's a way to put a safeguard against political misuse (like, for example, a unanimous vote against the rescind to nullify it?) that we could codify in the amendment.

I would agree with that compromise. I propose, as such, an addition to the Amendment that reads as such, if you deem it friendly:

[/quote]
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:00:59 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2019, 11:04:01 PM by Lt. Gov. wxtransit »

Amendment is friendly. 24 hours for Assembly members to object to the amendment. In addition, I will also add an amendment, which will take effect if the first amendment passes:
[/quote]
[/quote]
24 hours for Assembly members to object to this amendment.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »

Amendment is friendly. 24 hours for Assembly members to object to the amendment. In addition, I will also add an amendment, which will take effect if the first amendment passes:
[/quote]

[/quote]

If I may interject here, I don't see why the clarification is necessary. The four-fifths requirement still works as intended without the clarification (2 of 3 votes is less than four fifths, so a unanimous vote would still be required to satisfy the requirement).
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »

[/quote]

If I may interject here, I don't see why the clarification is necessary. The four-fifths requirement still works as intended without the clarification (2 of 3 votes is less than four fifths, so a unanimous vote would still be required to satisfy the requirement).
[/quote]

That is true, but the SOAP has a precedent of including requirements for both types of Assemblies. However, if it's felt that it's not necessary, I won't push it. Smiley
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 01:47:48 AM »

Both amendments pass without objection. Debate resumes.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 02:41:26 AM »

Motion for a final vote. 24 hours to object.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:49 AM »

Final vote now in progress, 48 hours.

Aye.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »

Aye.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »

Since the Constitution requires all sitting members to vote in favor in a three person assembly for amendments, and since JaydonBrooks's resignation does not have legal effect, it is possible this amendment will fail if he does not return or does not formally resign in 48 hours.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »

If I interpreted the SOAP correctly, I believe I can hold this vote open until we reach a quorum (3 members). So, vote stays open until we get a new member seated.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 08:57:17 PM »

Still holding this open until we reach a quorum Tongue
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 09:17:07 PM »

Tongue
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »

Aye
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »

we have a quorum!

Aye (3): wxtransit, Peanut, Comrade Funk

The bill will be referred to the public for ratification on Friday, February 22 to Monday, February 25.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies