Public Office of Frémont FM Scott [Resignation Statement]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:25:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Office of Frémont FM Scott [Resignation Statement]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Public Office of Frémont FM Scott [Resignation Statement]  (Read 11217 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2019, 06:15:43 PM by 🌈Rainbow Jihad »

Statement

Moments ago, I issued my first veto of the Parliamentary session.  Under our constitution, this means that a public referendum shall be held on the legislation on whether to approve or reject the bill in question.

The "Protecting Children From Smoking in Vehicles Act," as it is so named, bans the smoking of tobacco - and even e-cigarettes - in cars with passengers under 18 years old.  While the intention to reduce the exposure of potentially harmful chemicals to minors is good, the bill as written is a perfect example of government overreach that would hurt Fremonters, and have devastating consequences for the poor who would be charged under this law.

Would kids really be better off if their mother loses her drivers license and is unable to pick up her kids from soccer or transport them to medical appointments, simply for blowing smoke out her car?  And if an 18-year-old high school student drives his 17-year-old classmate to school in his convertible while vaping, they would be prosecuted in a similar manner that we punish drunk drivers.

And why stop at cars?  Under this law it would still be legal for adults to smoke indoors or in close quarters with their minor children.  This law would put us on a very slippery slope towards further restricting personal choice just for the sake of making a statement.

Therefore I urge Fremonters to reject this proposal when it comes to a public referendum next Friday.

Here is the text of the bill:

Protecting Children From Smoking in Vehicles Act

To prohibit individuals from smoking in a vehicle with passengers under the age of 18

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Protecting Children From Smoking in Vehicles Act”.

Section 2. Definitions

As used in Act, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context:
   (1) The term "smoke" shall mean the inhaling and exhaling of a vapor produced by the burning, heating, or lighting of a tobacco product or drug in a cigar, cigarette, pipe, or other device, or the use of such device.
(2) The term "electronic cigarette" shall mean a device that produces a nicotine vapor that can be inhaled.

Section 3. Rules

(a) In general. -

It shall be a summary offense for an individual to smoke or use an electronic cigarette in a vehicle that has one or more passengers that are under 18 years of age.

(b) Penalty. -

An individual caught violating subsection (a), upon conviction, shall:
       (1) on the first offense within a 5 year period, be required to pay a fine of $250;
(2) on the second offense within a 5 year period, be required to pay a fine of $500 and have their license suspended for 30 days;
(3) on the third offense within a 5 year period, be required to pay a fine of $750 and have their license suspended for 90 days; and
(4) for any offense thereafter within a 5 year period, be required to pay a fine of $1000 and have their license suspended for 1 year.

Section 4. Implementation

This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.

Parliament of the Commonwealth of Fremont
Passed

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »

With the recall of MP Galaxie having passed, I have appointed bruhgmger2 to fill the vacant seat.  A special election will be held this weekend.

bruhgmger2 is hereby appointed to the position of MP.

A special election to fill the vacancy created by the recall of Galaxie will be held March 22-24.

Eventually I will be issuing a full statement on the result of the recent veto override referendum, but I have important RL obligations to fulfill for today and tomorrow.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 10:59:46 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 11:04:06 AM by 🌈Rainbow Jihad »

Statement on FT 10-18 Referendum Outcome

This past weekend, Fremonters came to the polls and voted to override my recent veto of FT 10-18: the Protecting Children From Smoking in Vehicles Act.

Obviously, I am dismayed that voters came to a different conclusion on this act.  However, I am proud that we were able to conduct a spirited debate about the issue at hand, which affects so many people on a personal level.  Despite what certain supporters of the bill have said, however, I did not veto the bill because I "sid[e] with the big tobacco lobby over the health of children."  As a matter of fact, I despise tobacco and have witnessed firsthand the damage that tobacco addiction causes so many individuals and families.

Though I must also confess I am somewhat alarmed by the growing sentiment that we can only promote healthier living by directly policing the private choices of others.  Most of us recall when New York City tried to ban Big Gulps.  And one of the most vocal supporters of FT 10-18 recently pushed an effort to ban McDonald's in his home region.  Read that last sentence again, folks.  I wish I was joking.

Smoking is a vice that I believe should be stamped out by society through means of personal choice and education on the harmful effects of tobacco, rather than by force of the state.  I also remain, in principle, opposed to punitive suspensions of drivers license unless the suspension is related directly to unsafe driving.

FT 10-18 as it stands enables police officers to further harass innocent citizens and make more unjust arrests, which troubles me as someone who's personally been affected by police officers overstepping their authority.  The law also punishes individuals with license suspensions of up to one year and imposes hefty fines for repeat violators.  Again I ask, how do children - and especially those who come from poor families and one-parent homes - supposedly benefit from having a parent who cannot drive to work, run errands, or transport their kids to and from medical appointments and extracurricular activities?

Furthermore, the wording of one particular section of this bill is vague.  As written, it is unclear if teenagers who are under 18 years of age might be charged for smoking or vaping alone in their own vehicle.

Even some supporters of the bill concede that the law is imperfect and have expressed support for Parliament amending sections of it, particularly the prescribed license suspensions.

With all this being said, I recognize that the people of Fremont broadly reject smoking in vehicles in the presence of minors.  I also contend that most opponents of the legislation are informed enough to know that secondhand smoke is not good for the health of young children.

Therefore, while I will not seek to repeal the act, I will be proposing sensible changes to it.  I also intend on using an amended version of the law to increase state efforts on educating people on the harmful effects of tobacco.  I will submit my proposed changes to Parliament soon as it is my hope that our representatives will reach a consensus on how to best reduce exposure of young people to secondhand smoke without imposing unreasonable punishments on victims of addiction.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2019, 11:52:53 PM by FM Scott🦋 »

Shortly after I took office as First Minister in January, Fremont was met with a territorial crisis, as certain individuals had made claim to the state of Alaska and attempted to declare its independence from our Republic and Commonwealth.  It was at this time we discovered that our government had neglected to fund the Fremont National Guard in previous budget negotiations, which ultimately compromised our region's ability to defend our region from foreign and domestic threats and preserve our territorial integrity.  An emergency funding bill was quickly passed, and with the help of then-Secretary of State Lumine and the Weatherboy Administration, the secession effort ceased without unnecessary bloodshed.

And the National Guard has been a tremendous asset to our region.  Just recently I had the opportunity to tour with our service members in Nebraska as it has endured heavy flooding.  Last week, I had the honor of surveying the devastated areas of Nebraska and Iowa with President Tmth.  And now these flooded lands are getting the help they need to rebuild and people to relocate.

National Guard funding and disaster relief are two out of a long list of accomplishments by our government over the last three months.  Even in the face of constant recalls for inactive MPs, our government has remained functional, diligent, and responsive to the people it serves.

We funded parks and rural hospitals.  We passed a uniform building code to prevent tragedies like the collapse of the Wyoming ski lodge during New Years'.  We have reformed licensing laws to remove barriers to entry in our economy and provide relief to thousands of poor and middle-class Fremonters who are unfairly penalized for student loans.  We've expanded labor protections for pregnant women.  We formally adopted new standards for our region's curriculum to promote civic education.  Now we are tackling healthcare reform, transportation, and more.

And every dollar spent, and every dollar taxed, by this government, has been carefully tracked in preparation for the upcoming budget, which will be deliberated in a few months.

Thanks to Speakers Ontario Progressive and Jimmy, former First Minister and Vice President YE, Deputy GM Encke, and so many more, we have kept what was once an inactive region working at a steady pace.

No doubt our Commonwealth has made great strides these past few months, but our work does not end there.

As such, I am running for reelection as your First Minister.

I welcome all candidates, both those who have announced their entry into our Parliamentary elections and those who plan to, and would be open to having debates to outline our visions to the public.

My platform is as follows:

- Expanding labor protections (such as the Pregnant Workers Support Act)
- Protecting the right to keep and bear arms
- Protecting women's healthcare, including the right to choose
- Preserving our environment and supporting rural areas and farming communities
- Reforming education, increasing teacher pay, and making higher education affordable and universally accessible
- Cost transparency for healthcare providers to ensure accountability and to lower costs, while preserving FremontCare
- Exploring further sentencing reform measures, such as ending "life without parole" and making our prisons more rehabilitative
- Supporting Fremont veterans
- Keeping the game sustainable
- Standing for our rights as a region

Endorsements
- MP AustralianSwingVoter
- Parliament Speaker Jimmy7812
- Former Vice President and First Minister YE
- Governor Peanut (Lincoln)
- Former First Minister Harry S. Truman
- Former President dfwlibertylover
- House Speaker Razze (South)
- Vice President LumineVonReuental
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »

Thank you!!!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »

Endorsed!
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »

Endorsed!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker! Smile
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »

Endorsed.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2019, 06:30:36 PM »

You've been a great FM, and it'll be great to have you as a fellow regional executive for another term. Endorsed!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »

You've been a great FM, and it'll be great to have you as a fellow regional executive for another term. Endorsed!

Thank you both!!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »

As it now appears that Jackson Hitchcock's recall is likely to succeed, I would like to clarify that, because the general election is in two weeks, there will NOT be a special election for the vacant seat.  The person that I appoint will serve for the remainder of the session.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2019, 02:03:59 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2019, 02:07:13 PM by FM Scott🦋 »

As our current session of Parliament winds rapidly to a close, today I am using my power as First Minister to recognize another one of Fremont's most outstanding citizens.  Thus, today, under the authority vested in me by the Order of the Commomweath of Fremont Act, I hereby award former Member of Parliament, former Secretary of State, and our current Vice President LumineVonReuental the title of "Guardian."

Lumine has been a member of this forum and a citizen of our great nation for many years.  At the beginning of my term as First Minister in January, Fremont was faced with a territorial crisis, as radicals attempted to lay claim to the state of Alaska and declare her independence from Fremont and the Republic of Atlasia.  This crisis exposed a great vulnerability in Fremont's defense system, as our National Guard was unfunded and the task of suppressing this illegal act of aggression fell on the shoulders of the federal government.  Then-Secretary Lumine took swift action, pledging full military support to our Commonwealth on behalf of the administration he had been serving.

It is my honor to present this award, the highest civilian honor in the Commonwealth of Fremont, to Vice President LumineVonReuental.

LumineVonReuental - Order of the Commonwealth of Fremont (Guardian)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »

Full text of executive order
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2019, 12:12:16 AM »

YE is appointed to the position of MP, to serve for the remainder of the Parliamentary session.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »

Endorsed!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »

idk how I just noticed this, but endorsed of course!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »

idk how I just noticed this, but endorsed of course!

Many thanks to you both!! Smiley
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »

Super duper endorsed!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »