Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:51:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 64
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Sept. 29 federal election ?
ÖVP

SPÖ

FPÖ

NEOS

NOW

Greens

KPÖ

Change

A regional party

Invalid/Blank

I wouldn't vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)  (Read 142981 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: September 29, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »

Austria's electoral map is a "sea of turquoise". Is this the first time the map in Austria is so uniform?

Also, map of Vienna by precinct:
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #1151 on: September 29, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

The more "rural" suburbs are for OVP, working class suburbs for SPO and FPO, middle class outer city for the Greens and the rich inner city for OVP?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1152 on: September 29, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »

The Greens in a nutshell, proving that they are as left-wing radical as their German brethren:

Omega21

« Reply #1153 on: September 29, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »

The Greens in a nutshell, proving that they are as left-wing radical as their German brethren:

Hahahahah

But in order to do that, they need to get in bed with the rich people's party.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1154 on: September 29, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »

A sea of turquoise:

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1155 on: September 29, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »

That splurge of red in Carinthia, it's basically Slovenes right?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1156 on: September 29, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »

Austria's electoral map is a "sea of turquoise". Is this the first time the map in Austria is so uniform?

Also, map of Vienna by precinct:

This map is also missing the record number of mail ballots, meaning the map probably gets a bit more green.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1157 on: September 29, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »

While may be unusual for Austria, last US election looked like this despite Clinton winning popular vote so if you have a strong enough urban/rural divide you could have a map look like this and still lose or barely win, mind you I don't think Austria is as urbanized as the US is so might be harder to replicate.
rob in cal
« Reply #1158 on: September 29, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »

Wonder if FPO would rethink their decision to be in opposition if it meant that Kurz had to move quite a bit leftwards to get a Green coalition agreement.  
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1159 on: September 29, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2019, 04:15:06 PM by parochial boy »

While may be unusual for Austria, last US election looked like this despite Clinton winning popular vote so if you have a strong enough urban/rural divide you could have a map look like this and still lose or barely win, mind you I don't think Austria is as urbanized as the US is so might be harder to replicate.

Three of Austria's 5 largest towns - Salzburg, Graz and Innsbruck, are all coloured in turquoise on the map. And even factoring in the dispersal of the left votes, it still looks like Vienna and Linz were the only substantial towns to still give a majority of their votes to the left.

But even Salzburg and Linz are not big places. Really, Austria is basically one quarter Vienna, three-quarters rural hicks.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1160 on: September 29, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »

Three of Austria's 5 largest towns - Slazburg, Graz and Innsbruck, are all coloured in purple on the map. And even factoring in the dispersal of the left votes, it still looks like Vienna and Linz were the only substantial towns to still give a majority of their votes to the left.

But even Salzburg and Linz are not big places. Really, Austria is basically one quarter Vienna, three-quarters rural hicks.

There is a reason why there are two major right wing parties and the combined right wing vote is usually north of 60%.
urutzizu
« Reply #1161 on: September 29, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »

Three of Austria's 5 largest towns - Slazburg, Graz and Innsbruck, are all coloured in purple on the map.

Turquoise you probably meant to say.

Also yes, those are the Slovenes in South-Kärnten, who had a very contentious relationship with FPÖ/ÖVP Governments in that state, especially after Haider tried to restrict their Language rights.
adma
« Reply #1162 on: September 29, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »

Might the Greens have gotten a "climate strike bump"?  (Thinking of the momentary polling in the Canadian election)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1163 on: September 29, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »

Three of Austria's 5 largest towns - Salzburg, Graz and Innsbruck, are all coloured in turquoise on the map. And even factoring in the dispersal of the left votes, it still looks like Vienna and Linz were the only substantial towns to still give a majority of their votes to the left.

Graz and Innsbruck are close enough between Greens and ÖVP that the postal ballots might yet change the ranking there, and get the left/right balance about even; Salzburg isn't far behind. But yes, Vienna moves Austria as a whole very much to the left.

South Carinthia isn't just Slovenes, none of these municipalities but Zell/Sele (40% SPÖ, 20% Greens, <5% FPÖ) has a Slovene majority. There's a history of rural mining, small-scale industry and anti-clericalism round there, and the whole area has been an SPÖ stronghold since time immemorial - the Slovene minority does play a role, but not solely.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1164 on: September 29, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »

Three of Austria's 5 largest towns - Slazburg, Graz and Innsbruck, are all coloured in purple on the map.

Also yes, those are the Slovenes in South-Kärnten, who had a very contentious relationship with FPÖ/ÖVP Governments in that state, especially after Haider tried to restrict their Language rights.

He may have some degree of colorblindness.
urutzizu
« Reply #1165 on: September 29, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »

I considered that too when I wrote my response, but as someone who also grew up with a different language, I too often confuse the names of Colors on English, so I assumed it was that. The exact definitions/distinctions of Purple/Purpur, Lila and Violett is not clear in German anyway.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1166 on: September 29, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »

Is Austria one of the most rural countries in Western Europe?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1167 on: September 29, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2019, 08:40:20 PM by Ye Olde Europe »

No. Stop.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1168 on: September 29, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

Voter streams 2017 -> 2019:

https://orf.at/wahl/nr19/#migration

235.000 FPÖ voters from 2017 went into the non-voter column, as did 85.000 SPÖ voters.

That explains the 5% drop in turnout.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1169 on: September 29, 2019, 11:50:25 PM »

H.C. Strache will likely be kicked out of the party tomorrow already, because of "party-damaging behaviour".

Also, his wife Philippa will not get a seat in parliament after all because of their catastrophic result.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1170 on: September 30, 2019, 03:15:29 AM »

I considered that too when I wrote my response, but as someone who also grew up with a different language, I too often confuse the names of Colors on English, so I assumed it was that. The exact definitions/distinctions of Purple/Purpur, Lila and Violett is not clear in German anyway.

Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention when I posted it.

I do, however, come from a culture where speculating out loud about whether someone is disabled or not would be considered inappropriate.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1171 on: September 30, 2019, 04:31:11 AM »

When do we get the final results?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1172 on: September 30, 2019, 05:14:29 AM »

Freedom fighters 💚✌
urutzizu
« Reply #1173 on: September 30, 2019, 05:31:31 AM »

Sorry, parochial.

Anyway yes, 907.000 Postal Votes will be counted today, and the remaining 45.000 will be counted on Thursday. Then you will have a final result. If trends from last time hold, the postal votes will likely take the ÖVP from 73 Seats to 71 and the FPÖ from 31 to 30. The Greens probably take all 3 of them, going up to 26. They usually perform best among the postal votes.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1174 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »

This is silly.

Just because one low-level Green says something like this, there's a big outcry ...

And besides, he's not totally wrong. While the company Amazon should probably not be "burned down" like the Amazon rainforest, it is legitimate to demand a breakup of that company or at least tax it by a huge amount and put pressure on them so they improve their disgusting worker conditions !
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies