Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 04:05:06 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (General) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, Hash, Kutasoff Hedzoff)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 Print
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Sept. 29 federal election ?
VP

SP

FP

NEOS

NOW

Greens

KP

Change

A regional party

Invalid/Blank

I wouldn't vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)  (Read 69380 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: October 26, 2019, 08:08:05 am »

Yes.

But it would still be funny if Strache ended up creating a women's party ... Tongue

Strache apparently wants to become a business consulter/adviser now ...

In other news, there is not much news because today is our National Holiday.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1376 on: October 26, 2019, 08:17:14 am »

The Kurier reports that Strache wants to create his own party, called F.P..

https://kuriermitschlag.at/schlag-zeilen/strache-gruendet-fpoe-die-frauen-partei-oesterreichs/400657718

Frauen Partei sterreichs (Womens Party of Austria)

A man leading a "women's party" won't be the most absurd thing in Austrian politics.

Indeed.

During Schssel's VP-FP government, we had a man running the Ministry for Women's Issues.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1377 on: October 27, 2019, 03:45:47 am »

Styria will vote in 4 weeks and there are only 6 parties on the ballot, the lowest amount since 1981 (4).

https://steiermark.orf.at/stories/3017859

Styria has early voting on Nov. 15 (it is just one of 3 states that offer it, Burgenland and Carinthia being the others).

It is estimated that ca. 100.000 will vote early, out of 960.000 eligible voters and an additional 60.000 or so by postal ballot.

In Styria, there's also no 4% or 5% threshold like in all other states. In order to get a seat in the state parliament, a party needs a "basic mandate" in one of the 4 election districts in the state.
crals

« Reply #1378 on: October 27, 2019, 06:58:47 am »

How disappointing Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1379 on: November 01, 2019, 02:28:32 am »

Here's a chart for the upcoming Styria state election incl. the 6 parties on the ballot and the frontrunners, the 2015 results and results by town:

Source: APA

The Greens could really surprise this time (15%), because it's a sure thing that the SP will collapse towards 20% and a lot of their voters will switch.

In previous state elections, the Greens never got more than 6%.

The FP is involved in another Nazi-songbook scandal there right now:

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/heil-hitler-ihr-alten-germanen-distanzierung-ist-falscher-begriff/400662911

Even though the songbook is from 1999, it belongs to a right-wing fraternity from Styria - of which a Styrian FP politician of the Austrian Parliament is a member.

Yesterday, the FP tried to "clean up" their Nazi songbook mess but it significantly backfired: Zangerl, the MP, said: "I will never apologize for singing these lines. My parents and ancestors already did sing them as well."

The lines include: "Heil Hitler" and smears of Jews as "pigs"/ wealthy bankers.

All parties called the new songbook scandal a disgrace and that the FP should clean up their ranks. But Norbert Hofer and Co. have been really quiet so far, trying to sit it out. Last year, there was a songbook scandal as well ahead of the state election in Lower Austria, in which the FP suffered a lot.

2 internal polls (one for the VP, one for the FP) show the FP at 18-20% in Styria, before the song book scandal. That's down from 27% in 2015, but still way too high.

The interesting thing is that while the VP attacked the FP because of the songbooks, it emerged that Catholic student fraternities also had those Nazi lines in their songbooks until the late 1990s. Later versions were edited to include a historic reference and explanation to these lines or removed altogether. The FP-fraternity songbooks are missing these historic clarifications.

Sebastian Kurz, who held 8-hour talks with the Greens yesterday, called the songbook texts "deeply disgusting" and "anti-semitic" and also urged the FP to take action.

Source: APA
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1380 on: November 01, 2019, 02:55:20 am »

After 8 hours of "exploration" talks, VP+Greens announced yeterday that 5 broad topics will be their main focus:

* Combating climate change and pollution
* Combating illegal immigration
* Combating the economic slowdown, rising unemployment and lowering (child) poverty
* Education
* Transparency in politics and campaign finances

Source: APA/Punz

https://orf.at/stories/3142737

Both VP and Greens praised the "very positive" atmosphere during the talks ...

If the Greens could be convinced to combat illegal immigration, that could mean a really good coalition after all ... Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1381 on: November 01, 2019, 12:36:58 pm »

New 24 poll for Styria:

Conducted the past week.

The FP is embarrassingly high at 21%, hopefully they drop to at least 15% after they were exposed as actual Nazis recently.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1382 on: November 01, 2019, 12:54:05 pm »

H.C. Strache yesterday:

Wink

Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1383 on: November 01, 2019, 01:22:29 pm »

Greens overtake the FP for the first time in ~15 years nationally:

#MAGA
Omega21
YaBB God

« Reply #1384 on: November 01, 2019, 07:42:57 pm »

New 24 poll for Styria:

Conducted the past week.

The FP is embarrassingly high at 21%, hopefully they drop to at least 15% after they were exposed as actual Nazis recently.

What happened? Surprise

Busy with upcoming exams so I didn't read as much as usual...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1385 on: November 02, 2019, 01:01:34 am »

What happened? Surprise

Read more here.
Omega21
YaBB God

« Reply #1386 on: November 02, 2019, 07:12:14 am »

What happened? Surprise

Read more here.

Thanks!

They should reroute my GIS Gebhr to you for providing so much info Tongue

This is definitely deeply disturbing, and I'm really disappointed in their unwillingness to clean up. Even though it would temporarily cause problems for the party, the only way they can become a serious party again is by taking stuff like this seriously.

If they don't, they will slowly become an Austrian AfD, even if their leader does not say the same foul things like Hcke.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1387 on: November 02, 2019, 10:02:41 am »

What happened? Surprise

Read more here.

Thanks!

This is definitely deeply disturbing, and I'm really disappointed in their unwillingness to clean up. Even though it would temporarily cause problems for the party, the only way they can become a serious party again is by taking stuff like this seriously.

If they don't, they will slowly become an Austrian AfD, even if their leader does not say the same foul things like Hcke.

The FP slowly becoming like the German AfD ?

LOL.

The FP has already been like the German AfD, long before the German AfD even existed ...

The party has just been more effective during the past few years to hide their Nazi nature, but eventually they cannot hide what they really are.
Omega21
YaBB God

« Reply #1388 on: November 02, 2019, 11:02:50 am »

What happened? Surprise

Read more here.

Thanks!

LOL.

The FP has already been like the German AfD, long before the German AfD even existed ...

The party has just been more effective during the past few years to hide their Nazi nature, but eventually they cannot hide what they really are.

I mean, I really doubt Hofer is a Nazi...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1389 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:03 am »

What happened? Surprise

Read more here.

Thanks!

LOL.

I mean, I really doubt Hofer is a Nazi...

Maybe not, but his silence in this new songbook scandal speaks volumes.

In recent years he always talked about "zero tolerance" in such cases bla bla bla and now that he's in charge of the party ... he does nothing. Trying to sit things out. Tolerate it.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1390 on: November 02, 2019, 11:25:32 pm »

Today:

Another marathon meeting between the VP and Green delegations, followed by 2 more rounds on Tuesday and Friday, after which Kurz will announce official coalition talks with a party (almost 100% guaranteed that it will be the Greens).

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/Poker-um-Tuerkis-Gruen-wird-dramatisch/404360738
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1391 on: November 03, 2019, 12:32:16 pm »

The other parties, the media, actors, writers etc. are putting more and more pressure on the FP & Hofer to act in their new Nazi songbook scandal:

Source: APA/Krone

https://orf.at/stories/3142966

Today, the VP called on Hofer to ask for Zanger's removal in parliament. Before that, all the other parties have asked him to resign or for Hofer to suspend him.

The head of the Jewish Community in Austria, Oskar Deutsch, has also called for the resignation of Hofer himself, which caused the FP (Vilimsky) to attack Deutsch ("He wants to destroy the FP.")
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1392 on: November 03, 2019, 12:57:51 pm »

BTW: good luck on those. Where and what are you studying ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1393 on: November 03, 2019, 01:26:33 pm »

A new OGM/Kurier poll shows that 42% of Austrians now prefer an VP-Green coalition, with just 26% VP-FP and 16% VP-SP.

That's the highest support measured so far.

VP voters only: 48% VP-Greens, 33% VP-FP, 12% VP-SP.

Green voters only: 96% (!) VP-Greens, 2% VP-FP.

SP voters only: 54% VP-SP, 36% VP-Greens, 3% VP-FP.

FP voters only: 96% VP-FP, 1% VP-SP.

NEOS voters only: 59% VP-Greens, 35% VP-SP, 3% VP-SP.

---

When it comes to coalition talks and topics between VP-Greens, Austrian voters want Werner Kogler (Greens) to cave on immigration and balanced budgets, while voters want Kurz to give in on climate topics. Voters favour strong compromises on all other topics, such as healthcare, pensions etc.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1394 on: November 03, 2019, 04:18:41 pm »

VP-Green coalition talks have come to a conclusion ... in Vorarlberg.

The coalition there will be renewed for another 5 years.

https://www.vol.at/vorarlberger-regierungsverhandlungen-offenbar-vor-abschluss/6409238
Omega21
YaBB God

« Reply #1395 on: November 03, 2019, 04:46:13 pm »

BTW: good luck on those. Where and what are you studying ?

Thanks man! Smiley

I am at Uni Wien, studying Economics.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed as well in Hofer's actions. I get he doesn't want any more internal disruptions, but people who are tied to such things should not be allowed a seat in any major party.

I'm also on board with the upcoming coalition now, the FP needs to take things more seriously if they wish to govern again.

As long as everyone sticks to what they are good at, we will hopefully have a good Government. 
rob in cal
YaBB God
« Reply #1396 on: November 03, 2019, 11:11:07 pm »

So lets say an OVP Green government is formed and the Greens don't get many or any real concessions on immigration, but do on other issues like climate change, would the typical Green voter really care that much? It would be an intresting test case of what issue concerns drive the Green electorate.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1397 on: November 05, 2019, 12:27:31 am »

The VP-Green coalition has been approved by both party committees:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000110674169/oevp-und-gruene-einigen-sich-in-vorarlberg

Will be sworn in tomorrow.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1398 on: November 05, 2019, 01:02:30 pm »

After Vorarlberg has renewed its VP-Green coalition today, theres also movement on the federal level:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000110715525/tuerkis-und-gruen-drehen-vorletzte-sondierungsrunde

Today, VP and Greens met again for a few hours and then Friday a last time.

Kurz told reporters that there could already be a decision on Friday night about a coalition and the Greens have set a party committee meeting for Sunday, where they will vote on Kurz and Koglers decision.

Official coalition talks should then start next week and a new government could be ready by Christmas or New Year.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1399 on: November 05, 2019, 01:15:07 pm »

So lets say an OVP Green government is formed and the Greens don't get many or any real concessions on immigration, but do on other issues like climate change, would the typical Green voter really care that much? It would be an intresting test case of what issue concerns drive the Green electorate.

The typical Green voter (like myself) is well aware that this government can only work with some compromise. The Greens should definitely give in on immigration and let the VP continue the successful work of the VP-FP government before on that matter (just without all the Kickl-ish drama in the Interior Ministry and without being too harsh on young asylum seekers in an apprenticeship). After all, the VP got 38% in the election and the Greens 14%. No reason for the Greens to make big demands here, like getting the Interior Ministry etc., while on the other hand, the VP should definitely do something to enforce climate protection. The plastic bag ban with the FP starting next year was a good first step, but it needs more than that: a carbon tax. But not with a new burden on working people, but by shifting the tax burden. Tax diesel fuel more, so that German border crossers are not filling up their cars any longer in the cheaper Austria and a reduction of emissions because of it, while paying back to the middle class the higher fuel prices with a general tax cut.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies