Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:14:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 64
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Sept. 29 federal election ?
ÖVP

SPÖ

FPÖ

NEOS

NOW

Greens

KPÖ

Change

A regional party

Invalid/Blank

I wouldn't vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)  (Read 141898 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: June 10, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »

Kurz+ÖVP will already launch a poster campaign this week and some say it looks like Leni Riefenstahl made it:

Source: free ÖVP poster.

"SPÖ+FPÖ have forced new elections. The people will decide. Our way forward has just begun."

Looking at that campaign poster, I would interpret Rot-Blau as SPÖ-ÖVP? (which obviously doesn't make any sense)

What is ÖVP's official colour? I know they used to use black but now they are also using blue? Or do they call it cyan/turquoise?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #501 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »

Rot-Blau would be SPÖ-FPÖ.

ÖVP is cyan.

Which is nuts, because it was the FPÖ/Strache who first acted to blow up the coalition and then Kurz himself who did it.

But Kurz is doing a good job at framing it in a way that SPÖ and FPÖ are responsible.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #502 on: June 10, 2019, 12:22:29 PM »

I'm not fluent in German, but I think the text says something like: "the red and the blue have determined people has to speak / our path (to victory) just begun". So the message conveyed is that the plots of the other parties won't prevent "the new people's party" conquers the sky (cyan blue, of course)

I'm curious to know why some people say Leni Riefenstahl made it

Also, the official colour of AfD is light blue. Is it a coincidence?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »

On Kurz' poster it says "Die neue Volkspartei". I guess the FPÖ will try to emphasize the opposite in the election campaign and claim the ÖVP is still very much controlled by the old power-hungry establishment that can't be trusted, right?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #504 on: June 11, 2019, 02:07:15 PM »

The election date has been set for September 29, with the votes of SPÖ and FPÖ.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #505 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »

Ewa Dziedzic, Green member of the Bundesrat and who has been mentioned as part of a Doppelspitze in the coming election, has married (despite her family back in Poland being archconservative PiS voters):

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #506 on: June 12, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »

In the 1st day of parliament this week, the election date was confirmed.

https://www.thelocal.at/20190612/austria-set-for-early-elections-on-september-29

Also, with the votes of SPÖ+FPÖ+NOW+NEOS, the KAICIID (King Abdullah Center in Vienna) will be closed down. The ÖVP voted against.

https://derstandard.at/2000104769750/Aussenministerium-will-NR-Beschluss-zu-Abdullah-Zentrum-umsetzen

Also with the votes of SPÖ+FPÖ+NOW, the biocide Glyphosat was banned in Austria (while the EU has not done so and extended the use at least until 2022). Glyphosat is cancerous, kills off bees and other important insects and leads to abnormalities among newborns (see Argentina).

https://www.politico.eu/article/austria-moves-to-ban-glyphosate-this-year/

https://derstandard.at/2000104746897/Glyphosat-Mehrheit-im-Nationalrat-fuer-Verbot-in-Oesterreich
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #507 on: June 12, 2019, 11:08:51 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2019, 11:19:24 AM by Both Sides™ »

Austria to shut Saudi-backed centre

VIENNA (Reuters) – Austria’s government said on Wednesday it plans to shut a Saudi-funded centre for religious dialogue in Vienna after parliament urged it to try to prevent the possible execution of a teenager in Saudi Arabia over acts committed when he was a minor.

The King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz International Centre for Interreligious and Intercultural Dialogue (KAICIID), which was opened in 2012, has long been a lightning rod in Austria for criticism of Saudi Arabia’s human rights record.

Austria’s parliament backed a motion calling on Vienna to quit the treaty on which KAICIID is based and to revoke an agreement that bases it in the Austrian capital.

The motion also called on Austria’s provisional government and the Foreign Ministry to “use all political and diplomatic means available” to prevent the execution of Murtaja Qureiris, an 18-year-old who rights groups say is on trial, accused of offences related to taking part in anti-government protests.

KAICIID and the Saudi embassy in Vienna were not immediately available for comment.

“This is a signal for human rights in Saudi Arabia, which hopefully will be copied by many, not just in Europe,” lawmaker Peter Pilz, author of the motion, said on Twitter.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/12/austria-to-shut-saudi-backed-religious-dialogue-centre-in-rights-protest

Love
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »

The BZÖ wants to try again a last time and run in the coming election, after not doing so in 2017:

https://derstandard.at/2000104731795/Das-BZOe-will-zur-Nationalratswahl-wiederauferstehen

LOL.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2019, 11:19:47 AM »

Now, this is a way to combat the spread of the worst brand of Islamism.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »

What's the reasoning for the FPÖ to ban Glyphosat? This is nothing you would especially expect a right-wing populist party to do. Fighting the EU?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »

What's the reasoning for the FPÖ to ban Glyphosat? This is nothing you would especially expect a right-wing populist party to do. Fighting the EU?

I bolded the important part of what you wrote.

There's a big wing within the FPÖ who has no problems accepting climate change as a fact and the FPÖ also usually is a pro-environmental party. Even more so with Hofer now than with Strache.

The biggest roadblock in the way to banning glyphosate was always the business- and farmer-friendly ÖVP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »

Latest development:

The FPÖ is apparently trying to pressure H.C. Strache to not take his EU parliament seat.

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/druck-auf-strache-zu-verzichten-dafuer-soll-philippa-ins-parlament/400523107

Instead, the FPÖ wants him to become a stay-at-home dad for his newborn son, while his wife Philippa will run on the Vienna FPÖ-list in the coming election so that she can enter parliament and be the breadwinner in the Strache household.
Omega21

« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2019, 12:51:43 PM by Omega21 »

Green voters from Germany shouldn't comment on Glyphosate, you are the reason it got approval in 2017.

In the 1st day of parliament this week, the election date was confirmed.

https://www.thelocal.at/20190612/austria-set-for-early-elections-on-september-29

Also, with the votes of SPÖ+FPÖ+NOW+NEOS, the KAICIID (King Abdullah Center in Vienna) will be closed down. The ÖVP voted against.

https://derstandard.at/2000104769750/Aussenministerium-will-NR-Beschluss-zu-Abdullah-Zentrum-umsetzen

Also with the votes of SPÖ+FPÖ+NOW, the biocide Glyphosat was banned in Austria (while the EU has not done so and extended the use at least until 2022). Glyphosat is cancerous, kills off bees and other important insects and leads to abnormalities among newborns (see Argentina).

https://www.politico.eu/article/austria-moves-to-ban-glyphosate-this-year/

https://derstandard.at/2000104746897/Glyphosat-Mehrheit-im-Nationalrat-fuer-Verbot-in-Oesterreich

Austrian Green didn't vote against Glyphosate???

Looks like you need to switch up your vote Tender, as this is basically one of the most "un-green" things I've ever seen.

Better to drive a 4.0 L Raptor than to spray cancer juice across the country.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2019, 01:52:38 PM »

There's a big wing within the FPÖ who has no problems accepting climate change as a fact and the FPÖ also usually is a pro-environmental party. Even more so with Hofer now than with Strache.

That's not true, the FPÖ are climate change deniers to the bone - remember Strache denying climate change or praising Trump for exiting the Paris agreement? Hofer himself is far more concerned with combatting chemtrails than climate change, their recent seemingly u-turn is entirely due to the fact that they realised which way the wind blows these days.

Austrian Green didn't vote against Glyphosate???

Looks like you need to switch up your vote Tender, as this is basically one of the most "un-green" things I've ever seen.

Better to drive a 4.0 L Raptor than to spray cancer juice across the country.

Seeing as the Greens are currently not in parliament, how could they have voted against it?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #515 on: June 13, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »

A very good way, yes. Now of course, take careful note which party repeatedly votes for symbolic things that don't actually change anything (bans on burqas or headscarfs in primary schools, for instance), but - as the only parliamentary party - voted against this.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #516 on: June 13, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »

Green voters from Germany shouldn't comment on Glyphosate, you are the reason it got approval in 2017.

I haven't the slightest idea what this claim is supposedly based on... Huh
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2019, 02:05:43 PM »

A very good way, yes. Now of course, take careful note which party repeatedly votes for symbolic things that don't actually change anything (bans on burqas or headscarfs in primary schools, for instance), but - as the only parliamentary party - voted against this.
Who are you going to support?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: June 13, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

I'm currently undecided between ÖVP, SPÖ, Greens and NEOS - but I have a tendency for the Greens.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #519 on: June 13, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »

I'm currently undecided between ÖVP, SPÖ, Greens and NEOS - but I have a tendency for the Greens.
When another 2015 happens, you're to blame.
Omega21

« Reply #520 on: June 13, 2019, 02:47:21 PM »

Sorry, I accidentally wrote the wrong year.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/agriculture-food/news/greens-save-glyphosate-from-eu-ban-calls-as-epp-deal-triumphs/

The unusual political agreement between the Greens and EPP led to a rejection of an amendment filed by the GUE/NGL group, which explicitly called for “an immediate EU-wide ban on the production, sale and use of glyphosate and all plant protection products containing glyphosate”.

Seeing as the Greens are currently not in parliament, how could they have voted against it?

Yeah, completely forgot about that lol... In any case, they are all the same, as seen in the article above.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #521 on: June 13, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »

I can oppose mass immigration and vote Green at the same time (especially, since they have learned from their mistakes of the past and shut up about importing people from Africa and the Middle-East right now and focus on what matters and what the party was founded on: environmentalism).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #522 on: June 13, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

I can oppose mass immigration and vote Green at the same time (especially, since they have learned from their mistakes of the past and shut up about importing people from Africa and the Middle-East right now and focus on what matters and what the party was founded on: environmentalism).
Hahahaha. I have a bridge to sell to you.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #523 on: June 13, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »

Sorry, I accidentally wrote the wrong year.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/agriculture-food/news/greens-save-glyphosate-from-eu-ban-calls-as-epp-deal-triumphs/

The unusual political agreement between the Greens and EPP led to a rejection of an amendment filed by the GUE/NGL group, which explicitly called for “an immediate EU-wide ban on the production, sale and use of glyphosate and all plant protection products containing glyphosate”.

Yeah, completely forgot about that lol... In any case, they are all the same, as seen in the article above.

The article's headline "Greens save glyphosate" is overstating quite a bit. As I understand it, the GUE-NGL's proposal still would have failed to win a majority even with the Greens' votes behind it. And voting for the GUE-NGL proposal would have killed the compromise with the EPP "calling for a rethink of the EU’s pesticide approval system", meaning had the Greens voted to ban glyphosate it would have in fact reduced the chances of an actual glyphosate ban in the long run. That's essentially how politics work: what's realistically the best option to achieve progress on a specific issue. You can't ban glyphosate just with the GUE-NGL. But you can work with the EPP to reduce glyphosate.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #524 on: June 13, 2019, 03:32:41 PM »

Greens, no question. For all the flaws the only left-wing party in this country that has both chances of entering parliament (so excluding KPÖ), that's not a personal vanity project (so excluding Pilz/Jetzt) and that (so excluding SPÖ) is not implicit in the system of instiutionalised patronage and corruption under the name of Proporz that has plagued this country for ever. I have nothing positive to say to any party to the right of those.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies