Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:04:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 64
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Sept. 29 federal election ?
ÖVP

SPÖ

FPÖ

NEOS

NOW

Greens

KPÖ

Change

A regional party

Invalid/Blank

I wouldn't vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 5.0 (Burgenland state election - January 26)  (Read 141947 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 15, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »

All remaining absentee ballots have been counted today for the Vorarlberg state election.

The final results:

43.53% ÖVP (+1.73)
18.89% Greens (+1.75)
13.93% FPÖ (-9.49)
  9.46% SPÖ (+0.69)
  8.51% NEOS (+1.62)
  1.86% HAK (+1.86)
  1.50% XI (+1.50)
  0.89% Wandel (+0.89)
  0.69% WIR (+0.05)
  0.34% M (-0.05)
  0.26% CPÖ (-0.23)
  0.14% GILT (+0.14)

Turnout: 61.41% (-2.90)

Seats (36):

17 ÖVP (+1)
  7 Greens (+1)
  5 FPÖ (-4)
  4 SPÖ (+1)
  3 NEOS (+1)

https://orf.at/wahl/vorarlberg19/#ergebnisse/80000

http://apps.vorarlberg.at/wahlen/wahl/LT?id=LT_2019-10-13
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1326 on: October 16, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »

The results of the federal election on September 29 were certified today by the FEC:

https://wahl19.bmi.gv.at

Certificate
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1327 on: October 16, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »

The ÖVP will hold in-depth coalition exploration talks with the SPÖ today.

ÖVP-team:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000109886925/die-staerken-und-schwaechen-der-tuerkisen-verhandler

SPÖ-team:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000109971820/plus-und-minus-der-roten-sondierer
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1328 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »

ÖVP & SPÖ said their exploration talks went surprisingly well today and that the atmosphere was pretty good.

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000110011639/keine-weiteren-sondierungsgespraeche-spoe-will-nur-mehr-verhandeln
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1329 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »

New Ö24 poll:

Greens tied with a record-low FPÖ. The Greens are just 2% away from an all-time record-high (from what I know, they never polled higher than 16%).

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/OeSTERREICH-Umfrage-Mehrheit-fuer-Tuerkis-Gruen/402201078
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1330 on: October 17, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »

Please no grand coalition. There have been enough. The SPÖ should do constructive opposition work and let the Greens show that they can put some meat on bone rather than just talking.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1331 on: October 17, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »

Please no grand coalition. There have been enough. The SPÖ should do constructive opposition work and let the Greens show that they can put some meat on bone rather than just talking.

The SPO only has to look at Germany and the continued surge of the Greens post-election to know their fate if they enter govt.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1332 on: October 18, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »

Today, the ÖVP delegation once again talked with the Greens for 4 hours and then commented that the talks/climate between the delegations were "very positive" and "should continue".

Source: APA/Fohringer

Now, the ÖVP is in talks with NEOS.

https://www.kleinezeitung.at/politik/innenpolitik/5708079/Koalition_Gruene-nach-Gespraechen-zufrieden-jetzt-sind-die-Neos-dran

Also, 6 parties will be on the Styria state election ballot on Nov. 24:

ÖVP, SPÖ, FPÖ, Greens, NEOS and KPÖ.

https://steiermark.orf.at/stories/3017859
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1333 on: October 18, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »

Breaking News:

After the FPÖ („took themselves out of the game“), Kurz has now also ruled out more exploration talks with the SPÖ, saying „they still seem to be too divided internally“.

But Kurz and the ÖVP have scheduled another round of extensive talks with Greens and NEOS next week (Monday, Tuesday & Friday. On Wednesday, the new parliament will have its inaugural session).

It is possible that Kurz also wants to take NEOS on board as coalition partner, because all 3 parties gained in the election.

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000110069939/kurz-vertieft-sich-in-gruene-und-neos
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1334 on: October 18, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »

Liste Pilz/Jetzt‘s days are numbered.

They gave their final press conference today and announced that they still have 1.4 million € of public party funding left - which they will repay to the state.

They hope that most of their parliamentary staff will be immediately taken in and hired by the Greens, which they have signaled they will. The Greens will need at least 70 staff for their new parliament group, which will take office next Wednesday. If they get 3-4 cabinet posts in a future government, they will even need more staff.

The party „List Pilz“ will not be dissolved for now, but will also not be active any longer - such as in state elections.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1335 on: October 18, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »

The FPÖ has decided to delete the Strache Facebook page with 800.000 followers, after Strache set an ultimatum for Friday night and threatened the party with a long court battle over admin rights.

Strache argues that the page belongs to him, the party says it is their page.

Facebook recently dealt a blow to the FPÖ, arguing that the Strache page cannot be merged with the FPÖ/Hofer/Kickl page, as only pages with similar names and content can be merged.

The Strache page has always been extremely important for the FPÖ because of its coverage of 800.000 followers, much larger than for any other party.

https://m.facebook.com/HCStrache/

https://orf.at/stories/3141367/

Strache also has a private Facebook page, but with only 50.000 followers so far.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1336 on: October 18, 2019, 11:53:15 PM »

One thing that has not really been mentioned by the media so far, but which could be a major factor for the creation of an ÖVP-Greens-NEOS coalition:

Robert Luschnik, member of the NEOS exploration team, worked more than 25 years for the Greens before joining NEOS this year as their new general secretary and campaign manager.

He was the Green parliamentary group coordinator for several years, then their general secretary and worked to elect President VdB.

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000110015525/die-skills-und-spills-der-pinken-sondierer
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1337 on: October 19, 2019, 04:19:46 AM »

The weekly "profil" magazine poll shows priorities of voters for the coming government:

27% environmental/climate protection
24% immigration/integration/asylum
24% tax reform/tax cuts
11% economic and labour market measures/unemployment
  3% financing of the army

I guess "profil" only asked those 5 broader topics and not more, because those are the ones that were talked about most during the campaign.

The interesting thing is that while 75% of Green voters rate the environment as the most important issue to tackle for the new government, only 18% of ÖVP voters say so. ÖVP voters' most important topic still is immigration/integration/asylum with 31%. FPÖ voters of course want immigration "solved" (52%), while SPÖ and NEOS voters rank the environment first, followed by tax reform and tax cuts and immigration only 3rd.

https://www.profil.at/oesterreich/umfrage-kluft-oevp-gruen-umwelt-klimaschutz-11180247
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1338 on: October 19, 2019, 06:31:53 AM »

ATV has polled the electability of a "List Strache":

4% would definitely vote for such a list
12% would probably vote for it
10% would probably not vote for it
67% would definitely not vote for it

Among FPÖ-voters only:

14% would definitely vote for such a list
35% would probably vote for it
19% would probably not vote for it
24% would definitely not vote for it

OTS Link
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1339 on: October 20, 2019, 12:40:37 AM »

So, the 5 new parliamentary groups will assemble for the 1st time at their quarters on Tuesday for work meetings and the new parliament will convene on Wednesday for its inaugural session.

The seating order has now been set as well.

SPÖ > Greens > NEOS > FPÖ > ÖVP

39% are women (58% Greens, 48% SPÖ, 40% NEOS, 37% ÖVP, 17% FPÖ)

29% are new MPs (89% Greens*, 47% NEOS, 23% SPÖ, 16% ÖVP, 7% FPÖ)

* Theoretically, 100% of Greens should be "new" - but Kogler, Maurer and Zadic have already been MPs before.

Philippa Strache has until Wednesday to decide if she'll take her seat or not. Ahead of the meeting, the parliamentary clerk will issue entrance cards to parliament for the new MPs to serve. Until then, she will have to decide. If she takes the seat, she will sit behind the SPÖ as an independent MP (thrown out from the FPÖ group). If not, Markus Tschank will replace her.

Cool chart (click to enlarge):

Source: BMI

Link (WZ)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1340 on: October 20, 2019, 02:28:32 AM »

The youngest MPs will be 24 (1x NEOS, 1x ÖVP).

The oldest - and this is the most interesting part - is just 65.

Which means that among 183 members of parliament, nobody will be older than 65.

Compare that with the US for example, which has a young society but mostly old people (65+) in Congress and running for President.

The Greens have a migrant share of 25% among their MPs, which is funny because among 26 people that would be 6.5 people.

I'm only counting 6:

* Meri Disoski (Macedonian origin)
* Faika El-Nagashi (Egyptian/Hungarian)
* Ewa Ernst-Dziedzic (Poland)
* Bedrana Ribo (Bosnia)
* Alma Zadic (Bosnia)
* Süleyman Zorba (Turkey)

The SPÖ has 2/40 with a migrant background: 2 women (Turkey)

NEOS has 1/15: Korean-Indian

The FPÖ has nobody with a migrant background and there's no info for the ÖVP MPs (but looking at their names, I guess none).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1341 on: October 20, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »

This is good:

„Out of the FPÖ family album: BFFs.“
Omega21

« Reply #1342 on: October 20, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2019, 03:00:28 PM by Omega21 »

Compare that with the US for example, which has a young society but mostly old people (65+) in Congress and running for President.

The Greens have a migrant share of 25% among their MPs, which is funny because among 26 people that would be 6.5 people.

I'm only counting 6:

* Bedrana Ribo (Bosnia)
* Alma Zadic (Bosnia)

The FPÖ has nobody with a migrant background and there's no info for the ÖVP MPs (but looking at their names, I guess none).

Do you know why no other nationalities are represented? Most seem to be Bosniak/Turkish.

Not that I mind, just asking why they are not pursuing a representative number according to the population (like 50% of MPs being women).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1343 on: October 20, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »

I'm only counting 6:

* Bedrana Ribo (Bosnia)
* Alma Zadic (Bosnia)

Do you know why no other nationalities are represented? Most seem to be Bosniak/Turkish/Albanian.

Not that I mind, just asking why they are not pursuing a representative number according to the population (like 50% of MPs being women).

This is mostly a right-wing problem, as you can see from my numbers. The ÖVP usually has a few, the FPÖ basically never.

I guess the FPÖ doesn’t want representatives with a migrant background, unless they have a German or Serb background.

Among Austrian citizens, ca. 10% have a migrant background. +16% actual foreigners in the country who cannot vote.

So if we just take into account the citizens with a migrant background, then the Greens have above average shares, while SPÖ and NEOS are largely around the average.

The reason why most MPs with a migrant background are Turks, Balkan folks or Eastern Europeans is very obvious.
Omega21

« Reply #1344 on: October 20, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »

I'm only counting 6:

* Bedrana Ribo (Bosnia)
* Alma Zadic (Bosnia)

Do you know why no other nationalities are represented? Most seem to be Bosniak/Turkish/Albanian.

This is mostly a right-wing problem, as you can see from my numbers. The ÖVP usually has a few, the FPÖ basically never.

I guess the FPÖ doesn’t want representatives with a migrant background, unless they have a German or Serb background.

Among Austrian citizens, ca. 10% have a migrant background. +16% actual foreigners in the country who cannot vote.

So if we just take into account the citizens with a migrant background, then the Greens have above average shares, while SPÖ and NEOS are largely around the average.

The reason why most MPs with a migrant background are Turks, Balkan folks or Eastern Europeans is very obvious.

I guess you're right. In terms of numbers Turks and Serbs share 2nd spot after Germans, but probably since Muslims usually align more with parties who are in favour of open-door policies they are more represented within them.

As far as I know, the FPÖ doesn't really even have any Germans or Serbs in their ranks, they are still pretty Vanilla, although it will be interesting to see Stache's picks if he decides to form his own Party/List.

Interesting times are ahead, for better or worse I guess.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1345 on: October 20, 2019, 11:26:10 PM »

I'm only counting 6:

* Bedrana Ribo (Bosnia)
* Alma Zadic (Bosnia)

I guess you're right. In terms of numbers Turks and Serbs share 2nd spot after Germans, but probably since Muslims usually align more with parties who are in favour of open-door policies they are more represented within them.

As far as I know, the FPÖ doesn't really even have any Germans or Serbs in their ranks, they are still pretty Vanilla, although it will be interesting to see Stache's picks if he decides to form his own Party/List.

Interesting times are ahead, for better or worse I guess.

As for Germans in the FPÖ, I don't know, because they are name-wise very similar to Austrians. One would have to look up the biographies and screen if they were born in Germany or to German parents.

As for Serbs, the FPÖ had 2 on their EU list in May.

Vesna Schuster and Konstantin Dobrilović.

Schuster would actually have been elected to the EU parliament if the FPÖ got a 4th seat.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1346 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »

Philippa Strache still has not decided if she will take her seat in the National Council when it convenes on Wednesday.

Previously, I thought she would have to make up her mind until the inaugural session starts, but the ORF reports that there is actually nothing in the law that says so.

She could also skip the session and be sworn in during a following session ...

https://orf.at/#/stories/3141579/

Meanwhile, the SPÖ is a total clusterf**k with ongoing internal intrigues like before the election.

https://orf.at/#/stories/3141610/
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1347 on: October 21, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »

Meanwhile, the SPÖ is a total clusterf**k with ongoing internal intrigues like before the election.

Being in a total clusterf**k over internal intrigues is pretty common for European social democratic parties, amrite?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1348 on: October 21, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »

Being in a total clusterf**k over internal intrigues is pretty common for European social democratic parties, amrite?

Not sure about other countries, but the image the SPÖ has displayed to voters over the past week has been very troubling, if not worse than what the FPÖ is producing right now with the Strache Facebook shutdown and Philippa's seat.

If voters get the impression that the SPÖ is out-of-control, how should they put them "in control" ?

In the latest case, someone from within the SPÖ leaked to the media a consulting contract for Max Lercher, their former general secretary from Styria (state elections next month !) for which he or his company gets paid 20.000€ per month. Also, representatives of the SPÖ, the party for the small working man and woman, are driving around in 100k € Porsches and wear Rolex watches worth a couple thousand € ...

Who still needs enemies, when you have a leaking mole in your party ? Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1349 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »

Kurz (ÖVP) and Kogler (Greens) talked for 5 hours in private yesterday evening.

They agreed for all-day negotiations on Friday with their delegations, but said that the exploration rounds will take another few weeks, considering ÖVP and Greens are miles apart on several issues and the Greens are new in parliament and need time to accustom themselves to parliamentary work.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies