Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:35:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 130275 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: November 15, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »

Her handling of this healthcare plan and the distracting sideshow with the billionaire feuds has really lowered my confidence in her ability to beat Trump

You really think the billionaire fights are hurting her?  Also, I think She's handling the health care thing as well as she can. M4A would be a political loser for any frontrunner, but she's doing a pretty good job at making that shet sandwich palatable.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1951 on: November 15, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »

Her handling of this healthcare plan and the distracting sideshow with the billionaire feuds has really lowered my confidence in her ability to beat Trump

You really think the billionaire fights are hurting her?  Also, I think She's handling the health care thing as well as she can. M4A would be a political loser for any frontrunner, but she's doing a pretty good job at making that shet sandwich palatable.

Funny, isn't that exactly what they said about "The Wall" back in 2016?  How 'bout closing Gitmo in '08? The very foundation of economics as we know it today that has convinced too much of the political world that M4A is a loser was itself a loser, dubbed "voodoo economics" back in 1980.

I'll bet Warren is annoyed AF that Sanders saddled the party with this stupid M4A debate when none of these comprehensive plans have a chance of making through the Senate anyway. She'd obviously much rather be talking about fighting corruption.

She didn't have to endorse it. She and every other Johnny-come-lately presidential hopeful out of the senate could have signed on to Bennet's Medicare X instead.

For some stupid reason, they preferred to sign on to Sanders-style health care reform without really committing to Medicare for All. Did Warren, Harris, et al. expect to get through the primaries without ever fielding serious questions on health care?

It's so obvious that they're only pretending to support single payer because of Bernie. I think Gravel was the only other candidate to support single payer before Hillary lost.

I disagree.  I think they all support single payer. But they're also aware a single payer plan will never make it through Congress and don't want to waste their time in office fighting a doomed battle over health care when they could be focusing on areas where significant progress might actually be made.  If Democrats win the Senate, we'll get increased Obamacare subsidies, some more cost control measures, and maybe some kind of public option. Which is all pretty good!

And anyway, Sanders isn't serious about single payer either.  He's not even willing to go as far as Warren is presenting a plan to pay for it, and that tells you all you need to know. 

He wrote the damn bill, so of course he has plans to pay for it.

He has pointedly refused to give even the barest details of how he'd pay for his plan. He's not serious about actually passing his bill.

And what exactly where FDR's plans in 1932 for this "New Deal"? Do tell.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1952 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »

I am so excited, if Dems get the Trifecta, we can finally end Soft money which is desperately needed; coincidentally,  McConnell, with blocking Garland blocked it from happening, but its gonna happen.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1953 on: November 15, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »

"Ooops, I lost the House in the midterms. So much for that promise." - Warren Any Democrat
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1954 on: November 15, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »

Funny, isn't that exactly what they said about "The Wall" back in 2016?  How 'bout closing Gitmo in '08? The very foundation of economics as we know it today that has convinced too much of the political world that M4A is a loser was itself a loser, dubbed "voodoo economics" back in 1980.

I'll bet Warren is annoyed AF that Sanders saddled the party with this stupid M4A debate when none of these comprehensive plans have a chance of making through the Senate anyway. She'd obviously much rather be talking about fighting corruption.

She didn't have to endorse it. She and every other Johnny-come-lately presidential hopeful out of the senate could have signed on to Bennet's Medicare X instead.

For some stupid reason, they preferred to sign on to Sanders-style health care reform without really committing to Medicare for All. Did Warren, Harris, et al. expect to get through the primaries without ever fielding serious questions on health care?

It's so obvious that they're only pretending to support single payer because of Bernie. I think Gravel was the only other candidate to support single payer before Hillary lost.

I disagree.  I think they all support single payer. But they're also aware a single payer plan will never make it through Congress and don't want to waste their time in office fighting a doomed battle over health care when they could be focusing on areas where significant progress might actually be made.  If Democrats win the Senate, we'll get increased Obamacare subsidies, some more cost control measures, and maybe some kind of public option. Which is all pretty good!

And anyway, Sanders isn't serious about single payer either.  He's not even willing to go as far as Warren is presenting a plan to pay for it, and that tells you all you need to know. 

He wrote the damn bill, so of course he has plans to pay for it.

He has pointedly refused to give even the barest details of how he'd pay for his plan. He's not serious about actually passing his bill.

And what exactly where FDR's plans in 1932 for this "New Deal"? Do tell.

These are collosally dumb takes. Trump won despite the racist wall bs, not because of it. And 2020 is not 1932.  Or do you really think the next Democratic president is going to have the Congressional majorities FDR had?
new_patomic

« Reply #1955 on: November 15, 2019, 11:56:23 PM »

So, this has been messy, to some extent.

But I think she's trying her best with the circumstances presented to her. It's hard to out-flank Bernie on healthcare but neither can she be seen as abandoning M4A especially at this point. She doesn't want to keep getting lost in the weeds of the M4A debate nor set it up that her not making it her single biggest push once she wins a failure. It's an incredibly narrow tightrope to walk, and being committed to M4A while publicly advocating for a quick expansion of Medicare early on instead seems like a decent enough bridging of it.

YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1956 on: November 16, 2019, 12:18:14 AM »

I'm de-sticyking this. Feel free to continue to argue the current subject but otherwise, this will be locked within 24 hours (not doing it now in case anyone here wants to quote each other).
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1957 on: November 16, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »

Can't wait for #YearThree. If it wasn't clear to some before, Warren is not the real deal. She's masquerading as a progressive champion, but at the heart of her campaign is the same tone-deaf establishment that ran Hillary's Presidential chances into the ground. Her campaign against Trump would be laughable and she would lose.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1958 on: November 16, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »

Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO Blankfein attack on her shows how scared these guys are and everybody should be thrilled about that.

Transitioning to a single payer universal system isn't going to be as easy as flipping a light switch but it will ultimately be the best thing for this nation. When did Americans become so complacent and uninspired? This country used to take good ideas from elsewhere and make them better. Now all we do is complain that everything is too expensive to even try and bog down good ideas in ideological based legislation.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies